Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supersize Me

Options
  • 05-01-2005 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Rented this on dvd last night... excellent film/documentary.

For anyone who doesnt know what its about... this American guy eats nothing but Mc Donalds food for a full month - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Its basically an experiment - they take his weight, cholestoral and sh*t loads of other measurements before and all the way through the experiment.

In the first 5 days he put on something like 10 pounds, it nearly ruined his liver - some of the doctors said that he may never fully re-cover properly from it!

Couldnt believe the effects that the Mc Donalds food had on this guy - I know he really over-indulged but the effects the food was having on him was unbelievable!

It really makes you think twice and about going into Mc Donalds or any other sort of take-away or chipper. I love Mc Donalds but never really truelly realised the sh*t that's in their food.

It doesnt just deal with Mc Donalds - it also looks at obesity in the US and the causes of it.

Really worth getting if you havent already seen it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Absolutely agree. Thankfully it concreted my resolution to never eat their food again.

Scary scary stuff :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I watched it but it wont stop me having an odd bigmac from time to time!
    It is an eye opener and shows you the real value of trying to live on **** food,but then only an idiot in my opinion would try and live that way in the first place it says a lot about americans...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

If you ate nothing but mars bars it'd have the same effect. Maybe worse actually. Its not just fast food. Everything in moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

pfft, I know someone who went to burger-king and bought two meals, being the crazy guy that he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

That was a terrible analagy David19.. mars bars are not designed to be like a proper mean... MacDonalls will tell you that they have dinners.. deserts.. drinks.. etc. mars only have mars bars.. get me?

• Advertisement

Shrimp wrote:
    That was a terrible analagy David19.. mars bars are not designed to be like a proper mean... MacDonalls will tell you that they have dinners.. deserts.. drinks.. etc. mars only have mars bars.. get me?

I understand. Eat nothing but lets say pizza and a coke. Pizza and coke is a meal. Im saying anything fatty (especially if its also high in sugar and salt) is bad for you if you have too much. Mars bar was just an example off the top of my head. Get me?

ok.. slightly.. yeah but he thought he'd focus on McD's cos they say like they have nutritious food.. etc..

Shrimp wrote:
    ok.. slightly.. yeah but he thought he'd focus on McD's cos they say like they have nutritious food.. etc..

Im sure pizza makers claim their food is fine. Im sure coke do too.

yeah.. but they wont claim that it's ok to have as your breakfast.. lunch.. dinner..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

it says a lot about americans...

euro_vs_america.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Has anyone seen the new mega mac? It's double the size of the big mac. Pretty disgusting. Mc Donalds act all socially conscious by ditching the 'supersize' option, then they introduce this burger!

eth0_ wrote:
    Has anyone seen the new mega mac? It's double the size of the big mac. Pretty disgusting. Mc Donalds act all socially conscious by ditching the 'supersize' option, then they introduce this burger!

It is really horribe looking. Also theres a promotion now where if you buy a big mac you get one free. Of course some people will eat both big macs and the rest of their meal (like my friend). Unbelievable.

Shrimp i see your point. Still, if you ate the worst cereal you could buy, pizza for lunch and a burger for dinner it'd have similar affects. All those companies would say their food is grand.

yes.. point taken.. but there is a but, even if you ate.. the finest crease for breakfast, the tastiest pasta for lunch and the leanest steak for dinner everyday.. they still have a high calorie intake.. but yes, they would be healtier..

yeah.. the only advantage for buy one get one free for like 2 euro is food for the homeless, and even still that grul is not fit for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Id like to think that most of us go into mac'd's occasionaly because its convenient and we may be a bit lazy at that time to cook!
    But to actualy not know that the food you are eating is junk food is a bit stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Id like to think that most of us go into mac'd's occasionaly because its convenient and we may be a bit lazy at that time to cook!
    But to actualy not know that the food you are eating is junk food is a bit stupid!

I agree. Everyone knows MacDonalds food is junk but it doesn't mean you have to say "oh no I'd sooner die than eat it" unless you're one of these non-smoking-vegan-tee-totaller types.

You may think it's wierd but i never go to macd's unless it's just like a drink.. but even still i hate those beakers.. personnaly i like to avail of the decent food you'd get in my personal favorite little ceaser's.. like 6.50 euro lunch time menu.. thats great value!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Shrimp wrote:

but do they? ive never once heard macdonalds claim they do this? if they did then they deserve all the bad publicity they get from that film.

I still think it was a bad experiment, he should have stayed within the recommended calorie intake for someone his age\weight. Would have had more respect for it then

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I still think it was a bad experiment, he should have stayed within the recommended calorie intake for someone his age\weight. Would have had more respect for it then
    McD's have little booklets which show recommended intakes and the values that some of their meals contain, it may be only the salads though.

The new mcd ad with the guy going into the nightclub has a little note saying its food should be eaten in moderation, I think that is fairly obvious. If you had breakfast lunch and dinner in most resturaunts and went for the full starter, main and desert you would be well over the recommended calorie intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

McDonald's don't claim their food is meant to be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. It's an endulgance, they don't claim their food is nutricious or healthy, they list the calories and fat content of the meals on the back of the paper yokes, and in the leaflets. If you choose to eat it every day, it's your own fault if you end up obese and unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I havent eaten in mcdonalds in about 5 years :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

I'd say its about 6months since I had a mcd's, which im very proud of, concidering i'd go about once a wk on average on our breaks i college.
    Im saving absolutely loads of dosh by not being lazy and making a sambo to bring with me instead. Saving at least €5 a day which cant be bad, and not having **** mcd's food either!
    You gotta hand it to them though, they know how to make crap taste good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I only go to McD's about twice a year - dont live near one which is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

All processed food is technically junk, our bodies can deal with small amounts of junk, so a Big Mac, or whatever can be tolerated on small levels, but although I haven't seen the DVD on it, it shows what happens to the body, if one has pure junk for a month.

Advertisement