Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this work as a low end gaming machine?

Options
  • 08-10-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just noticed I could buy this server for around 100 pounds after a rebate:

HP ProLiant ML10 v2 Tower Server

I have a spare Nvidia 750Ti lying around. If I buy a soundcard as well, would people think that will work as a gaming machine (HD resolution, nothing more)?

Thanks
    Wcool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It wouldn't be a bad machine, itd struggle with new games as its only dual core

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Wcool

I guess I could replace the processor with something more powerful if need be, it's socket 1150

What was the number for that 'magical' anniversary pentium that was released about 18 months ago? Maybe that would fit here.

G3258, but in reality if you're going to upgrade you're as well hit an i3 4160

Thanks, I think I will pull the trigger, if it doesn't work for games I am sure I will find some other use anyway, the price is just too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll be fine for most games. Almost useless for games like Battlefield 4 online, GTA V, Battlefront online, etc. Perfectly good for single player games like Crysis 3, Battlefield campaign, Counter Strike GO, DOTA, Wolfenstein, etc. Almost anything single player would be fine. But not everything.

But it'll take any socket 1150 processor so it's not really any sort of issue.

For the money you're talking it's excellent value.

• Advertisement

I pulled the trigger. Will report back how well it works once I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wcool wrote: »
    I pulled the trigger. Will report back how well it works once I get it

I hope it works out well.

I got a somewhat similar machine ML310e a couple of years ago (again with cash back) and had problems controlling the fan speeds.

It seems that any card inserted that was not 'recognised' by HP caused the fan speeds to ramp up regardless of temps.

An amazingly well built machine but that problem with the fans took the 'gloss' off of it.

Interesting, I searched a bit and it seems more people had it with the ML310e.
    I hope I won't run into that problem!

I also need sound. I checked for PCI-E sound cards, plenty available but does anyone know a model working under Linux? Documentation is difficult to get. Thinking of buying a cheap China made no-brand card that is a bit older and hope for the best.

There will be 3.5mm jacks the motherboard surely?

Dunno about anything more professional than that

From the specs it doesn't look like, and only PCI-E avaliable, not PCI. That makes sense of course as they sell it as a server.

Specs ML10 v2 Server

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Do you intend on connecting to a TV, you can carry sound to the TV through HDMI on the graphics card you are getting.

Otherwise you may be better off looking up a USB sound device. I know creative used to make some. Something of the sort had been referenced either here, or the micro server bargain alerts thread recently as well.

Most definitely not a TV, second game computer to play Serious Sam in coop with my wife :)

I have no experience with USB, would the OS/gaming software recognise it as a sound device and use it?

Thanks, I will have look at the thread (I am actually an owner of a N36L microserver!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There are really cheap USB 'sound card' dongles available which should be Linux compatible.

One might do as an interim measure while investigating other options ....

I have seen a couple of references to asus xonar ........ d2x and dg or dgx ...... working well in Linux.

Creative PCI-E X-Fi range were problematic .... possibly still are.

Well, I got the server, here are my first impressions:

Prepare for a bit more in the shipping, Parcel motel couldn't fit it in a locker so I had to pay oversize and collect from a depot which luckily wasn't that far.

The server is build as a tank, very solid all around. I don't have a spare copy of Windows around so installed Linux Mint KDE. No problems whatsoever.
    The box is very snappy and could easily be used as a desktop.
    Because it is a server it does a lot of checking on boot so this is a minor gripe: it takes about 1 min, even after disabling Netboot, ILO, RAID etc.

I had a bit of trouble with the 750Ti as it needs a 6 pin molex connection for the power and the cabling only has 4 SATA + power and 2 4-pin molex + SATA (for DVD drives). Luckily I had a converter from 2 4-pin molex to 1 6 pin, and all works. But if you need any other card that requires more than a 6 pin connection, you will need to swap the PSU.

The server itself is quite deep and has plenty of room (1 PCI-E 16x, 2 4x, 1 2x, 4 3.5" drives 2 5" drives and clever cooling management by way of a plastic lid that seperates CPU area from PCI-E area.

I have no sound card yet but ordered a PCI-E and USB card from China. However, I installed Steam and downloaded Borderlands 2 + Serious Sam 3 BFE. No problems at all on High settings + 2x anti-aliasing.

All-in-all I am quite happy sofar!

Advertisement