Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

matrim wrote: »
    Well Bent did have to go off during the week and was obviously hurt after the collision with the Bradford keeper.

Regarding Given, I still think Guzan deserves his place.

We all know its a handy dandy excuse.

As for Guzan, despite is extensive shot stopping abilities. I really think hes great. And despite the quality in the back line. It appears he may have trouble marshalling them. Considering our form in Decemeber i think Given should be given a run in the premiership. To see if we can get more response from the back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Guys, if we're going to get stressed out by players linked to QPR this window, by February we will have wasted away!

It's not just because QPR are in for him - he's exactly what we need. I know you could say he's in the Stoke reserve team for a reason but he can't have regressed that much in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm genuinely dreading the rest of this season. I have faith in Lambert but sometimes things just don't go your way. I think Villa will stay up but it's certainly not going to be without its heart in mouth moments. Next game is a big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The last kind of team you need going into a relegation battle is a particularly young one, this worries me more than anything else. Need Vlaar back soon as possible, Lambert also needs to stop biting his tongue on his signings and drop them if theyre playing poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    It's not just because QPR are in for him - he's exactly what we need. I know you could say he's in the Stoke reserve team for a reason but he can't have regressed that much in 2 years.

I was a big fan of his but lets be honest the guy hasn't been heard of in 2 years. There has to be a reason for that, and just forget the Glen Whelan is ahead of him at Stoke, that has to say something about the guy.

Is he really the type of guy we need coming into the club now to save us?

We need a true leader in there, one who is coming in with confidence and who will help out the youngsters who are in the side currently, not one who hasn't played much ball in a years.

It would be too much of a gamble IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Palacios has been finished for quite a while now lads. Understandably hasn't been the same mentally since his brother was murdered. I don't want to sound crass but that's not the type of player you want in a relegation battle. If he was up to it he's the perfect type of player for that Stoke midfield and would be playing every week.

Corholio wrote: »
    The last kind of team you need going into a relegation battle is a particularly young one, this worries me more than anything else. Need Vlaar back soon as possible, Lambert also needs to stop biting his tongue on his signings and drop them if theyre playing poor.

Villa talk is saying Vlaar is back for tomorrow.

Paully D wrote: »
    Palacios has been finished for quite a while now lads. Understandably hasn't been the same mentally since his brother was murdered. I don't want to sound crass but that's not the type of player you want in a relegation battle. If he was up to it he's the perfect type of player for that Stoke midfield and would be playing every week.

Ya it looks that way alright, he must have really lost it if he's not even getting a look in at Stoke. What makes it worse is even O'Neill is signing players outside of England now :pac:

The 4th harbinger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ya it looks that way alright, he must have really lost it if he's not even getting a look in at Stoke. What makes it worse is even O'Neill is signing players outside of England now :pac:

The 4th harbinger?

Yeah I was as surprised as much as anyone mate but I won't complain.

This N'Diaye looks like he could be a player. Mangane on the way too. Two big powerhouses that will hopefully add exactly what we need to the team. Nice to see O'Neill identify our needs, go abroad for cheaper players and get them in quickly.

Maybe he's finally (sort of) learning from his mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

The 4th harbinger?

Yeah i spotted MON doing that lately. :mad:

Who knows what could have happened with Villa if he could have koped on like this years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

listermint wrote: »
    Villa talk is saying Vlaar is back for tomorrow.

Think he was back in training yesterday / this week so may make the bench but I'd be surprised if he started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

So even after selling off most of our best players and getting rid of a large chunk of the deadwood Lerner still insists on penny pinching. Surely staying in the Premier League is the number one priority this season? Money from the TV rights alone would be worth the gamble as each club is guaranteed a minimum of £45m each from the £3billion deal with Sky & BT (Championship teams get £1m although relegated teams get a parachute payment of £10m per season for four seasons).
    "I understand the finances of it. The club cannot go into major debt. It's got to watch itself".

"It's something I'll meet head-on. I don't know how much, off the top of my head, the chairman has put into the club. I'm pretty sure it's not light".

