Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a new Sony Bravia recently...

Options
  • 01-05-2016 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

and I am having difficulty with the App Store - I normally use IOS so not too familiar with Android.

I presume I should be able to download Skype, Facebook, RTE Player onto my TV or am I wrong?

I am able to get onto the Google store play but I can't seem to find any of the regular apps I would use on a day to day basis on my iPhone.

Am I missing something? I was looking forward to having smart TV and feel like tis a waste of money now! Or maybe I a missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The Sony Android TV app store is a sub-set of apps that are certified for the TV so its a bit of a pain but most stuff is there, You can also Sideload APK files from a USB and use alternative app download sites.

Some bravias you cant download apps to the TV. We'd need the model number to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

The Sony Android TV app store is a sub-set of apps that are certified for the TV so its a bit of a pain but most stuff is there, You can also Sideload APK files from a USB and use alternative app download sites.

Some bravias you cant download apps to the TV. We'd need the model number to advise.

Oh right - I just presumed it would be similar to Samsung phone and therefore similar to IPHONE and I would be able to download pretty much any app - I knew there would be a few exceptions obviously but nothing major.

Will come back to you with the model number it is newish Bravia if that makes any difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to Video Displays

Model number is KDL - 43W809C.

I can't seem to find any apps I would normally use on a day to day basis - I see Netflix and YouTube and that's about it! I don't think it even has Google Photos!

Can anyone help me???!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

so yea, Only apps certified for the TV are visible in the app store.

Google "sideload apps on sony android tv" on how to load non certified apps.

• Advertisement

so yea, Only apps certified for the TV are visible in the app store.

Google "sideload apps on sony android tv" on how to load non certified apps.
    Add your reply here.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/66477

I think I found my answer here - quite disappointing really. I've got a great reception on it but that is about it really - don't think I would have bothered spending so much - I kind of thought I was buying a TV which essentially had the same access to apps as a phone and it might be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

I had a similar experience, bought a Sony kdl 40 in 2012 and within a few years most apps were outdated, and no updates for my model. I have bought a freesat box since (we use fta tv), 100e, Netflix, YouTube, etc, wouldn't buy a SMART tv again

decor58 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience, bought a Sony kdl 40 in 2012 and within a few years most apps were outdated, and no updates for my model. I have bought a freesat box since (we use fta tv), 100e, Netflix, YouTube, etc, wouldn't buy a SMART tv again

Yeah I have those apps but I thought I would have something closer to the full range so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Smart TVs are somewhat limited because apps like the ones you want are not yet available - however, the Android platform that Sony are using has the best and widest selection at the current time

RTE Player - not widely available on Smart TVs because RTE are using a sub-standard platform and the picture quality on big sets is poor
    Skype - was on Sony TVs until recently but Skype stopped developing the app for Smart TVs as not enough people were using it
    Facebook - not really used on TVs as it is a personal app and you wouldn't want people to be able to log in to your account on your TV

The apps that you are using on your phone are touch screen apps and haven't been developed for TVs (non-touchscreen) yet.

On the plus side, the TV that you have bought is a fantastic mid range set and is great value for money even if not all the apps you want are available. Any TV that isn't a Smart TV these days is generally poor for picture quality but the model you bought is one of my favourite sets from last year. So, if you had have bought a non-smart TV, the picture quality would almost certainly have been not as good and, had you have bought a different brand, your selection of available apps would have been even less as they don't even use Android.

What I love about the Sony Android TV is things like Chromecast is built in so it supports a lot of apps that you can't get on other brands - eg Google Photos that you want can be cast across as can RTE Player from a Chrome browser on a PC/Mac. It's also great for the Google Movies app so you can rent/buy the latest blockbusters - you can't do that on any other brand. The voice control is also great for accessing your content. Apps like Kodi etc are also fantastic.

Trust me, there are lots of great things on the TV when you get used to it. You would be even more disappointed if you had bought something else at the same price.

Dazzling D wrote: »
    Smart TVs are somewhat limited because apps like the ones you want are not yet available - however, the Android platform that Sony are using has the best and widest selection at the current time

RTE Player - not widely available on Smart TVs because RTE are using a sub-standard platform and the picture quality on big sets is poor
    Skype - was on Sony TVs until recently but Skype stopped developing the app for Smart TVs as not enough people were using it
    Facebook - not really used on TVs as it is a personal app and you wouldn't want people to be able to log in to your account on your TV

The apps that you are using on your phone are touch screen apps and haven't been developed for TVs (non-touchscreen) yet.

On the plus side, the TV that you have bought is a fantastic mid range set and is great value for money even if not all the apps you want are available. Any TV that isn't a Smart TV these days is generally poor for picture quality but the model you bought is one of my favourite sets from last year. So, if you had have bought a non-smart TV, the picture quality would almost certainly have been not as good and, had you have bought a different brand, your selection of available apps would have been even less as they don't even use Android.

What I love about the Sony Android TV is things like Chromecast is built in so it supports a lot of apps that you can't get on other brands - eg Google Photos that you want can be cast across as can RTE Player from a Chrome browser on a PC/Mac. It's also great for the Google Movies app so you can rent/buy the latest blockbusters - you can't do that on any other brand. The voice control is also great for accessing your content. Apps like Kodi etc are also fantastic.

Trust me, there are lots of great things on the TV when you get used to it. You would be even more disappointed if you had bought something else at the same price.
    Add your reply here.

Great stuff - so can you maybe tell me a few apps that might be handy to use? I can't see to find google photos - maybe I am just missing them? I see a photo sharing service but not quite google photos that is on my phone (yes I know I keep going back to the phone thing!)

Do you know anything about youview?! Is is worth the hassle? It says you can get BBC Iplayer but I presume I can't get that anyway been in Ireland.

I would have loved Skype, RTE Player and 4 OD I must say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Open Google Photos on your phone and Googlecast (Chromecast) them across to the TV - pretty much the same as having the app on the TV

Youview is a UK service

Advertisement