Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liver de-tox

Options
  • 10-01-2005 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever gone on a liver de-tox diet? I've been told it's a good idea.. thinking about getting Flor-essence this week.. any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Cork_girl wrote:
    Has anyone ever gone on a liver de-tox diet?

Never heard of - what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I think those detox-y things are best left for a doctor to prescribe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This article claims it's all a bit of a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yikes didn't think it would b such a negative response!! I was in Here's Health recently and was just asking about vitamins etc. felt a bit run down.. suppose it's just winter but thought it'd be no harm to take something! The assistant asked me questions and came to the conclusion that I should go on a liver de-tox..

she recommended Floressence.. said it's really mild.. I dunno!! It sounds like it could be a good idea.. I mean cutting out crap food for a while alone would be good!!

anyone actually tried it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Sorry Cork_girl, didn't mean to come down on you like a ton of bricks. I am just a little suspicious of health-food store types who try to diagnose something, and happen to sell a remedy to cure it. You're right about cutting out bad food. Why not try that for a month ("this month's diet is next month's body") and see how you feel then? I don't think something as serious as a liver de-tox can be fixed with something trivial sold in a bottle on the recommendation of the person selling you the bottle ! Go on, call me hyper-paranoid ;)

• Advertisement

I know yeah that's why I didn't just go ok nice lady I'll take a bottle of that please :D
    I do eat pretty healthily you see so to be honest there really wouldn't be that much to cut out.. just maybe alcohol.. and the odd carton of chips after a nite out!
    It's just that maybe a system cleanse would be no harm! just after the Christmas and all.. I dunno..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't stress out on detoxes but when I feel the need I don't eat for a couple of days and when hungry I make myself fruit smoothies.

hmm yeah I know, water and lemon is another one.. next week me thinks.. start on a Monday.. always helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are you going to cut out caffeine, nicotene and THC too? Definately advisable.

Gordon wrote:
    Are you going to cut out caffeine, nicotene and THC too? Definately advisable.
    THC? Yep cutting out all caffeine.. gave up cigarettes in the new year.. so that's already sorted.. well as long as willpower keeps up ;) think if I have a diet of fresh fruit and veg with fish and chicken .. using as little processed food as possible then that should do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water youd be surprised but by just drinking at least the recommended daily amount of water will help you detox big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Gordon wrote:
    I don't stress out on detoxes but when I feel the need I don't eat for a couple of days and when hungry I make myself fruit smoothies.
    Hey me too!! In the morning I don't have much of an appetite so I've been having smoothies for my brekkie. I make them in the morning and bring it to work...
    My recipe is :
    2 small junior/kids pack bananas or 1 big one
    2 tablespoons of frozen summer fruit berries
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon 0% fat fromage frais - this makes it nice and creamy/smooth
    1 mug low fat milk
    1 scoop protien powder - if i was in the gym the evening before
    nummy num num!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nice recipe thanks!! :D

Advertisement