Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get Absinthe ?

Options
  • 22-02-2002 12:30am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

As per topic, where can I buy Absinthe (not sure on spelling) in this country (preferably in Dublin) ?

I heard that if it can be got here it would be weaker than the "real stuff" one would come across in eastern Europe.
    Anyone know anything about this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I understood that it was illegal in EU countries, and that what you can purchase here and in other EU countries is not real Absinthe (and doesn't contain the mild toxin/hallucinogenic which real Absinthe does?)..

Well. I buy it in Andorra anyway (when I'm there skiing, as it's authentic, very cheap( Andorra in not part of the EU))..

I heard somewhere you can also buy it mail order over the web...
    Worth a search!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    I heard somewhere you can also buy it mail order over the web...
    Worth a search!

I shall consult Google immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 veedub

its called streaga and u can get it in most off licences its the same stuff if u consume enough of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had some 55% down in a pub Cork.
    Tasted pretty much like Sambucha.
    ~€6 a shot i was told (who bought it forme? I owe em a pint or two :))
    Apparently there's a pub on teh other side of town that has ~70% stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by SyxPak

Pah! Rubbish!

The real stuff is 80%

I saw some of that in The Vineyard here in Galway last year. But it was about 40 quid.
    I still plan on getting some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Right... I was looking around yesterday, and they have a bottle of Hills Absinthe, which is 70%.

But on looking, I'd say it's really rather iffy, because it doesn't actualy say whether or not it had the Wormwood.

And in case you don't know anything about Absinthe, the wormwood is what makes it the real stuff in the first place. It's the essential ingredient that gives the hallucinations.

So, I wouldn't care if it was 95%, if it's not the real stuff, it's useless.

Oh, and I checked, it's perfectly legal.

The brand Sebor has the wormwood, and that's only 55%.

So make sure it's the real stuff. Mmmkay? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

there is a bottle in galway(mc cambridges) for €66.66(it's only 70% though)it's LEGAL to buy in england and romania i beLIEve..not to sure..check bizarre (magizine)and that nearly always tells ya where to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by SyxPak

Twas me, I think it was more than 55% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The stuff that you get here isn't as potent as the original stuff. I got a bottle of it in spain.
    80% sounds about right. It makes your head spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

I can get Asinth in the off-liecence up the road from my college. Proper stuff too 70% €65 good squishy. Thge off-liecence u seek is in Dundrum and is called Deveneys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

It's the mix between Wormwood and Nutmeg in the original brew that makes Absinth hallucinogenic. The stuff you find in shops at the moment removes one of the ingredients (usually nutmeg). So you still have the taste; which is to my mind very much like non diluted Pernod, but not the effect.
    The only time I was able to put my hand on the real stuff were when a friend bought a boxfull when he went to Tchecoslovakia, and another friend found the recipe and tried to brew it.
    I don't know if it was the real stuff, but hell... It's was between 70/80% and I wish I remembered the whole nights...

As far as I know the real stuff is illegal in the EU, you can get it in other countries though, and home made too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i had some in my nextdoorneighbours house last friday. his missus is from the czech repulblic.
    i swear to go, i had a small shot glass and i was seeing double for about 4 hours.
    and anyone that says its nice is lying.
    no wonder people put drugs in it, anything would make it taste better. by the way, anyone seen from hll with the whole opium absinth thing going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hehe I got my first bottle in deveney's in dundrum

a good home made calvados from any part of the country in france will bring you round :)

It's like poitin only it's made from apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 zipline

so what are the effects of real absinthe???????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My neurologist told me never to drink the stuff under any circumstances.

But I got a hold of a really good bottle from Prague.. it had bits of crap floating in it and everything.... It was 80%, but I found it rather agreeable and had drunk half the bottle before the people I was living with at the time managed to hide the thing on me... I really don't remember much after that... I woke up face down on the decking in the back garden...

It generally leaves me with huge gaps in my memory anytime I take it.

You can do this thing were you dip a spoon of sugar in the absinthe and light the spoon of sugar on fire than ignite the glass with it... that can be fun as it feels like you're doing heroin... ha....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I brought a bottle back from Prague over xmas - didnt realise it was illegal in EU countries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jack shictt

Its illlegal in most countries, pragues where ,y bro got his bottles of it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

by the way, anyone seen from hll with the whole opium absinth thing going on?

"From Hell", a class show, shows the way to kill the bitter taste, quoting from some web site and pasting it here:

"the proper way to drink absinthe is to first place a sugar cube in a special slotted spoon, then position the spoon over a glass. The absinthe is poured over the sugar cube and into the glass, and then the sugar cube is set on fire. Water is then poured over the sugar and into the absinthe. Once everything is mixed together, the beverage becomes milky in its appearance"

Urgh. Think I'll stick with the pint of plain.

As for opium - you can find your own instructions! Opium was HUGE in the 19th century: google "opium wars".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Guy I know had a bottle at halloween, 500ml bottle he paid €50 for i *think*, off licence on dawson st somewhere. Had absinth on the bottle and was 85%

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

zipline wrote:
    so what are the effects of real absinthe???????????????

Why, it makes the heart grow fonder! :D

I'm sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Don't confuse the real stuff, Absinthe (80% stuff) with the American knock-off, Absente (55% stuff). The difference is that Absente usually comes minus wormwood, the substance that when mixed with nutmeg causes you to hallucinate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

umm..

you don't need to mix it with nutmeg..

www.erowid.org has some info on absinthe/wormwood I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Mordeth wrote:
    umm..

you don't need to mix it with nutmeg..

www.erowid.org has some info on absinthe/wormwood I think.
    I never said you mixed it with nutmeg, that's done in the distillation process to give the absinthe it's psychadelic effects.

http://brewery.org/library/absfaq.html
    Calamus (acorus calamus) and nutmeg (myristica fragrans) were also sometimes used in making absinthe. Both plants have reputations for being psychedelics

Advertisement