Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If Wenger were to leave for whatever reason, and ignoring the obvious issue the board seem to have with spending money that would make it unlikely to say the least, would anyone be opposed to Mourinho given he appears to be having problems with Madrid? He could be unemployed in the summer, or the one after.

He's far from being the most popular guy around Arsenal but he gets the job done, albeit by spending a fair bit of money. Plus, I reckon he'd love to be able to boast about bringing Arsenal to the top again and getting one over on Chelsea at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If Wenger were to leave for whatever reason, and ignoring the obvious issue the board seem to have with spending money that would make it unlikely to say the least, would anyone be opposed to Mourinho given he appears to be having problems with Madrid? He could be unemployed in the summer, or the one after.

He's far from being the most popular guy around Arsenal but he gets the job done, albeit by spending a fair bit of money. Plus, I reckon he'd love to be able to boast about bringing Arsenal to the top again and getting one over on Chelsea at least.

Yes the Arsenal board loves spending money - Mourinho must be top of their list :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

G.K. wrote: »
    I've a real suspicion if Wenger goes at the end of the season guardiola would come in.
    greendom wrote: »
    Yes the Arsenal board loves spending money - Mourinho must be top of their list :D

I have to ask if these two guys would be like fergie was in the 80s and holding out for the united job.
    Hell even the City job might be available in the near future.

People seem to have forgotten Mourinho won two European trophies without spending much money at Porto.
    He also took an Inter team Mancini could do nothing with in Europe and made them champions ahead of the so called best team of all time.
    There is more to Mourinho than relying on a club president with a big cheque book.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Barlett wrote: »
    The run in will be interesting to see because all going well he should have a pretty strong team available to him. I've seen some pretty remarkable things posted about Wenger on here since Sunday. He only won the league in 98 because he inherited the defence...that defence was there in 1993/1994 and 1995 when 12th place wasn't an odd position. Arsenal by that stage were viewed as a cup team nothing more.
    In 1993-94 Arsenal finished 4th and 12th was most certainly an odd position. Since 1975, that is the only time we finished outside the top 10, and in the 8 seasons before 1995 and every season since, Arsenal finished outside the top 6 in only one other season.
    He's transformed their style of play...won lots of competitions...this is the very first season where they're not competing at all in the league under Wenger...that's 15 years that he's made the club compete including the biggest upheaval the club has endured since WWII. We may not like Arshavin...but I remember the days of Eddie McGoldrick.
    Our style of play has arguably been weakened, as it is very easy to exploit. Tippy tappy passing at pace with questionable end product. The style of play from 2000-2005 was by far the best, comfortable when not in possession and lethal on the counter attack. And this is not the very first season we're not competing- the 2005-06 season was as bad as this one, we scraped Champions League qualification on the last day of the season because Tottenham bottled it. In 2006-07 we were never in the title race, we were comfortable for 4th place but were always way too far behind United and Chelsea to be considered competitors. Similar story in 2008-09 when Champions league qualification was looking very shaky to the point that Wenger went and bought Arshavin.

Nobody knows bar Wenger and the board what exactly is going on behind the scenes at Arsenal but I would find it strange that a man who took chances with Francis Jeffers, Reyes, Overmars and Wiltord would completely stop spending money because he's so invested in youth.

You're right- nobody knows, you wouldn't think that though by looking at some of the things some people are saying.

Sorry for countering some of the things you said- it's good that some people like yourself aren't all doom and gloom, I welcome that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Mourinihio is a world class manager having one the CL twice with different teams so i would love him to come to the emirates.I dont know why theres so many people getting their back up over Arsene Wenger.The man has done a great job the past 15 years but i think its time for a new manager to come in.Results are what count in football and AW hasnt been delivering them!

• Advertisement

Thats why I said ignoring the money issue ;)

If that was the only stumbling block I reckon they would see sense and make some funds available for him. I'm asking if people think we could get to that stage where its only a matter of money for transfer's etc that is stopping it from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Barlett wrote: »
    The run in will be interesting to see because all going well he should have a pretty strong team available to him. I've seen some pretty remarkable things posted about Wenger on here since Sunday. He only won the league in 98 because he inherited the defence...that defence was there in 1993/1994 and 1995 when 12th place wasn't an odd position. Arsenal by that stage were viewed as a cup team nothing more.

He's transformed their style of play...won lots of competitions...this is the very first season where they're not competing at all in the league under Wenger...that's 15 years that he's made the club compete including the biggest upheaval the club has endured since WWII. We may not like Arshavin...but I remember the days of Eddie McGoldrick.

Nobody knows bar Wenger and the board what exactly is going on behind the scenes at Arsenal but I would find it strange that a man who took chances with Francis Jeffers, Reyes, Overmars and Wiltord would completely stop spending money because he's so invested in youth.

I completely agree with you his early achievment with Arsenal was truly amazing he rejuvenated the the careers of Keown and Adams and brought together some truly great teams and players in the likes of Pires, Overmars, Henry, Vieira and the likes couldnt fault him there one bit thats why he has legendary status at Arsenal the problem is its been far to long since weven seen him build a quality team. Heres hoping the run in goes well.

Thats one of the problems the board and Wenger whoever fault our transfer situation is there all covering for each other so there all part of the problem really.

I would love Mourinho I know he can be an ass but I must admit when he left Chelsea I missed him and his antics, he has a knack of getting players to work threre socks off for him and really believe in him which is one the things were lacking at the momment. His football mighnt be the most attractive but neither is Arsenals right now plus he has a proven track record.

Yeh he does like to spend money but he also has an eye for a player who can be got on the cheap take Ozil who he got for 15million how much would he improve Arsenal right now.

That if it comes down to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If Mourinho joined Arsenal, the club would change over night from attitude and the mentality on the pitch. We would become winners in the head. The first giant leap to creating a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If Mourinho joined Arsenal, the club would change over night from attitude and the mentality on the pitch. We would become winners in the head. The first giant leap to creating a great team.

Your spot on the winning mentality is what we need badly at the club which has been missing since 2004/5 season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There's more chance of me succeeding Wenger than Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Stuart MacFarlane @Stuart_PhotoAFC everyone whos on twitter should follow this man, he only put up photos put he puts up some truly great ones. He Arsenals official photographer from what I can gather.

Like this one of the old days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27453474@N02/6755829677/sizes/z/in/photostream/

or this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27453474@N02/6748451701/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mourinho to Arsenal haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

G.K. wrote: »
    I've a real suspicion if Wenger goes at the end of the season guardiola would come in.

A suspicion, eh... well that's me sold.... Wenger out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Mourinho to Arsenal haha
    Not too far fetched.. :p

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Just cannot see either Mourinho or Guardiola leaving their clubs to come here.
    I also have doubts whether Guardiola would be the right man.

I think we need a disciplinarian to come and shake up the club. Someone who will not put up with players who put in no effort, think they are billy big bollocks and don't respect the club. But also a manager who has a good tactical head, reasonable experience and add to the good things at the club.

For me I would have Walter Mazzarri from Napoli top of the list followed closely by David Moyes from Everton. I agree with the points on Moyes on the last page, he would be a realistic option for the board.

I would be very happy with either, I think Mazzarri is not well known but a definite highly capable manager look at the rise of Napoli in recent years. Also quite a character and would adapt well to the English game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DB10 wrote: »

I think we need a disciplinarian to come and shake up the club. Someone who will not put up with players who put in no effort, think they are billy big bollocks and don't respect the club. But also a manager who has a good tactical head, reasonable experience and add to the good things at the club.

For me I would have Walter Mazzarri from Napoli top of the list followed closely by David Moyes from Everton. I agree with the points on Moyes on the last page, he would be a realistic option for the board.

I would be very happy with either, I think Mazzarri is not well known but a definite highly capable manager look at the rise of Napoli in recent years. Also quite a character and would adapt well to the English game.

I thnk Moyes would be very high on the list if the board wanted or needed to make a change. Not sure he would be any better than Wenger though. I don't know much about Mazzari. he did reasonably well with Sampdoria and Napoli were brilliant in the champions league qualifiers this season. Is that enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Good ol' Madrid, where you can be 5 points clear at the top of the table and still get the sack.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good ol' Madrid, where you can be 5 points clear at the top of the table and still get the sack.

Player power. Something Mourinho I don't think has ever really had to deal with before. It was always his way or the highway. That's doesn't appear to be the case at Madrid.

Mourinho is probably the best manager we could ask for if Wenger was to leave. I definitely wouldn't oppose it and it seems like most people here don't have a problem with it either, just think its unlikely to happen.

It'll be a very interesting summer whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I think you would all be mad to swap Wenger for Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Moyes is a poor man's Wenger to be honest, but I do think he'd be fairly high on the board's list.

Bar a couple of managers, the only way is down after Wenger and I don't think those managers are realistic targets, so I'm not looking forward to the prospect of losing Wenger at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wenger makes mistakes. And in recent years there has been some pretty big ones. But anyone who comes in is going to have to operate under the same financial constraints Wenger does.

Yes they'll spend more money then him certainly. But it's not like there's £200M sitting around for the new manager to blow on a new team. Off the top of my head I think we know that there is 50M (?) in the TPA account to fund new transfers.

