Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important do you think an optical drive is today?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a Zenbook UX31A Touch.
    I has no optical drive what so ever which was initially putting me off, but then I thought to myself I can't remember the last time I actually used my own optical drive on my current laptop!

So I'm just looking for how other people would feel about a laptop lacking an optical drive to give myself a bit more scope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

last time i ued an optical drive was about 2 years ago... i totally removed mine and added an extra Hard Drive... you can get a caddy for a USB one if you really need to use one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I think it depends on your needs. It is handy to have on but if you only need to burn CDs/DVDs once in a blue moon then its easy to buy an external one or just use someone else s.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Haven't had a laptop with a CD/DVD drive for about 4 years, never miss it. Only use one about once a year, and you can get cheap external writers that will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

in saying that i never use mine my mum just came home with the Driver theory test CD for me FML better root out the external one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

U_Fig wrote: »
    in saying that i never use mine my mum just came home with the Driver theory test CD for me FML better root out the external one

They use awful DRM on that.. being a unique type of product, they probably don't want half of Ireland mooching a copy. Don't waste your time trying to copy it over to your HD. 'Drivers' of some sort are installed on your PC too.. I can't remember what protection scheme they were using when I bought mine, but I didn't appreciate the sting in the tail left behind, after using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Obsolete in general and yet it's handy to have one around... to rip a CD or DVD. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Thanks for the replies, puts my mind at ease a bit. I won't be throwing out my macbook anyway, not yet :p
    It will become my music device :)

Advertisement