Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread **READ POST #1 IN FULL**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Spot On
    I work in a kindergarten atm (good prep for modding, looking to move back into the media but thats another issue...) and one thing I always have to deal with from the 4 year olds is the consistancy issue...

I catch a kid pushing another kid and I stop him and he gets in trouble for his actions which he will later admit are wrong. First however he will immediatley say (wether its true or not) that someone else pushed him, be that then or previously. I dont know if this is true at this time but I do know what he did. I say that it doesent matter what someone else does what he did is wrong, explain why its wrong (its against the forum charter) and he gets in trouble for it. If someone else did something wrong he should have told a teacher (reported it).

Yes sometimes things get reported and not acted upon but that does not mean because you spot this it means a loophole in the rules has been created you can exploit.

People say more mods wont solve the more consistancy problem you speak of too but tbh more mods mean more people getting reported post updates and checking them so more than likely less things would be missed which could be considerd as inconsistancies, so I cant see how it wouldnt help.

That isn't what I was saying though. I don't think I should be allowed to get away with breaches of the charter.

My issue is when I get infracted for very mild things (some of them that I would never have thought would be breaches of the charter, and always by the same mod), and then I see and report fullon abuse, and it gos under the radar.

If I didn't report these other instances, I would have no cause for complaint, but I do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That isn't what I was saying though. I don't think I should be allowed to get away with breaches of the charter.

My issue is when I get infracted for very mild things (some of them that I would never have thought would be breaches of the charter, and always by the same mod), and then I see and report fullon abuse, and it gos under the radar.

If I didn't report these other instances, I would have no cause for complaint, but I do.

Tbh I'm not sure why I quoted you with that guess just cos it was the most recent post with regard consistency.

Obviously I'm not 100% sure on the exact breaches of the charter nor the mod you mention But everyone is obliged to read the charter and agrees to post in accordance with it, so if you break the charter rules be it in your opinion mild or not then a mod should take action against you.

As said above, and as you pointed out, this does not always happen for whatever reason but that does not affect what you (or whoever has done and how the mod should deal with you) so although posters just like my kingergarden kids will always have complaints, complaining about others actions won't affect how you are dealt with was the general gist of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Spot On
    It's funny.
    LOI fans think it's too strict.
    Those who don't engage in debate think it's spot on
    The EPL fans think it's too lenient!

Funny, funny world. LOI forum please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

BOHtox wrote: »
    It's funny.
    LOI fans think it's too strict.
    Those who don't engage in debate think it's spot on
    The EPL fans think it's too lenient!

Funny, funny world. LOI forum please
    It's funny how you seem to be able to categorise every poster in the soccer forum.
    At a quick glance I can see plenty of contradictions to your theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Spot On
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    It's funny how you seem to be able to categorise every poster in the soccer forum.
    At a quick glance I can see plenty of contradictions to your theory.

I'm not proposing a theory of evolution here just had simple glance at the votes.

Also, definitely I agree with changing the access to the forum.

100 posts and 2 months or 200 posts in 3 months is a great idea as someone proposed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Haven't checked this in a few days, last time I think the mods said they were hoping to add more mods soon, has there been any movement? (Not the GK and BH appointments) Have the users in question been rejected or turned the positions down?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

kryogen wrote: »
    Haven't checked this in a few days, last time I think the mods said they were hoping to add more mods soon, has there been any movement? (Not the GK and BH appointments) Have the users in question been rejected or turned the positions down?

just been a bit slow in happening nobody has been rejected... yet! optimistic we will have another mod soon enough myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The process is taking a bit of time at an end higher up that the SF mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

G.K. wrote: »
    The process is taking a bit of time at an end higher up that the SF mods.
    needless admin red tape.

how strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

kryogen wrote: »

It's quite annoying. The user in question was asked if he fancied it over a week ago and as soon as he said yes I bumped it up to get him Modded and still nothing. They have been approved though and are on their way, eventually.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    But when an LOI fan starts slinging those types of insults at non LOI fans it seems to be just accepted.
    It's because the mods are blind to any thread or posts that mention the LoI, they just aren't modded, and we just have to accept it unfortunately.

Anyway, you are being extremely one-eyed in this criticism. I guarantee you in any LoI related thread (apart from the excellent weekly threads started by stovelid this season) you'll get some smart arse wanker along with the ignorant "I went to one game and it's shíte" - difference, it's not always the same wanker.

So, you complain about the militant LoIers, but fail to even acknowledge there is also a problem on the other side.

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Frisbee wrote: »
    It's quite annoying. The user in question was asked if he fancied it over a week ago and as soon as he said yes I bumped it up to get him Modded and still nothing. They have been approved though and are on their way, eventually.