Personally I'd prefer Wenger just to tweak the way he operates and actually go out and spend some big money early in the transfer windows, instead of bringing it to the wire in the hope of saving a couple of milion or acquiring sub-standard players like we have been doing. I don't think he will though, he's too intent on creating superstars so he can get the credit for developing them into the player they become rather than sending big and acquiring them when they are already a top talent.

There is zero chance of us getting Top 4 with the squad we have. It's not going to happen. We've been blessed with injuries to the likes of RVP and Arteta so far and that's not going to continue. Especially considering RVP has to play pretty much every single game as we have no backup striker.

We must go out and spend in this window imo. And I mean spend big on a proven attacking talent. Not buy 3 16 year olds who might come god in 5 years. We need to add some flair to our attack, because at the moment it doesn't have any if Robin has an off day. And he's having off days more regularly now because he's being forced to play so much and is being forced to create his own chances coz there's no way Walcott is. The emergence of Oxo is nice, but we can't expect him to save our season, he's only 18, and expecting him to do what he did on Sunday consistently is bananas.

If Wenger goes out and spends on a player who can backup Robin, we can make a fist of 4th place. And if said player can do a job out wide, or in behind Robin then even better. But at least we'd have given ourself a chance.

If we spend and miss out on Top 4 then at least Wenger tried his best and recognised the many failings we have in the squad. He can then trim more deadweight come summer and add some talent.

If we don't spend and miss out on Top 4 then Wenger will have blindly stuck to his guns and it will cost us Champions League and will probably, unfortunately, cost Wenger his job, which I don't want to see happen.

This squad needs investment. Big investment. And not in the summer. And not Oxo as our new superstar. And not Wilshere and Sagna will be like new signings. And not if we sign anyone it will kill Afobe and Miyachi.

Big money on a big player.

I thnk Moyes would be very high on the list if the board wanted or needed to make a change. Not sure he would be any better than Wenger though. I don't know much about Mazzari. he did reasonably well with Sampdoria and Napoli were brilliant in the champions league qualifiers this season. Is that enough ?

I'm not saying that you have to be proven in the premiership or anything but how many managers have moved to England and delivered the kind of success we'd be looking for?

i.e. taken a club into the top four and into a title race without outspending their competitors? Possibly doing this from a non-CL qualified place?

Edited to include: Also - fcuk Mourinho. We wouldn't get him but I wouldn't want him. He's outspent his rivals in every case except when he won Europe with Porto; it'd be even more of a one-man club than it is now; and in two years we'd be looking for a new manager again. Also we've a better record against Barca in the last couple of years then he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

All this talk of a new manager. Do people really think Wenger will be gone at the end of the season if he doesnt get top 4? There is no way the board will sack him if he doesnt get CL football. They have already been softening us up for no CL by releasing statements like Hill-Wood did a week or two ago.

The only way Wenger will go is if he walks which I cant see him doin next year, or if the fans try and hound him out which I do not wanna see happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anywhere Mourinho has gone he's been given pretty much a blank cheque on arrival. There's no doubt he's a great manager but having a bottomless pot of cash has no doubt helped. It would be the complete opposite if he came to Arsenal. With no money to spend, I highly doubt he'd do as good a job as Wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

jonny666 wrote: »
    All this talk of a new manager. Do people really think Wenger will be gone at the end of the season if he doesnt get top 4? There is no way the board will sack him if he doesnt get CL football. They have already been softening us up for no CL by releasing statements like Hill-Wood did a week or two ago.

The only way Wenger will go is if he walks which I cant see him doin next year, or if the fans try and hound him out which I do not wanna see happen.

Change is needed. Be that a change of manager, a change at board level, or both. I think everyone realises that Wenger and the board are going to stick by each other, which is why the frustration is growing. The board aren't pressuring Wenger to do better and Wenger isn't pressuring the board to put more money into the club. They're all a bit too cosy.

Barring a miraculous surge up the table, things are only going to get worse. If it keeps going as it is, there will be a mild hit on attendance figures and an increasing increase in the crowd voicing their disapproval like we saw at the weekend. I have the feeling that it will only get a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Guardiola has been blessed in having had some of the best players homegrown.
    He has done a great job at Barca in getting great players to work very hard, but can he succeed at another club remains to be seen.
    Mourinho has proven it in different leagues with different teams.

Anyway both of these guys would probably want one of the current top clubs in England.

Not bad idea.
    The other outside bet is the guy at Dortmund.
    Galvasean wrote: »

What about poor old del Bosque, who had been at the club for years and managed them in their last most successful times from 99 to 2003 in which they won two leagues and two CL.
    Then they shafted him claiming he was exhausted. :rolleyes:
    gosplan wrote: »
    There's more chance of me succeeding Wenger than Jose.