"I've spoken to him. There are one or two lads there that we will try to get. A lot is dictated by finance. We need a bit of strength in the middle of the pitch".

"Prices in January can be so inflated that you can pay through the nose for someone, and it's a guy you maybe don't want at the club".

"We have to build this club and not let it go back to what has happened before."

Cue Dale Stephens from Charlton for £2m and on £15k per week and a couple of loan signings. We'll have an average Championship side next season :rolleyes:

Raekwon wrote: »
    So even after selling off most of our best players and getting rid of a large chunk of the deadwood Lerner still insists on penny pinching. Surely staying in the Premier League is the number one priority this season? Money from the TV rights alone would be worth the gamble as each club is guaranteed a minimum of £45m each from the £3billion deal with Sky & BT (Championship teams get £1m although relegated teams get a parachute payment of £10m per season for four seasons).

Cue Dale Stephens from Charlton for £2m and on £15k per week and a couple of loan signings. We'll have an average Championship side next season :rolleyes:

Glad he realises the centre midfield problem. At the same time it's pretty damning of him considering he bought 2 central midfielders in the summer. I think Lerner is taking a big risk too if he doesn't give the required funds, relegation will cost a lot more than a few signings in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

If they could at least sign Dale Stephens coupled with loans (with option to buy) for Coutinho, Abdoulaye Ba and Luis Cavanda then they should have enough quality to survive.
    I don't subscribe to the idea that bringing in experienced players is whats needed, lack of quality is the biggest problem. The likes of Keith Andrews or Wilson Palacios won't keep Villa up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Lads, I work in Gatwick and at lunchtime today in arrivals a driver was waiting for an S. Given which I thought was interesting. Has there been any rumours of Shay looking for a new club?

If they could at least sign Dale Stephens coupled with loans (with option to buy) for Coutinho, Abdoulaye Ba and Luis Cavanda then they should have enough quality to survive.
    I don't subscribe to the idea that bringing in experienced players is whats needed, lack of quality is the biggest problem. The likes of Keith Andrews or Wilson Palacios won't keep Villa up.

A lot of the time they go hand in hand though. Young players MIGHT be good in the future, and if they happen to be good now then they're at a premium price. No one's really saying just buy someone that's 30 years of age. But someone to get the team going from midfield is essential.

Not much to cheer about Villa wise lately, but saw this on Newsnow earlier and it raised a Bannan sized chuckle

2en2hip.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Must win game today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

CSF wrote: »
    Must win game today

It's a six pointer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

CucaFace wrote: »
    I was a big fan of his but lets be honest the guy hasn't been heard of in 2 years. There has to be a reason for that, and just forget the Glen Whelan is ahead of him at Stoke, that has to say something about the guy.

Is he really the type of guy we need coming into the club now to save us?

We need a true leader in there, one who is coming in with confidence and who will help out the youngsters who are in the side currently, not one who hasn't played much ball in a years.

It would be too much of a gamble IMO.

Here's the thing. If he is such a crock then why is Arry in for him?
    I know part of the reason that he ain't in the stoke 11 is due to injury and then loosing his place to N'Zonzi.

I think he could be a decent player. Who knows, being the experienced head to a bunch of young lads might be just what he needs.

I really feel let down by RL. If this is a tactic to try and not be squeezed during January then fair enough but after 2 seasons of moving on the dead wood I had finally thought we were back to a competitive frame of mind. Maybe he is just selling up on sports teams but if so at least ensure they are the top tier variety. It really does feel like we need a marquee signing but this year there is no Young and Downing to be sold at the end of the season :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Doodee wrote: »
    Here's the thing. If he is such a crock then why is Arry in for him?
    (

Because it's Arry! If you're under the age of 50 with at least one functioning leg he'll be in for you. I think I was linked with a move to QPR during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

VILLA: Guzan, Clark, Stevens, Baker, Lowton, Holman, Weimann, Westwood, Delph, N’Zogbia, Benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

see Vlaar is on the bench today ,he will be a huge addition once he is fit to start.With that team being so young is there a case for Given to be called back into the squad ,he might be better at marshalling the defence?

yabadabado wrote: »
    see Vlaar is on the bench today ,he will be a huge addition once he is fit to start.With that team being so young is there a case for Given to be called back into the squad ,he might be better at marshalling the defence?

Given is not getting back in, not in the squad today.
    Injured or more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Lambert could add one or two experienced players to that squad in the coming weeks,it could make all the difference.Plenty of talent in the squad but they are just way too inexperienced.What's the average age of the starting 11 ,23/24?

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    If Lambert could add one or two experienced players to that squad in the coming weeks,it could make all the difference.Plenty of talent in the squad but they are just way too inexperienced.What's the average age of the starting 11 ,23/24?

Just under 23

Cmon Villa, a team somehow worse than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

JPA wrote: »
    Given is not getting back in, not in the squad today.
    Injured or more?
    Hopefully he's leaving, but probably just injured.

Given has a hamstring problem, apparently.

Calamitous

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Calamitous

Mental defending, Delph is a joke, big lunge but actually no contact.

Mental defending, Delph is a joke, big lunge but actually no contact.

He even looked up before thumping it into his own player.
    feckin ****e.

1-0 Lambert penalty. The peno was a complete dive but it was set up by unbelievably abject defending, several chances to clear the danger.

Blatant dive but we had about 4 players around the ball and everyone was waiting for someone else to clear it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Sunday league stuff there. There was zero contact though.

He even looked up before thumping it into his own player.
    feckin ****e.

He had loads of ****ing time, he panics whenever he gets the ball, he lost the ball at the other end of the pitch earlier because of dwelling on the ball.

What was even worse was when the corner was cleared it dropped into the middle with 2 villa players closest to it. The both left it for the other one and a Southampton player gets it.

It's back to the problem of no leaders in the middle. Nobody seems to want to step forward and take the game to Southampton

matrim wrote: »
    What was even worse was when the corner was cleared it dropped into the middle with 2 villa players closest to it. The both left it for the other one and a Southampton player gets it.

It's back to the problem of no leaders in the middle. Nobody seems to want to step forward and take the game to Southampton

No leaders but zero confidence either, they're all afraid of the ball.
    A soft midfield means they're constantly under pressure as well.

New players drastically needed to give the squad a boost and actually get some players who aren't terrified.

What's the line up today? 4 3 3?
    Take Delph off and there's a good chance that the midfield will tighten up. He doesn't seem to communicate with anyone else out there. He's given it away so many times.

I don't understand the 4-3-3 when we are so lackluster in the middle. Should we not be packing midfield and try and gain some semblance of control on the game?

• Advertisement

To be fair to Delph he's probably been our best midfielder today and has broken up a few attacks. I'd blame baker for the goal more than Delph. Delph was a bit unlucky that it hit Clark and I'd say he hesitated because he wasn't sure if he could clear it. Baker just left it, he should have taken charge and put his foot through it

Bannan on for Holman at HT.

Bannan on for Holman. Maybe moving to a 433 instead of 4231

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

sorry but this insipid display of football from villa is killing me.
    hate to say it but lambert has no clue,the team is totally bereft of ideas
    we are heading down the relegation route for real this time,and lerner doesnt seem to care.

Really liking the look of Stephens. Very hungry player.

Really liking the look of Stephens. Very hungry player.

He seems to have a good cross and shot but his defending is a bit suspect at times

Gabby on, Zog off.
    I would have kept him on, took off Weimann who is not too good out wide.

Another game where we wont be seeing Ireland.

shoutman wrote: »
    Another game where we wont be seeing Ireland.

Bowery on, insanity.

Wigan equalized, Villa in the relegation zone.

• Advertisement

Bowery on, insanity.

Wigan equalized, Villa in the relegation zone.

Playing like this, that'll be a common theme over the next few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement