Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 520 Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Resurrecting this with a question for 520 users.
    Are you happy with the purchase and how well are the new features working? Any garmin glitches?

I had a 500, lost it over a month ago, was going to replace it with another 500, but the 520 was then announced.
    Read up on the 520, I am not sure I will use the extra options as I don't have a power meter.

The spanner in the works is that Aldi are going to sell the 500 for 109 euro next week. At that price is the 520 worth the extra?

Thanks
    Ruari

I've had a 500 for the past three and a half years and it's a brilliant device. I was all set on an upgrade to the 520, but ...€109 for an Edge 500? That is some deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Koobcam wrote: »
    I've had a 500 for the past three and a half years and it's a brilliant device. I was all set on an upgrade to the 520, but ...€109 for an Edge 500? That is some deal...

Same here, really can't decide if for me its just new fancy gadget upgrade or a functionality upgrade.

109 for the 500 is the sensible decision.
    But gadgetry is rarely sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Which method are you ladies and gents using to make courses for your 520?

I'm having trouble getting Course Points (Turn signals) to work. I've been trying to use Bike Route Toaster, but the unit doesn't pick up the course when I move over the start point. I also try to use Garmin Connect, but the website gets the "Loading" wheel of death whenever I try and alter a course. I've tried 3 different browsers.

Software update 3.0 is out. I was hoping it would address this issue but it doesn't seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I use ridewithgps for my 500 and it works perfectly. so id guess it would work perfectly on the 520 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I use rodewithgps for routes on the 520 and it's fine.
    The strava route builder should work fine too as it allows you to export gpx (under the 800/810 option).
    https://www.strava.com/routes

I've never used turn signals, I just get a banner at the top with some variation of "ride east" or something like that.
    Would be interested to see how one can get actual turns displayed...

• Advertisement

TheTubes wrote: »
    I've never used turn signals, I just get a banner at the top with some variation of "ride east" or something like that.
    Would be interested to see how one can get actual turns displayed...

With Bike Route Toaster, you put course points in at the junctions, then assign arrows to them (left, right, sharp left etc).
    D3PO wrote: »
    I use ridewithgps for my 500 and it works perfectly. so id guess it would work perfectly on the 520 too.

These work fine with the Garmin 500 (I had a lend of one a while ago). I also assumed they'd work fine with the 520.

However, I haven't been able to get them to work with the 520 yet. They're handy if you don't want to stare at your map while riding. The way the 500 did it, was it would make a chime, then show you an arrow for which direction you should be going. As far as I know, they only work on TCX files.

Is this the feature you are talking about?
    TCX COURSE:

Great for use with all the Garmin Edge devices.
    The “Notify Before Turn” setting is available for Premium and Basic subscribers.
    “Reduce to 500 points” is for much older devices.

From here: http://ridewithgps.com/help/export-routes-to-garmin-device

Doesnt seem like ride with gps allows you to manually put points with a turn direction but does allow you to export the generated turns if you are premium?

Is this the feature you are talking about?

From here: http://ridewithgps.com/help/export-routes-to-garmin-device

Doesnt seem like ride with gps allows you to manually put points with a turn direction but does allow you to export the generated turns if you are premium?

I think it's the same feature, yeah. But I haven't used Ridewithgps. It's a free to use feature on Bikeroutetoaster.com. You plot your waypoints, assign turn directions to them, then choose to include them in the TCX when exporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

it is on the basic version of ridewithgps. you click the checkbox and it will export the generated turns.

D3PO wrote: »
    it is on the basic version of ridewithgps. you click the checkbox and it will export the generated turns.

Cheers. I'll give that a go and see if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i have the 810. Had it nearly 2 years. thinking of moving it on and going for the 520. Any one done the same?

How would people rate the 520?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bit offtopic, but...

I'm a long time Garmin user but I reckon Garmin bike computers are eventually going to die like Garmin sat navs, at least for leisure (non-racing/power training) use. The mapping and navigation has always been fairly awful and the hardware design and execution poor (snapping mounts, unreliable altimeters).

Since I stopped racing and training a while ago I haven't use my Garmin, I just stick my water-resistant Android phone in my jersey pocket and ride my bike. It'd be nice to see distance, time and navigation options on the bike, so I'm thinking of getting a Sony Z3C or Z5C with a Quadlock. Unfortunately both are massive compared to a Garmin 520, though not much bigger than a 1000, and the Quadlock is really deep so results in a bit of a gimpy look.

