Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Grant? is it possible?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've recently graduated with BSc in Computer Science, however I am having this period of life where I just seek to learn and would love to go and do another degree.
    I am 22 and I wouldn't want to say do another 4 years, but rather some level 6/7 course of 1-2 years.

I was on grants scheme with DCC before, would I be legible to apply for another grant for new course? or is it one time option only?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

If you already have a degree at Level 8 you would only be eligible for further funding if you were to progress to postgraduate studies.
    Maybe you should look up the springboard courses and see if you are eligible. Some of the courses are part-time day studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Sup08 wrote: »
    If you already have a degree at Level 8 you would only be eligible for further funding if you were to progress to postgraduate studies.
    Maybe you should look up the springboard courses and see if you are eligible. Some of the courses are part-time day studies.

Yeah I've decided to do masters degree now.
    I assume I can get some kind of grant for it? I am under 23 and have been getting highest grant available for level 8 course for past 4 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The postgraduate grants only cover fees not fees and maintenance

Stheno wrote: »
    The postgraduate grants only cover fees not fees and maintenance

Yeah fees is all I need covered.

arleitiss wrote: »
    Yeah fees is all I need covered.

It does not cover all of the fees.
    It is only a contribution of €2000 if your household reckonable income is below the thresholds.
    There is also a special rate of €6250 where the income of the household is below €22703 and in receipt of a qualifying sw payment.

• Advertisement

It does not cover all of the fees.
    It is only a contribution of €2000 if your household reckonable income is below the thresholds.
    There is also a special rate of €6250 where the income of the household is below €22703 and in receipt of a qualifying sw payment.

Well I live only with my mother, shes in full time education which was paid by social welfare (shes on social welfare)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Sorry to hijack thread but have a similar question, just been accepted into a post grad course in NUIG, and im hoping to get SUSI to help pay my fees as I am currently backpacking across Australia and haven't been home since late 2013 when I graduated from my Post Grad, will my chances receiving the grant be harder since I have been away from Ireland for nearly 2 years? I will also be a mature student 27, but living at home for the duration of the course

Sorry to hijack thread but have a similar question, just been accepted into a post grad course in NUIG, and im hoping to get SUSI to help pay my fees as I am currently backpacking across Australia and haven't been home since late 2013 when I graduated from my Post Grad, will my chances receiving the grant be harder since I have been away from Ireland for nearly 2 years? I will also be a mature student 27, but living at home for the duration of the course

As long as you have residency of 3 years of the last 5 years you may be eligible.
    The thresholds remain the same as above with the upper limit of 31,500 for a household income where there are less than 4 siblings. The amount of grant Contribution for this if you qualified would be 2000.
    If you were to try and be an independent mature student you would have to remain independent upon your return home and not return to your parents before the course starts. This would also be inclusive of having a 3 year break or more since you last time in education if you were previously classed as dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

As long as you have residency of 3 years of the last 5 years you may be eligible.
    The thresholds remain the same as above with the upper limit of 31,500 for a household income where there are less than 4 siblings. The amount of grant Contribution for this if you qualified would be 2000.
    If you were to try and be an independent mature student you would have to remain independent upon your return home and not return to your parents before the course starts. This would also be inclusive of having a 3 year break or more since you last time in education if you were previously classed as dependent.

Thanks for the reply, for the 3 year break, would that begin from the start of my final year in college? (Sept 2012) or from when I finished which was May 2013? If I were to go as independent what information do I need to provide as if I don't end up living at home, I would be living with the owner of the place I would be renting in the city where I am doing my postgrad, would a letter from my landlord suffice as all bills would be in his name?

Thanks for the reply, for the 3 year break, would that begin from the start of my final year in college? (Sept 2012) or from when I finished which was May 2013? If I were to go as independent what information do I need to provide as if I don't end up living at home, I would be living with the owner of the place I would be renting in the city where I am doing my postgrad, would a letter from my landlord suffice as all bills would be in his name?

The break from study is counted by academic year. If you finished in 12/13, then you must have had a break from 13/14, 14/15 and 15/16 and would not be eligible to change class until 16/17.
    Letters from Landlords do not suffice as evidence of independent residency, if you have a lease from the landlord or a a rent a room agreement with the landlord should be registered for.
    Mobile phone bills or general bank statements are not accepted as the bill or statement must relate to a utility or loan/mortgage related to the property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement