Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 'fuel' does the train use in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-07-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I lived both in Holland and Sweden, also drove by train in Belgium and all using electric wires, I do see a few of them at Dublin Conolly but not at Heuston, the trains I have seen are all not using wires but I've never seen them 'refuelling' so I wonder, where do they drive on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Asmooh wrote: »
    I lived both in Holland and Sweden, also drove by train in Belgium and all using electric wires, I do see a few of them at Dublin Conolly but not at Heuston, the trains I have seen are all not using wires but I've never seen them 'refuelling' so I wonder, where do they drive on?

Electric wires are for the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transport) it doesn't run through Houston so no need for them there, I believe the locomotives are run on diesel (I could be wrong though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

The dart to maynooth don't use them.. I've never seen one that uses them 

If it's diesel it's weird that they still use diesel trains in 2015..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

The Paul Murphy Train uses hot air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The dart to maynooth don't use them.. I've never seen one that uses them :)

The DART doesn't go to Maynooth, The Dart only runs from Greystones to Howth and Malahide outside of this are all services are run exclusively on diesel

Irish rail gives some fleet details here http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/fleet

The DART doesn't go to Maynooth, The Dart only runs from Greystones to Howth and Malahide outside of this are all services are run exclusively on diesel

Irish rail gives some fleet details here http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/fleet

Ahh.. still weird diesel in 2015.

Anyway here it says maynooth : http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart

Nevermind, they are 'Commuter'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Most Irish trains use diesel. Only the Luas trams (the Red Line from the Point, via Connolly, to Tallaght and Saggart, and the Green Line from Bride's Glen to St. Stephens Green) and the DART heavy rail (from Greystones, Co. Wicklow to Malahide and Howth, via Connolly, Tara St and Pearse) run off electricity.

While electric trains are nicer, no smoke and a lot less noise, they're not worthwhile when run on infrequent services, like most of our Intercity lines, and they don't save any pollution because Ireland is dependent on natural gas for electric power. that gets worse the more renewables you add because renewables are literally as reliable as the weather and have to be backed up by something very flexible, and only natural gas and hydroelectricity fit that bill.

If we were going to electrify everything, it would be necessary to have a strategy for nuclear electricity, but good luck getting that past the environmental left.

SeanW wrote:
    If we were going to electrify everything, it would be necessary to have a strategy for nuclear electricity, but good luck getting that past the environmental left.

This explains a lot why they are using diesel :)

I think I gave the wrong impression above, they could electrify the railways and build more gas plants, but that wouldn't make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is it only lefties that are environmentalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's cheaper to use diesel than electrify the network and buy all new rolling stock to use it and build more power stations. Oil is at it cheapest in years and is due to hit an all time low price per barrel next year as Iran start to flood the market with sanctions lifted.

Yet fare prices will go up next year and IE will blame increasing fuel costs as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yet fare prices will go up next year and IE will blame increasing fuel costs as usual.

They will go up to restore staff pay from next September.

Often wonder if they will try not restore the pay, can't see staff letting it go even if they are paying reduced taxes!

Bet they will make a profit this year just about and be back in the red from next year.

Fuel is loaded at depots/main stations (a full tank would cover a days work for most units) and they load at platforms in Heuston but it's generally before passengers board but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

SeanW wrote: »
    Most Irish trains use diesel. Only the Luas trams (the Red Line from the Point, via Connolly, to Tallaght and Saggart, and the Green Line from Bride's Glen to St. Stephens Green) and the DART heavy rail (from Greystones, Co. Wicklow to Malahide and Howth, via Connolly, Tara St and Pearse) run off electricity.

While electric trains are nicer, no smoke and a lot less noise, they're not worthwhile when run on infrequent services, like most of our Intercity lines, and they don't save any pollution because Ireland is dependent on natural gas for electric power. that gets worse the more renewables you add because renewables are literally as reliable as the weather and have to be backed up by something very flexible, and only natural gas and hydroelectricity fit that bill.

What do you think the nuclear power stations are backed up by ? ( and renewables are probably more predictable than unreliable nuclear )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The dart to maynooth don't use them.. I've never seen one that uses them 

If it's diesel it's weird that they still use diesel trains in 2015..
    the arrow to maynooth is diesel as well. its not one bit weird that diesel is still being used in 2015. plenty of countries have diesel operation of varying amounts.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Strictly speaking, the trains are electric powered. The diesel engine is more of a generator. The motor that powers the wheels is an electric motor.

Markcheese wrote: »
    What do you think the nuclear power stations are backed up by ? ( and renewables are probably more predictable than unreliable nuclear )
    In france, nuclear power stations are backed up by hydroelectricity and other nuclear power stations. Total >90% non-fossil energy supply. Especially given the frequency/speed of many of their trains, makes it a very good idea to electrify large amounts of railway network in France.

"Renewables" don't make me laugh. Non-hydro/biofuel renewables are literally as reliable as the weather, and they cause serious grid-reliability isssues when the weather and power demands seriously diverge. They (wind mills in particular) do nothing but guzzle subsidies and produce nothing but visual pollution and bird and bat kills. And they will never safely replace a single thermal or nuclear power station because there will always be a need to provide backup for when the wind dies down. Or for when the wind whips up but nobody is using much electricity ...

Combine this with the fact that electric trains only make sense when the trains are frequent or very fast (like the French TGV, German ICE or American ACELA) and there's not much point in electrifying any Irish railways except possibly Connolly-Maynooth, Kildare to Heuston and onwards via Dart Ungerground, some more Luas/Metro and MAYBE the Cork suburban at a stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

pablo128 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, the trains are electric powered. The diesel engine is more of a generator. The motor that powers the wheels is an electric motor.

Actually the majority of Irish trains are now diesel-hydraulic. The 22000s aren't electrically driven.

In general though low population density and a history of very low expenditure on infrastructure over the decades meant the cheapest possible solution was used : diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Basically, there's a big capital cost in electrifying a railway line. You need to be running a lot of trains on the line before the investment makes financial sense. Which is why, generally, heavily used urban and commuter lines tend to be electrified, but long-distance lines not necessarily so. Worldwide, only about 25% of railway lines (by length) are electrified, but they carry about 50% of worldwide traffic. That basically points to the link between traffic density and electrification.

The OP mentions Sweden where, apparently, he has observed only electric trains. In fact only about 60% of the Swedish rail network is electrified, but that carries much more than 60% of the traffic, and it is evidently the only part on which the OP has travelled. I don't have corresponding figures for the Netherlands and Belgium, but since both have very high population density I expect their lines are more than 60% electrified. In Britain, by contrast, less than 35% of the lines are electrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

These maps give a good indication of the extent of electrification in any given country. I think Switzerland has the highest % electrification in the world.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/68

http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php

Analysis of interoperability

http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/voltage.php

You don't put dreamers in charge of your money or your infrastructure. The problem with Hyperloop is that it can carry very few people per hour, whereas a train can carry a thousand people and you can have one every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Plenty of intercity routes all over Europe using diesel trainsets, including the DSB IC3 "rubberhead" I traveled on from starting at Hamburg, we joined at Oldenburg / Puttgarden via train ferry to Copenhagen yesterday.

It's obviously not worth electrifying the single track line in that region of Germany or Denmark.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I wonder do trains use Agricultural Diesel or ordinary Road Diesel?

Stinicker wrote: »
    I wonder do trains use Agricultural Diesel or ordinary Road Diesel?

Agri diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

SeanW wrote: »

Combine this with the fact that electric trains only make sense when the trains are frequent or very fast (like the French TGV, German ICE or American ACELA) and there's not much point in electrifying any Irish railways except possibly Connolly-Maynooth, Kildare to Heuston and onwards via Dart Ungerground, some more Luas/Metro and MAYBE the Cork suburban at a stretch.

I disagree, electric trains are more efficient than Diesel need less maintenance and are faster, the overall running costs are lower, we should have started converting to electric years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Fuel is loaded at depots/main stations (a full tank would cover a days work for most units) and they load at platforms in Heuston but it's generally before passengers board but not always.

Sorry for all the questions but:

Is there a fuel gauge?
    What size are the tanks?
    Is there a published mpg?
    Is the refueling method similar to a road vehicle?

Is there a fuel gauge?
    Yes on the side of the tanks

What size are the tanks?
    Dont know about railcar but 201 and 071 are 4500 and 3600L respectively

No idea, I think these are quoted in per ton per mile (or maybe that's just freight)

Is the refuelling method similar to a road vehicle?
    Similar but there is a locking mechanism on the nozzle to prevent detachment during filling and the hose is a lot bigger :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Thanks for the answers flying snail.

So a driver can't tell from inside the cab if he is running low? It must be part of the checks they undertake before setting off.

4,500l of fuel, and from what I have read here, that does one day's travel. Presume two return trips to Cork, 800km. 4,500 for 800km is about 5.6l / km so 560l / 100km which I think is half a mile to the gallon. Which seems quite good to me for a train.

None of this is for any particular reason, just my twisted curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The later batch of 201 locos have electronic fuel gauges in the cabs so the driver can see it in real time.

When the 201s were in HEP mode on the Enterprise diagrams they could only manage 1.5 return trips before needing to refuel. Very high consumption but that all in the past now as HEP mode is not removed and the EGVs fill that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sorry for all the questions but:

Is there a fuel gauge?
    What size are the tanks?
    Is the refueling method similar to a road vehicle?

bit like this - you can see the level gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Is there a fuel gauge?
    Yes on the side of the tanks

What size are the tanks?
    Dont know about railcar but 201 and 071 are 4500 and 3600L respectively

No idea, I think these are quoted in per ton per mile (or maybe that's just freight)

Is the refuelling method similar to a road vehicle?
    Similar but there is a locking mechanism on the nozzle to prevent detachment during filling and the hose is a lot bigger :P

All classes of railcar hold 1000ltrs per car except 22000 which hold 1200lts, fuel gauges in cabs of 29 and 22 and low fuel warnings (when 200ltrs or less) in all railcar and loco cabs including NIR 80s and 450s. On average the railcars do about 1 mile per litre with a full load of passengers but obviously that will vary from season to season and depending on if all engines are running and if a commuter, InterCity, ECS etc.

201 cab fuel gauges were all disconnected years ago due to inaccuracies.

Aswell as the locking mechanism all fuel tanks also have a screw on cap for secondary fueling from road tankers etc.

There is no MPG published, even modern traction does not do this like a car!

In the UK Colas have recently begun trialling their locos on their tank trains to work out fuel consumption, 56s, 60s, 66s and 70s have all been deployed to equal loads with an equal amount of fuel which is the measured at the end of the journey to work out the consumption, modern enough locos and it still has to be worked out manually!

GM228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ahh.. still weird diesel in 2015.

Anyway here it says maynooth : http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart

Nevermind, they are 'Commuter'

Diesel trains are not that weird; plenty of diesel stock in the UK, both mutiple units and locos. In fact, the forthcoming InterCity Express in the UK has been designed to accommodate diesel only as well as electric running. That being said, many view that particular piece of kit as a camel.

Advertisement