I'm quite tempted to try a cheapo mini ruggedised phone running Strava. Has anyone tried this approach and compared to a Garmin Edge?

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Android_Phones/1-3_Inch_Android_Phones/

Only concern would be battery life and how well the touchscreen works when wet (Sony has wet finger tracking but the phones are big and expensive).

Also, Strava is working on Ant+ support, and there are loads of phones which support it (including the Z3C)...

http://www.thisisant.com/consumer/ant-101/ant-in-phones

...but Strava are still bugfixing the code before the beta app becomes available:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Strava/comments/35sb5j/sign_up_to_test_stravas_android_ant_build/

It has to be only a matter of time before Android + Strava + Ant + waterproof phones = death to Garmins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Lumen wrote: »
    It has to be only a matter of time before Android + Strava + Ant + waterproof phones = death to Garmins.

I don't think so. The bad battery life, fragility and expense of phones will make them a second rate solution for a long time. Battery life is not going to get any better since the consumers have spoken and they say they want bigger screens and thinner phones and to hell with battery life. A standard phone is always going to be more fragile than a smaller device like a Garmin 500.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There are only a few Garmin bike computers that at sat nav as the unique selling point. The majority of people use them for stats on their rides as you pointed out.

I use the 810 and maps a fair bit. Good. Not great and no way would i totally depend in one

Is it worth changing from a 810 to a 520?

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I don't think so. The bad battery life, fragility and expense of phones will make them a second rate solution for a long time. Battery life is not going to get any better since the consumers have spoken and they say they want bigger screens and thinner phones and to hell with battery life. A standard phone is always going to be more fragile than a smaller device like a Garmin 500.
    A Garmin has a slightly higher chance of surviving being launched off the bike, but a much greater chance of that happening in the first place due to Garmin's woeful manufacturing and design. I and most of the cyclists I know personally have suffered Garmin mount failures over the years.

Battery life is a solved problem. I have done several all day rides with a Galaxy S5 running Strava on a standard battery and not nearly run out of power, albeit with data restricted. If I was using navigation with data and found power a problem I'd just get a larger capacity battery.

Expense is zero if you own the phone already. Lots of people have insurance on their phones as a matter of course (my wife has smashed countless screens). Garmins are not typically insured.

I'm not claiming that Garmin is dead yet, but IMO it's only a matter of time before they become a niche product even in the niche they're currently in.

Even aside from pure phones, someone will probably develop a compact Android bike computer if they haven't already. That would have all the form factor and battery advantages of a Garmin without the appalling navigation (although I'm basing that on my 705 which is admittedly several generations out of date).

A Garmin has a slightly higher chance of surviving being launched off the bike, but a much greater chance of that happening in the first place due to Garmin's woeful manufacturing and design. I and most of the cyclists I know personally have suffered Garmin mount failures over the years.

Battery life is a solved problem. I have done several all day rides with a Galaxy S5 running Strava on a standard battery and not nearly run out of power, albeit with data restricted. If I was using navigation with data and found power a problem I'd just get a larger capacity battery.

Expense is zero if you own the phone already. Lots of people have insurance on their phones as a matter of course (my wife has smashed countless screens). Garmins are not typically insured.

I'm not claiming that Garmin is dead yet, but IMO it's only a matter of time before they become a niche product even in the niche they're currently in.

Even aside from pure phones, someone will probably develop a compact Android bike computer if they haven't already. That would have all the form factor and battery advantages of a Garmin without the appalling navigation (although I'm basing that on my 705 which is admittedly several generations out of date).

On your last point Sony and Canyon have developed a head unit that uses android wear. Looks cool

godtabh wrote: »
    On your last point Sony and Canyon have developed a head unit that uses android wear. Looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09PQ-5OZyGM

This type of thing looks like the future alright; As it's essentially a second screen for whatever you're running on your phone, it can adapt with technology.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09PQ-5OZyGM

This type of thing looks like the future alright; As it's essentially a second screen for whatever you're running on your phone, it can adapt with technology.
    The most baffling part of that is where at 2 minutes in casual-cycling-dude knows which of the two complicated high-5-fistbump-handshakes to use on which sitting-at-table dude. Is there a finishing school for this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Bit offtopic, but...

I'm a long time Garmin user but I reckon Garmin bike computers are eventually going to die like Garmin sat navs, at least for leisure (non-racing/power training) use. The mapping and navigation has always been fairly awful and the hardware design and execution poor (snapping mounts, unreliable altimeters).

