Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop keyboard jumps all over the place

• 06-02-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Dell Inspiron 1720

When typing the curser jumps all over the place, for no reason.
    I am not touching the pad, I have it disconnected.
    I have all drivers downloaded.

It seems like a virus of some sort.

Any ideas.

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Did you get a new charger by any chance?? Try it on battery power and see if the same thing happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi.

Tried that and its the same, still jumping around.

I have downloaded all drivers and I,m not near the touchpad.

It's very annoying.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Jay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Jay,

A virus would be made to do bad stuff rather then make your cursor jump around, so it's more then likely not that.

First this to do:

Identify if it is the trackpad or keyboard that is making it jump. Once that is done, can focus on which one to fix. There should be a function key associated with turning the track pad on/off - mine is f10 - not sure about your model. If no function key, go into device manager, go to mouse and other pointing devices and right click, then disable device. Then go to notepad and type away - if no jumping then it's a problem with trackpad. Either the settings are too sensitive, the driver is ****ed, or it needs cleaning. Use your keyboard shortcuts to reenable the trackpad (if still open, alt+tab to the device manager, else, windows button and type device manager, then tab and then down to mouse, across to open mouse, then right click keyboard button, down to 'enable'.

Although, it probably is the mouse - but best do that just to double check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I have the same thing (same machine) but only in the last 4-5 mts , I just bypassed it, that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

99% sure it'll be the driver. If you go into windows update, check for updates - look at the normal updates AND OPTIONAL updates - might see something for input devices.

Else download the driver from dell http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/inspiron-1720# - under 'input' although it sounds like you have already done so?

• Advertisement
Advertisement