Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

laptop shuts down unexpectantly

Options
  • 05-02-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

This keeps happening after i stop using for a little while i.e. even an hour. Normally it would have stayed in standby mode.

I checked the windows report of the problem but of course, it's gobbledy gook to me. I'm wondering if I post the report, can anyone translate and then offer any advice? Is it ok to post this?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

paddles wrote: »
    This keeps happening after i stop using for a little while i.e. even an hour. Normally it would have stayed in standby mode.

I checked the windows report of the problem but of course, it's gobbledy gook to me. I'm wondering if I post the report, can anyone translate and then offer any advice? Is it ok to post this?
    Thanks.

is it over heating

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

paddles wrote: »

Thanks.

can you give us the age/model of the laptop please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Hold the bottom of the laptop to your ear and see if you can hear the cooling fan cut in. That's what happened mine,
    the temperature got too hot and it closed itself down automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

duckysauce wrote: »
    is it over heating

Would bet that fan needs cleaning or replacing. Can't recall what but I've used software to monitor the cpu and motherboard temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Would bet that fan needs cleaning or replacing. Can't recall what but I've used software to monitor the cpu and motherboard temperatures.

Speed Fan is quite good for this.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

• Advertisement

or Core Temp
    Cpu Temperature www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Speed Fan is quite good for this.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Ok, have downloaded but as not a teckie, have no idea how to interpret the data. What stats should I have???:confused:

I seem to remember my techie telling me that a 70% temp would be fairly normal.

Advertisement