Since I stopped racing and training a while ago I haven't use my Garmin, I just stick my water-resistant Android phone in my jersey pocket and ride my bike. It'd be nice to see distance, time and navigation options on the bike, so I'm thinking of getting a Sony Z3C or Z5C with a Quadlock. Unfortunately both are massive compared to a Garmin 520, though not much bigger than a 1000, and the Quadlock is really deep so results in a bit of a gimpy look.

I'm quite tempted to try a cheapo mini ruggedised phone running Strava. Has anyone tried this approach and compared to a Garmin Edge?

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Android_Phones/1-3_Inch_Android_Phones/

Only concern would be battery life and how well the touchscreen works when wet (Sony has wet finger tracking but the phones are big and expensive).

Also, Strava is working on Ant+ support, and there are loads of phones which support it (including the Z3C)...

http://www.thisisant.com/consumer/ant-101/ant-in-phones

...but Strava are still bugfixing the code before the beta app becomes available:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Strava/comments/35sb5j/sign_up_to_test_stravas_android_ant_build/

It's worth nothing that a lot of the newer phones have built in Barometers etc.

None of the popular riding apps utilise this functionality (No riding apps do as far as my research went a few weeks ago)

Why? Who knows!

If they did I'd happily recommend a phone over a Garmin. The only thing the Edge 1000 can't do is make a phone call and at its price point, I always recommend using a phone with a good battery life, bar the point I mentioned above.

The Edge 520 is a mini 1000 minus WiFi as far as I can remember.

Not having to use a PC to upload your ride to "wherever" is very handy.

• Advertisement

None of the popular riding apps utilise this functionality (No riding apps do as far as my research went a few weeks ago)

Why? Who knows!
    You can't do altitude difference without pressure and ambient temperature. The Android API has only supported ambient temp sensors since 4.0.
    The altimeter works on the principle that the pressure within a column of air varies in a known way with height. The mathematical relationship that relates them is:

z = (RT/gM).loge(po/p)

where z is the height difference between the starting height and the measurement height, R is the gas constant, T is temperature of the air measured in Kelvin, g is the acceleration due to gravity, M is the molar mass of the gas (in this case air), po is the atmospheric pressure at the starting height and p is the atmospheric pressure at the measurement height.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Upgraded from Edge 500 to the 520 because of bigger screen and bluetooth connectivity. The phone caller display is great. Not bothered with the strava stuff or maps but like the powermeter graphs and interval training functions.
    Overall, its a great upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

This just arrived in the door :D. My xmas pressie to myself. Set up and everything quickly enough, very user friendly in that regard.
    Might do a turbo session tomorrow but won't get out proper til the weekend. #chuffed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Does anyone know if you can show avg speed in the data fields on the 520?

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can show avg speed in the data fields on the 520?

Yup, avg speed, avg lap speed, last lap avg speed.
    http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge520/EN-US/GUID-D833DA3E-E3DD-4DEF-A0E9-802451B0604C.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

There's a huge selection of data fields, deciding what to go with takes a few attempts but a super unit for a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Got a 520Bundle at a steal over a month ago.
    New to Garmins so can't make comparisons however I will say it's an excellent device whilst out cycling ....strava live segements are interesting and the plethora of info at hand.Good sized screen for a compact gadget.Battery not an issue.
    Post ride its easy to upload and scrutinise the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

Just downloaded firmware 8.00 update. Auto-start of Garmin Connect Livetrack is now an option which is very handy. No more unlock of phone, open app, start track, lock phone, put back in pocket and put back on winter glove. It's a handy feature so the family can know where I am and when I'm nearly home. The option becomes available in your Garmin Connect mobile app after the firmware update is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Why? Who knows!

If they did I'd happily recommend a phone over a Garmin. The only thing the Edge 1000 can't do is make a phone call and at its price point, I always recommend using a phone with a good battery life, bar the point I mentioned above.

The Edge 520 is a mini 1000 minus WiFi as far as I can remember.

Not having to use a PC to upload your ride to "wherever" is very handy.
    I seem to be in a tiny minority of ppl who actually want to escape their phone when cycling!
    Why would making a call even be an issue!?
    I can understand ppl wanting to upload rides afterwards, but on the bike surely all you want is info relevant to the cycle, speed, distance etc, but who bloody wants their watsapp annoying them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My edge 500 finally went kaput. Actually it works perfectly but the button covers wore away making operation tricky.

Picked up a 520 after seeing the online price from halfords, €166 seemed like a pretty good deal to me!

Advertisement