Can we start a poll on who we think it is? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Des wrote: »
    It's because the mods are blind to any thread or posts that mention the LoI, they just aren't modded, and we just have to accept it unfortunately.

Anyway, you are being extremely one-eyed in this criticism. I guarantee you in any LoI related thread (apart from the excellent weekly threads started by stovelid this season) you'll get some smart arse wanker along with the ignorant "I went to one game and it's shíte" - difference, it's not always the same wanker.

So, you complain about the militant LoIers, but fail to even acknowledge there is also a problem on the other side.

Cool.

TBF I don't read those threads so I didn't know. If you say there are **** posting those type of wanky comments in the LOI threads then I think they should be infracted too. Absolutely.

<Edit:> Actually I do read LOI threads sometimes and I remember what you are talking about now. It might not always be as clear cut that those lads are wuming, especially if the discussion is about why people should go to the LOI, but often enough there are indeed obvious trolls slagging off the LOI just for the sake of it.</Edit>

Also, I'll add my vote for making an LOI mod. The situation that you describe it as being now sounds very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Too Lenient
    I know its been said a thousand million times but a LoI sub-forum with a mod that is well versed in all goings on with the LoI is about the best way forward once they were approved by the Mod's, CMod's and Admin's, possibly with input from the LoI supporters nominating who they feel is the best candidates.

The other side of the argument is there enough interest from LoI supporters to sustain an active sub forum where only LoI is discussed when surely the " Superthreads " on the main SF could do the business also.

TBF I think a bit of cop on from all sides would go a long way as we all have the choice to support a team from down the road, whether they be MSL, LSL, LoI or a team from across the globe.

Less antagonising of each other would be great and that goes for all supporters across the SF, sadly I dont think thats possible all the time as one persons banter is another persons abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »

Since a few posters hung up their boots, that sort of thing doesn't really pop up in our weekly LOI thread: it's more wherever non-LOI supporters have a reason to converge: like sniffing a bandwagon in the champions league match threads and so on.

Funny as well that banter phrases like barstooler cause such splenetic outrage among EPL supporters when their own match threads are often near-ungovernable due to far worse banter. Most of the time, the LOI heads by and large are the only large group of rival supporters that banter and sometimes argue between themselves without requiring a UN-scale moderator intervention.

stovelid wrote: »
    Funny as well that banter phrases like barstooler cause such splenetic outrage among EPL supporters when their own match threads are often near-ungovernable due to far worse banter. Most of the time, the LOI heads by and large are the only large group of rival supporters that banter and sometimes argue between themselves without requiring a UN-scale moderator intervention.

No surprise to see you defending this stuff.
    Plus getting in your own little bandwagon dig. Well done.

Banter? My hole. Comments like CiaranC's above are nothing like banter, they are obnoxious abuse with the sole purpose of insulting all the non LOI fans.

There is a lot of crap that's posted in match threads and super threads, nobody is denying that. But the rules are enforced, as they should be. There is no reason why those rules should be ignored when the abuse/trolling is aimed at fans of entire leagues.

Your argument is pure whataboutery.

Since a few posters hung up their boots, that sort of thing doesn't really pop up in our weekly LOI thread: it's more wherever non-LOI supporters have a reason to converge: like sniffing a bandwagon in the champions league match threads and so on.

That is neither here nor there when it comes to the moderation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Actually, some of my match going friends and family in England slag off some of their own fellow supporters for not going to games. You get it in all leagues, clubs and countries. I'm sure their mates that watch in bars just tell them to fuck off.

If you support football the way you want to, take the slagging on the chin. Blowing up about it shows that it clearly hits a nerve.

As with most things in here: it's not the banter that is an issue: it's the sensitivity to same. Look at the weekly LOI thread for a relatively peaceful chat with fair amount of banter and sometimes rows but with no lasting effects this season. (Jinxing it now...)

I can see the point about the phrase purely in terms of the reaction that it causes and the resultant moderator workload but at the end of the day, as banter, it's more harmless than the "banter" (and the resultant hypersensitivity to same) that ends up with EPL threads (dealing with two teams) sucking up nearly all the moderator bandwidth on the forum.

As for "bandwagoning" being a dig: there's only so many times you can endure a big European match thread suddenly being overun with experts on Irish football that were ripping the piss out of it the week before. If you used a Liverpool match thread to start an earnest discourse on the state of Engish football, you'd be fucked out.

Actually, some of my macth going friends and family in England slag off some of their own fellow supporters for not going to games. You get it in all leagues, clubs and countries.

I can see the point about the phrase purely in terms of the reaction that it causes and the resultant moderator workload but at the end of the day, ias banter, it's a bit more harmless (albeit one that clearly strikes a nerve) than the "banter" (and the resultant hypersensitivity to same) that ends up with EPL threads dealing with two teams sucking up nearly all the moderator bandwidth on the forum.

