Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Back in the 26th for 2 hours then properly on the Friday! Not looking forward to it tbh I'm totally stuck in my summer routine

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    Finally have both work experience and community care sorted (after emailing about 20 places).

Off to carlingford, the week before results. Is anyone nervous yet? I'm grand, but my friends are bricking it because they failed stuff. When is everyone back in? I'll be in on wednesday but our induction is on friday :(

Oh I'm going to Carlingford in October!:D bit nervous as I think I failed science :(

I'm starting back on the 27th, in for the whole day, extremely nervous about who I'm.gonna be put in in my tutor group :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

I'm starting back on the 27th, in for the whole day, extremely nervous about who I'm.gonna be put in in my tutor group :(

Me too, we were able to write down names of 4 people we wanted in our class. At least 1 is guaranteed but they try to give you your first preference.

The problem is, I have 3 really close friends, and I know I'll probably end up stuck in a class alone with my 4th preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

We are back Thursday week :) I'm kind of nervous for the results but at the same time I will be glad to get them and finally have the Junior cert over with :)
    I can't wait for work experience but we do a lot of sports activities in TY and I am not sporty in the slightest...:(
    We are just put into random TY groups and we are not allowed move from one group to another. I don't mind that because there was a load of drama with my friends last year and I will be glad to get away from some of them!

• Advertisement

How academic is TY in your schools? My year always gets the raw deal (second year trip to barcelona happened for years and ended the year we were meant to go). We've been told that this year, there'll be more focus on actually learning in class (was actually looking forward to a doss year). Also, our summer exams will decide the classes/levels for the leaving.

I know my class already and I'm so happy with it! Got 2 of my best friends in it :D

How academic is TY in your schools? My year always gets the raw deal (second year trip to barcelona happened for years and ended the year we were meant to go). We've been told that this year, there'll be more focus on actually learning in class (was actually looking forward to a doss year). Also, our summer exams will decide the classes/levels for the leaving.

We have Christmas & summer tests but I don't think they even send the results home :pac:

We do an Christmas and Summer interview to talk about how our year has been so far and discuss what we've been doing hahaha no exams at alllll :D

We are back Thursday week :) I'm kind of nervous for the results but at the same time I will be glad to get them and finally have the Junior cert over with :)
    I can't wait for work experience but we do a lot of sports activities in TY and I am not sporty in the slightest...:(
    We are just put into random TY groups and we are not allowed move from one group to another. I don't mind that because there was a load of drama with my friends last year and I will be glad to get away from some of them!

Exact same with me! We do Zumba and all that stuff which I'm reallllly not looking forward to :( And yeah once were in a tutor group we cant change either :( there's aload of girls who were total bi**hes to me last year so I'm dreading it if I'm in a group with them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Not very academic really. Maths, English and Irish are maintained, but as for every other subject, no.

The TY's in our school go skiing to Italy for a week each year, but it costs about €900 and I don't know if I can rationalise spending that amount of spondulicks:confused:

And there's no summer tests either, our junior cert decides what level we take at LC.

From what I've heard from TY's gone by in our school, the first 2 weeks are torturous, ridiculous amount of sitting around. But that could be down to most people having an idea in their head like: "I'm in TY, why amn't I being entertained?"

Not very academic really. Maths, English and Irish are maintained, but as for every other subject, no.

The TY's in our school go skiing to Italy for a week each year, but it costs about €900 and I don't know if I can rationalise spending that amount of spondulicks:confused:

And there's no summer tests either, our junior cert decides what level we take at LC.

From what I've heard from TY's gone by in our school, the first 2 weeks are torturous, ridiculous amount of sitting around. But that could be down to most people having an idea in their head like: "I'm in TY, why amn't I being entertained?"

Yeah my brother said when he did TY it was extremely boring the first 3 weeks but apparently they keep it boring so some people with drop out of the year! Like 10 people dropped out when he did it saying "they thought it would be better"

Yeah my brother said when he did TY it was extremely boring the first 3 weeks but apparently they keep it boring so some people with drop out of the year! Like 10 people dropped out when he did it saying "they thought it would be better"

How big are everyone's TY years on here?

From our original group of 108 3rd Years, about 70 are doing TY and ~35 going on to fifth year (taking into account the odd drop out/moving schools)

From our original group of 108 3rd Years, about 70 are doing TY and ~35 going on to fifth year (taking into account the odd drop out/moving schools)

143 people doing it in my school , 40 people going straight into 5th year

120 TYs afaik

Also anyone got any contacts for a barrister starting to kinda panic that I've nothing organised and no one i email is getting back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Xgracie wrote: »
    120 TYs afaik

Also anyone got any contacts for a barrister starting to kinda panic that I've nothing organised and no one i email is getting back to me
    We haven't even gotten our work experience dates yet :( I have stuff lined up though so hopefully they should work out :)

First day finished (training for mentoring 1st years). Was actually good craic and the school got us pizza hut so it wasn't too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

First day finished (training for mentoring 1st years). Was actually good craic and the school got us pizza hut so it wasn't too bad :)

God your back so early! I have to go in on Monday to mentor a group of first years and then we aren't back to school until the 1st of September! I'm actually looking forward to going back :D

What does everyone else pay for transition year in your school??

We pay €250 at the beginning of the year which includes locker rental and the school journal but we still have to pay separately for all the trips we will go on :rolleyes:

We pay €250 at the beginning of the year which includes locker rental and the school journal but we still have to pay separately for all the trips we will go on :rolleyes:

I think we paid €550 which covers everything for the year.

• Advertisement

We pay €20?!?!?! That's for locker rental, journal and obviously photocopying etc! Why is yours so expensive?!

We pay €20?!?!?! That's for locker rental, journal and obviously photocopying etc! Why is yours so expensive?!

Actually must include we paid 200 back in April for Ty so never mind hahaha

Actually must include we paid 200 back in April for Ty so never mind hahaha

Do you know what your fee includes? I presume ours includes weekly modules too but its still a lot of money :confused:

We paid €150 for books and locker fee, same as every other year group, some of our trips are subsidised by the School and some are left to ourselves to cough upgroup

I think we paid €550 which covers everything for the year.

Thats probably a fair amount if it includes all your trips. A friend one year said they nearly paid a thousand euro with trips and all! And this year we are going to London :eek:

Do you know what your fee includes? I presume ours includes weekly modules too but its still a lot of money :confused:

Ours includes all our modules like zumba and martial arts, drama classes, etc, all that sort of stuff! Our two big trips this year (Carlingford(150euros) and Alton Towers(300euros)) we have to pay for separately :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

We pay a couple of hundred I think its about 500 and we pay it when we accept our place in TY and that covers everything except for Gaisce and for the trip abroad both of which are optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

My old school went skiing last year in Italy too! But they got really good deal for €609. That's one of the reasons I don't want to move because the new school hasn't gone abroad for ty

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DoktorFrog

Am I the only person here that is starting back tomorrow with a full day? :(

• Advertisement

DoktorFrog wrote: »
    Am I the only person here that is starting back tomorrow with a full day? :(

I'm in tomorrow till 11 to get my timetable and other stuff, First full day on Tuesday and I'm actually really excited :D

Advertisement