Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HATE IE !!!!!! <input type="image"

Options
  • 14-07-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Just tore my site apart trying to find this error,
    Form/php would not register, since i had jquery etc elements, i took everything out one by one, turns out its due to the input button being set as an image?

quite weird.
    <input type="image"> when i change it to type submit it works,
    any alternative on changing this image so ?

and any news on when IE's gonna die?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

leave the type as submit, and just style it is probably the best option, use a class if you've more than one submit

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Mmmm why is it when people make HTML/CSS mistakes they always seem to blame IE when things don't work out as expected? And why is it that the other browsers are always put up there as amazing when 85% of the web population use Internet Explorer as their browser? Do the web audience really care that the reason their site isn't displaying properly is because IE isn't as standards compliant as the others? Nope. Do most developers know that IE isn't standards compliant? Yep. Is there a reason that so many developers spend so much time b*tching about this? :) Why do so many developers think slagging off IE is a requirement of the job? :D

If you really want the submit to be a clickable image you have several options. Use CSS to style the tag to appear as an image. Put an anchor tag (with a href of javascript:my_submit_function() where my_submit_function is a function you have written to fire the submit method of your form) around an image tag or use a button tag (again styled to use the image you're planning to use) with an onclick event that fires the submit method of your form.

-RD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

IE, I don't see dying anytime in the next five years. My XP machine asked to me to install IE8 the other day though, which is a lot better than IE6. If enough people do that, we could closer to the day of not having to use voodoo to make .png's appear properly, as well as all the css nightmares.
    Mmmm why is it when people make HTML/CSS mistakes they always seem to blame IE when things don't work out as expected? And why is it that the other browsers are always put up there as amazing when 85% of the web population use Internet Explorer as their browser?
    Standards compliant browsers aren't amazing, they simply meet the standard for what a browser should do (the clue is in the name). IE is a sub-standard browser, by definition. And just because it's common, doesn't mean it's good. People who have a clue about the internet don't rely on IE if they can help it. You do realise it comes pre-installed with Windows, and that the 85% you speak of haven't gone out and made an informed decision about which browser suits their needs?

Actually on second thoughts, Firefox is amazing.

Most good developers can match their designs in IE, FF and Safari to the very pixel, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to criticise IE.
    The biggest problem with IE, for me, is IE6 and the fact that people are still using it. This auto-update suggest I saw was good, but I only saw it once, and people are too ignorant to update their software nine times out of ten.

I think I have a very good reason for bitching about IE. If I make a website logically, with perfect code (css and html), it will display identically in all standards compliant browsers. Once I've done, I very often have to go back and hack the **** out of it to make it work the same in IE.

It's the same old Microsoft bull****, relying on obscure and half-arsed programs, and getting away with it because, with the dominant market share, we have to dance to their tune not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

It's not just people not bothering to update though. A lot of people can't where they work in an environment where the IT team won't or don't want to change a thing. I do think however, it's a waste of money and resources trying to get a design pixel perfect for IE6. As long as it provides the functionality, that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

why is there css hacks for IE and png fixes, why isnt it the other way around?
    google chrome/safari render identically to firefox, didnt mess up with the flash/active x case either.

Its just frustrating changing code for IE. Firefox seems to be more lenient on pedantic things.

pixel craft is right, people in vodafone all seem to have IE 6 and Flash 8

• Advertisement
Advertisement