Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ingredient Substitue for Wine (Red or White) ?

Options
  • 26-01-2005 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

No alcohol in my house so whenever I come across a recipe that contains alcohol I normally just pass it by.

Can anyone suggest what is a valid substitute for Red or White wine in a recipe though?
    If I just add water then I feel like I would be losing out in flavour, especially with lasagne.

Any suggestions welcome please......

Could I use a wine vineger or something (obviously not to the same measurement of the wine :D )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

flyz wrote:
    No alcohol in my house so whenever I come across a recipe that contains alcohol I normally just pass it by.

Can anyone suggest what is a valid substitute for Red or White wine in a recipe though?
    If I just add water then I feel like I would be losing out in flavour, especially with lasagne.

Any suggestions welcome please......

Could I use a wine vineger or something (obviously not to the same measurement of the wine :D )

Stock maybe for stuff like risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Mopst of the time if you use a bottle of wine in a recipe you boil of the alchohol first. If you have one of those small 200ml bottles boil it till it halves in volume. This we get rid of all the alchohol which biols off at 80 Degrees Celsius. I cannot recommend a substitute sorry. The flavour is unique in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

kmick wrote:
    Mopst of the time if you use a bottle of wine in a recipe you boil of the alchohol first. If you have one of those small 200ml bottles boil it till it halves in volume. This we get rid of all the alchohol which biols off at 80 Degrees Celsius. I cannot recommend a substitute sorry. The flavour is unique in fairness.

Unfortunately this isn't an option :(

Especially when some of the frequent dinner guests abstain from alcohol for religious reasons!

I know the flavour is unique but I'm just looking for a substitute that will not leave the dish bland.

I think I'll have to start experimenting :)

I'll try the stock option alright, it'll give it something anyway.

thank you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

try broullion(sp?) stock.. it's natural and really tasty!

Cork_girl wrote:
    try broullion(sp?) stock.. it's natural and really tasty!

That's the exact one I'm gonna try! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just a thought ... what about non-alcoholic wine? I've no idea where you might get it in Ireland, but it certainly exists. Just Google on "non-alcoholic wine" and you get loads of hits.

Also what about the "wine" they use in churches for communion? Have a word with your local priest and see if he can lend you a bottle or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Also what about the "wine" they use in churches for communion? Have a word with your local priest and see if he can lend you a bottle or two.

I beleive that Church wine is normal table wine. The only difference is that the Church doesn't pay duty on it.. So I was told during my pre-marriage course anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

flyz wrote:
    Unfortunately this isn't an option :(

Especially when some of the frequent dinner guests abstain from alcohol for religious reasons!
    erm whats the problem - they abstain from alcohol, but when you cook with wine there's no alcohol in it anyhow cos it boils off at ~ 80 oC..... same as brandy etc...
    now xmas cake is different, the brandy goes into the cake also after it comes out of the oven, and hence doesn't boil off...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I beleive that Church wine is normal table wine. The only difference is that the Church doesn't pay duty on it.. So I was told during my pre-marriage course anyway!
    So if I set up my own religion I can get cheap booze?

kenmc wrote:
    erm whats the problem - they abstain from alcohol, but when you cook with wine there's no alcohol in it anyhow cos it boils off at ~ 80 oC..... same as brandy etc...

That's what they believe in and I don't question it ;)

I might look into the non alcoholic wine as well.

I'll try the stock with some of the vinegar over the weekend though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

There's something wrong with this. You are encouraged to take the pledge, and many people do . Is it ok for you to drink church wine?
    Or should I really not go there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You can get a kinda gravy/sauce base thats like a sort of unfermented wine plus stock - since its unfermented there is no alcohol in it (and never was).

I used to use it when I wasnt a wine drinker - it also keeps a lot longer than a bottle of wine - so it saves you wasting the good just to add to a recipe.

A big supermarket like a tesco extra should have it. There is a white version and a red version.

secret_squirrel sounds perfect, do you have a name for the stuff?

fjon, when you drink the wine at mass it's no longer wine , it's transformed to the blood of christ, or so we're told anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

flyz wrote:
    That's what they believe in and I don't question it ;)

Ah yeah, but what they don't know can't hurt them.....

kenmc wrote:
    Ah yeah, but what they don't know can't hurt them.....

I don't know about you but personally I believe in respecting in what other people believe in. :rolleyes:

Advertisement