Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishcycling.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

It's about cycling, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Its like Stickybottle with a hangover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Christ thats poxy to look at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

That's difficult to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Looks like a boards post tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Some harsh comments. Surely it's more about content than look? Indo looks good but the content is rubbish and full of typos etc, yet it's fully funded etc.

Either way it's better than seeing the attached notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

The archives section is the best (and only) comprehensive living history of our sport for the first ten years of this century. Website design may have moved on a lot, but this site was light years ahead of its time when first launched. It's great to see it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

someone call a webdesigner quick...one for sticky bottle too while yer at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm with @slow on this one, great to see it back.

Fine, the webdesign may not be the greatest, but if they skimmed on the design in order to ensure they got up and running then I'm glad they did. It the content that matters and they can work on the design as it gets the traffic back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Gosh that is one busy website ...maybe need to take on board the view that less is more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Great to see it back. It was a proper cycling racing website. Races, results, photos. That was pretty much it, no interviews with 16 year old kids saying they wanted to ride for team Sky. No routine republishing of the same old coaching piece they published 8 months earlier. If the was nothing to publish, they published nothing.

It may not look too pretty but with other sites it's a case of all fur coat, no knickers. At least here it's proper content u want to consume.

Welcome back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Great to see it back. A proper cycle racing website. No interviews with 16 year old kids saying they were going to ride for team Sky. No routine republishing of the same old "coaching" guff they published 8 months earlier.

Race previews, results and photos is what u got. If the was nothing to publish, they posted nothing. No rehashing a commuter road rage vid to boost traffic - so it doesn't look brand new , all fur coat and no knickers comes to mind when thinking of other outlets

I welcome their return. Chapeau!

Glad I am not alone in saying content is king!! Only last weekend, one of our media outlets referred to the Rugby World Cup as the biggest / most important sporting event happening— that in a week that the World Cycling Championships were in full flight. Therefore, any site that gives the Irish people with an interest in Cycling, quality information on a true, and significant worldwide sport, has to be welcomed!

While my earlier comment may seem harsh it's part of the reason this site has issues.
    Great to see it back. It was a proper cycling racing website. Races, results, photos. That was pretty much it, no interviews with 16 year old kids saying they wanted to ride for team Sky. No routine republishing of the same old coaching piece they published 8 months earlier. If the was nothing to publish, they published nothing.

It may not look too pretty but with other sites it's a case of all fur coat, no knickers. At least here it's proper content u want to consume.

Welcome back!

It's great to see it back agreed but I fear it won't last long because of everything it stands for. Unfortunately the ****ty interviews, coaching articles and annoyingly in your face adds are what keeps the stickeybottle going. If there's nothing to read you won't get traffic, no traffic no sponsors, no sponsors no site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

From the footer of the site:
    Copying prohibited, All contents © IrishCycling.com

Yet their articles seem to just be copied from Cycling Ireland's news section (http://www.cyclingireland.ie/news/all/0)

Also, it won't survive if it keeps looking like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

this site did fantastic work to publicise our sport through the early noughties.Told the story of many a race and I am delighted its back.This was a site where the teller of the stories was actually at the events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

wav1 wrote: »
    this site did fantastic work to publicise our sport through the early noughties.Told the story of many a race and I am delighted its back.This was a site where the teller of the stories was actually at the events.

ah but there were less "keyboard warriors" back then... less to take a pop at it in otherwords..
    better to have it than not have any reporting of regional events etc

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

scott.s wrote: »
    From the footer of the site:

Yet their articles seem to just be copied from Cycling Ireland's news section (http://www.cyclingireland.ie/news/all/0)

Also, it won't survive if it keeps looking like that...
    If it's just copying CI press releases that's actually one of the reasons for issuing them in that way. The only issue is if the website holds out to be the original author which does not appear to be the case here

My own view I'd the site will not survive. The Irish market is simply not big enough for more than one site of this nature and whatever people's thoughts on the matter SB seems to have the market covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Website doesn't seem to bad compared to boards which seems to be falling apart the last few days.

What the heck is a 503 sqql error.????

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bazermc wrote: »
    Website doesn't seem to bad compared to boards which seems to be falling apart the last few days.

That's one for the Site Development forum although there are a few threads in Feedback about this and similar issues with the site. It's not something we can try and cover off here though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    If it's just copying CI press releases that's actually one of the reasons for issuing them in that way. The only issue is if the website holds out to be the original author which does not appear to be the case here

My own view I'd the site will not survive. The Irish market is simply not big enough for more than one site of this nature and whatever people's thoughts on the matter SB seems to have the market covered

The whole issue of copyright is so complex. I am sure respective phrase is to cover them on their licencing with 3rd parties to use the copy — which would generally be non-exclusive use. Having that phrase covers them from others using it and swing they got it from them.

The only good thing about SB is the brandname. Apart from that, it's as basic as it gets. There is a space for a new entrant and may the best site win. Content is key and SB is not exactly brimming with interesting content, though it has a kind of quasi first mover / traction advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bazermc wrote: »

Getting a fair amount of "unable to connect to www7" or something like that myself.

Both Server directory errors, you getting them on just the cycling forum or in other sections? might help the Devs narrow it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There's a big thread on the feedback forum about it already - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057502854&page=5

HQ are well aware of the problems (but feel free to post about it there anyway), but fixing it is slow as it's a weekend. Hopefully an Admin will tell us what's been causing these problems, they're annoying the heck out of me too.

Advertisement