Comments like CiaranC's above are not banter. They're not harmless and they achieve nothing other than LOI-EPL shìtefests. There's no other way you can dress that up.

He refers to the rest of the forum as ''cringeworthy barstooler EPL bullshìt''. What I said is true. Those types of comments directed at a specific club's set of fans would get an infraction. There is no reason why that shouldn't be the case when those comments are directed at entire leagues of fans.
    As for "bandwagoning" being a dig: there's only so many times you can endure a big European match thread suddenly being overun with experts on Irish football that were ripping the piss out of it the week before. If you used a Liverpool match thread to stat a dsicourse on the state of Engish football, you'd be fucked out.

That's fair enough. I'm sure that gets annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Actually, some of my match going friends and family in England slag off some of their own fellow supporters for not going to games. You get it in all leagues, clubs and countries. I'm sure their mates that watch in bars just tell them to fuck off.

If you support football the way you want to, take the slagging on the chin. Blowing up about it shows that it clearly hits a nerve.

As with most things in here: it's not the banter that is an issue: it's the sensitivity to same. Look at the weekly LOI thread for a relatively peaceful chat with fair amount of banter and sometimes rows but with no lasting effects this season. (Jinxing it now...)

I can see the point about the phrase purely in terms of the reaction that it causes and the resultant moderator workload but at the end of the day, as banter, it's more harmless than the "banter" (and the resultant hypersensitivity to same) that ends up with EPL threads (dealing with two teams) sucking up nearly all the moderator bandwidth on the forum.

As for "bandwagoning" being a dig: there's only so many times you can endure a big European match thread suddenly being overun with experts on Irish football that were ripping the piss out of it the week before. If you used a Liverpool match thread to start an earnest discourse on the state of Engish football, you'd be fucked out.

In fairness 90% of the posts are non LOI so it will be far more noticeable, it only takes a couple of muppets to derail a match thread and it isn't just the EPL, Spanish football sees it too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Are these type posts allowed these days?

Reported it a few days ago yet sweet FA done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Give it but can't take it eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Give it but can't take it eh...

Give what? Wtf are you on about? Anytime I've abused a player I've been rightly infracted, no problem with it. Mods should be consistent with these types of posts especially when they have been reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Spot On
    Give what? Wtf are you on about? Anytime I've abused a player I've been rightly infracted, no problem with it. Mods should be consistent with these types of posts especially when they have been reported.

You shouldn't really be having a go at mods willy, they should have banned you by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Did those posts get deleted so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Looks like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Pro. F wrote: »
    He refers to the rest of the forum as ''cringeworthy barstooler EPL bullshìt''. What I said is true. Those types of comments directed at a specific club's set of fans would get an infraction. There is no reason why that shouldn't be the case when those comments are directed at entire leagues of fans.
    But its not directed at an entire leagues fans, I know plenty of regular matchgoing EPL fans whose opinions I have loads of time for and know far more about football and football culture than I ever will.

The fact is that a lot of traditional matchgoing fans think people who arbitrarily decide to support some mega sucessful team miles away from them through a TV and never go to matches are eejits who they have nothing in common with.

You cant create rules on a general football forum to legislate a commonly held belief out of existance just because it hits a nerve with barstoolers and hurts their feelings. If this was officially an EPL forum it would be different, which is why I think they should be split.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Too Lenient
    CiaranC wrote: »
    But its not directed at an entire leagues fans, I know plenty of regular matchgoing EPL fans whose opinions I have loads of time for and know far more about football and football culture than I ever will.

The fact is that a lot of traditional matchgoing fans think people who arbitrarily decide to support some mega sucessful team miles away from them through a TV and never go to matches are eejits who they have nothing in common with.

You cant create rules on a general football forum to legislate a commonly held belief out of existance just because it hits a nerve with barstoolers and hurts their feelings. If this was officially an EPL forum it would be different, which is why I think they should be split.

I agree on one thing, the splitting up of the forum.

While the 'barstoolers' watch a brand of exciting and skillful football where some of the worlds best compete against each other, the LOI isn't quite there. I can see why misunderstood fans like yourself would find that annoying.

So maybe create a subforum, and then it would make it very easy to spot WUM's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

lordgoat wrote: »
    While the 'barstoolers' watch a brand of exciting and skillful football where some of the worlds best compete against each other, the LOI isn't quite there. I can see why misunderstood fans like yourself would find that annoying.
    You think the root issue here is that LOI fans are jealous of people watching television? If thats a wind up, youll have to try harder.

You wouldnt create a 'Music' forum on boards, populate it with Justin Bieber and Death Metal fans, refuse to create genre subforums and then complain when people constantly got into arguments about the nature of music, so why do it with the football forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Big welcome to gavredking as the latest addition to the Soccer Mod team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement