Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting the next couple of weeks

Options
  • 15-06-2011 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey guys I am new to the forums but I am visiting from the US and really want to get some surfing done while I am here. I surfed a lot when I was in high-school and started up again in the states. I am currently living in Galway City, and I don't have a board, wet-suit, or a car. I know there are rental boards available but from my experience in the states they tend to not be very good. Anyway I am fairly comfortable with waves up to head high or so but above that we just don't get where I live. Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Welcome to the forum.

There aren't any decent spots on the Galway coast (not well-known ones anyway) so its really a choice between Clare (beaches such as Lahinch, Fanore, Spanish Point and a few reefs around the place too) or Strandhill in Sligo.

Transport might be difficult, car would be the easiest option. There would be (slow) buses going from Galway to Sligo and there may be some to Lahinch too - one of the locals here might be able to tell you. If you are in NUIG it might be worth checking if they have a surf club, or at least some sort of organised bunch.

Try adverts.ie, buyandsell.ie or gumtree.ie if you want to pick up a second-hand board, otherwise there are plenty of shops in Lahinch and a few in Galway city too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hatandsocks

cornbb wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

There aren't any decent spots on the Galway coast (not well-known ones anyway) so its really a choice between Clare (beaches such as Lahinch, Fanore, Spanish Point and a few reefs around the place too) or Strandhill in Sligo.

Transport might be difficult, car would be the easiest option. There would be (slow) buses going from Galway to Sligo and there may be some to Lahinch too - one of the locals here might be able to tell you. If you are in NUIG it might be worth checking if they have a surf club, or at least some sort of organised bunch.

Try adverts.ie, buyandsell.ie or gumtree.ie if you want to pick up a second-hand board, otherwise there are plenty of shops in Lahinch and a few in Galway city too.

Ya I realized there is nothing around galway however I have been talking to some people from the school who work with my roommate and may have a connection with some people but I will check out those sites, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

there are hard board rentals in Lahinch in Clare and in garretstown in cork, but Clare is far more consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

hey welcome to the west!
    am living in galway city too, headin off surfing on fri if you are around, send me a pm, might be able to get a lend of a board etc for you
    take it easy

I was just in Lahinch and it looked pretty sweet even though it was a bit choppy. Definitely gonna conquer that as soon as I can

• Advertisement

blueskys wrote: »
    hey welcome to the west!
    am living in galway city too, headin off surfing on fri if you are around, send me a pm, might be able to get a lend of a board etc for you
    take it easy

Is anyone going tomorrow (saturday) from Galway? $ for petrol if you can give me a lift. My roommate went to Sligo today and I am very jealous

Advertisement