How much would you cost and what do you look like ?
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Personally I'd prefer Wenger just to tweak the way he operates and actually go out and spend some big money early in the transfer windows, instead of bringing it to the wire in the hope of saving a couple of milion or acquiring sub-standard players like we have been doing. I don't think he will though, he's too intent on creating superstars so he can get the credit for developing them into the player they become rather than sending big and acquiring them when they are already a top talent.

My major gripe with Wenger is not that he won't spend big and that he seems to procrastinate for too long, but he doesn't appear to be learning any lessons from previous seasons.
    He did nothing for years about getting a solid proven goalkeeper, he now appears to be getting no backup in for RVP, he doesn't appear to be changing his tactics when they are getting stale, he doesn't appear to be able to motivate the team and solve the issues with confidence and mental toughness.
    He has appeared for a few years to have been hellbent on proving he could build a team from his young guys, but that team proved to have had a very soft centre to it.
    Only when three of the core of that team left did it finally dawn on him that the youth project was over.
    Then he was left scrambling at the ar** end of transfer window looking for older guys with experience to come in and fill gaps.
    gosplan wrote: »
    Edited to include: Also - fcuk Mourinho. We wouldn't get him but I wouldn't want him. He's outspent his rivals in every case except when he won Europe with Porto; it'd be even more of a one-man club than it is now; and in two years we'd be looking for a new manager again. Also we've a better record against Barca in the last couple of years then he has.

Ok lets look at facts about this claim about Mourinho always outspending his rivals.

Mourinho took over at Inter in spring 2008.
    In 2008/2009 these are Inters transfers.
    He bought in Quaresma, Muntari, Mancini and a few others.
    He spent 53 million and most of it was on Quaresma from Porto.
    He got rid of the likes of Adriano and some others and only made 6 odd million.
    He did spent about 46 million.

Now in 2009/2010 these are Inters transfers.
    Milito, Eto, Sneijder, Motta, Lucio and few others came in.
    He spent 82 million.
    But the thing is he sold Ibrahimovic and Maxwell amongst others and he made
    93 million.
    So he made 10 odd million.

Juve spent more than him in those years.
    So did he outspend everyone else in Seria A nevermind La Liga or the PL ?

I think it is unfair to always trot out the line now that all of Mourinho's success outside of Porto is down to some sugar daddy waving his cheque book.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Anywhere Mourinho has gone he's been given pretty much a blank cheque on arrival. There's no doubt he's a great manager but having a bottomless pot of cash has no doubt helped. It would be the complete opposite if he came to Arsenal. With no money to spend, I highly doubt he'd do as good a job as Wenger.

See above.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

jMayo made a very good point there.. Again, I'm the last person in the world thiat thinks Wenger should leave. But if at the end of the season, he does decide he's had enough. I think Jurgen Klopp would be a sensational appointment.. I've followed Borussia Dortmund for the last few years now, and the man has done wonders there. I genuinely think they are one of the best teams to watch in europe at the moment also. There is no superstar in that team, they all just put in a massive shift for each other in every game..
    He done a great job at Mainz also before he took over BVB..

Only problem is, he's a bit of a maverick. Ala, Mouriniho. But I reckon the man could deffo do a job at the Arsenal..

He appears to be building for the future at Dortmund tho, by recently signing Reus. So not entirely sure how willing he would be to leave.. But then again, if we go throwing Wengers money at him????

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Ok lets look at facts about this claim about Mourinho always outspending his rivals.

Mourinho took over at Inter in spring 2008.
    In 2008/2009 these are Inters transfers.
    He bought in Quaresma, Muntari, Mancini and a few others.
    He spent 53 million and most of it was on Quaresma from Porto.
    He got rid of the likes of Adriano and some others and only made 6 odd million.
    He did spent about 46 million.

Now in 2009/2010 these are Inters transfers.
    Milito, Eto, Sneijder, Motta, Lucio and few others came in.
    He spent 82 million.
    But the thing is he sold Ibrahimovic and Maxwell amongst others and he made
    93 million.
    So he made 10 odd million.

Juve spent more than him in those years.
    So did he outspend everyone else in Seria A nevermind La Liga or the PL ?

I think it is unfair to always trot out the line now that all of Mourinho's success outside of Porto is down to some sugar daddy waving his cheque book.

See above.

Ok, outspent is probably wrong in the inter case but they had a pretty good squad in terms of their rivals to begin with. Plus they convinced Barca to pay 60 million for Ibra.

He did outspend at Chelsea though and spent a fair bit at Madrid too.

However, it would be wholly ignorant to say that that's all there is to Mourhino, it's not.
    jmayo wrote: »
    How much would you cost and what do you look like ?

Peanuts, Devilishly handsome and I even bought the right overcoat this winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement