Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horizon box HDMI out with splitter

Options
  • 19-03-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to send the HDMI signal from the horizon box through a HDMI splitter and then from the splitter into two other TVs (i.e. simultaneously, not through a hdmi switch)

Already asked here and got the usual "dont know/dont support it" type response.

Just want to know if someone tried it before I invest in 30 or 40 euro for the splitter.

Thanks,
    Muppet man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Is it possible to send the HDMI signal from the horizon box through a HDMI splitter and then from the splitter into two other TVs (i.e. simultaneously, not through a hdmi switch)

Already asked here and got the usual "dont know/dont support it" type response.

Just want to know if someone tried it before I invest in 30 or 40 euro for the splitter.

Thanks,
    Muppet man

You can send a signal to another tv via a hdmi splitter box, it will need to be powered to send over a distance. However you will be watching the same picture on both, and as the Horizon box remote is bluetooth Im not sure how you'd change it in another room might be possible using tablet app?

You can use a triax tri-link but this is via scart, and as far as I know with all UPC boxes you can only use either hdmi or scart not both at the same time and once again you would be able to control it in the other room via the magic eye method but I mite be wrong on this as havent tried it...the minute I see those horizon boxes I cringe there so awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks Steveon... thats correct with the UPC Horizon box... SCART and HDMI outputs, it will only facilitate one at a time. But its no big deal. I'm just trying to get the HDMI signal to go two locations, so just wanted to be sure that the 2 way HDMI splitter would work. 54 euro in Maplins I think.

Cheers!

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks Steveon... thats correct with the UPC Horizon box... SCART and HDMI outputs, it will only facilitate one at a time. But its no big deal. I'm just trying to get the HDMI signal to go two locations, so just wanted to be sure that the 2 way HDMI splitter would work. 54 euro in Maplins I think.

You asked if someone had tried it, that poster who responded hasn't actually said that he has done it. I could have provided the same response but chose not to reply because I can't say with 100% certainty that it will work. It probably will as the poster said but you asked for someone with direct experience to respond.

Just saying.

True... Thanks, I think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

steveon wrote: »
    Horizon box remote is bluetooth

Its RF, not bluetooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Its RF, not bluetooth.

As I said wasn't sure about the remote so I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Its RF, not bluetooth.

Bluetooth is RF. The point being made is that a non-IR remote won't work with 'magic eyes'.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Bluetooth is RF. The point being made is that a non-IR remote won't work with 'magic eyes'.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What's that all about, is there some relevance of Bluetooth v. non-Bluetooth that I'm unaware of?

Couldn't you explain it to me rather than giving it the 'rolleyes'?

Bluetooth is a specific technology that uses RF so while all Bluetooth is RF, not all RF is Bluetooth.

I kinda just assumed everyone knew this and you were being really weirdly pedantic, hence the rolleyes.

• Advertisement

I was being pedantic alright but, I read your post as making a distinction between RF & Bluetooth, so that's a mistake on my part. :)

Just to close the loop here. I have sent the HDMI signal from a horizon box into a splitter and from there to two other devices. Works fine. Bought it from vortex satellite on eBay

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bartelby

Hi Muppetman,

What distance were you sending the signal over? Think this might suit my needs but 2nd TV is about 10 m away from the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marty13

Bartelby wrote: »
    Hi Muppetman,

What distance were you sending the signal over? Think this might suit my needs but 2nd TV is about 10 m away from the box.

Hi folks, I've tried this but am getting UPC error 2040. Any idea what I need to do to sort this?

Bartelby wrote: »

It wasnt far, only about 3 feet...
    I've tried this but am getting UPC error 2040. Any idea what I need to do to sort this?

What exactly did you try? Describe your setup. Are you using the new Horizon box, or an old UPC box?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marty13

It wasnt far, only about 3 feet...

What exactly did you try? Describe your setup. Are you using the new Horizon box, or an old UPC box?

Thanks for getting back to me Muppet Man. It's the new Horizon box, hdmi cable put into splitter, two outlets from splitter (one hdmi into tv in living room and one through 15m hdmi cable to bedroom). When it's all hooked up, I get the error code 2040. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

I'm thinking it might be a firmware issue on the horizon box that prevents this kind of setup but happy to be told otherwise!

Its a HDCP error which means the connecting device isn't HDCP compliant and therefor isn't recognised.

Googleing this error shows quite a few discussions on this topic and it seems that not all splitters are created equal in this regard. Also, a lot of cheap splitters only support an older version of HDMI, often 1.2 which is another reason they don't work properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also, a lot of cheap splitters only support an older version of HDMI, often 1.2 which is another reason they don't work properly.
    Some very cheap HDMI splitters will only handle one output at a time. So no extracting the audio on the other channel :(

What you can get are HDMI to VGA + Audio, and then split the analog signals. Works for laptop video output but almost certainly won't for protected content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

How much / where did you buy the splitter?

I only have the old UPC box and the HDMI is split fine and sent to two different devices.... (only about 3 feet apart). I paid about 150 Euro for my splitter. There are some HDMI splitters online for about 10 euro... and AFAIK, these will not work.

I havent actually tried it on the Horizon box, so it could be a HDCP issues as mentioned above, or HDMI 1.2 v 1.3 issue on the splitter.

Muppet Man.

Advertisement