Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

53/39 or 52/36 crankset

• 03-10-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Hi there just wondering would I get away with a 52/36 chainring for racing? Changed to 53/39 this year and I haven't been happy with it, I thought myself I went a lot better in a 52/36. I'm getting a new bike in November and I want to know should I switch back to 52/36?

What combo do you racers have for racing in Ireland? I'm afraid on flat straights, I could spin out with a 52/36 so I just don't know what to do now. Perhaps I could put a 30/12 cassette on the back with the 53/39?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

You're afraid of spinning out a 52/11 on the flat?

Work on your cadence. If you can spin that gear on the flat at 130 you'll be doing 77kph. When was the last time you did that speed in a race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Plastik wrote: »
    You're afraid of spinning out a 52/11 on the flat?

Work on your cadence. If you can spin that gear on the flat at 130 you'll be doing 77kph. When was the last time you did that speed in a race?
    This.
    You've kinda answered your own question as you sound like you prefer the super compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Hit 77km/h twice this year. Des Hanlon in Carlow and Charleville 2day this year.

What be the difference between a 53/39 crankset 28/11 cassette/ and 53/39 crankset 30/12cassette? Huge difference? Or nothing worth noting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hit 77km/h twice this year. Des Hanlon in Carlow and Charleville 2day this year.

On a flat straight? I doubt it.

This.
    You've kinda answered your own question as you sound like you prefer the super compact.

I don't know if I imagined this or not but I thought I used to climb a lot better on a 52/36, but changed to 53/39 this year as I was advised by a club mate racer of mine. Find it that bit harder this year and I'm a lot fitter than last year and lighter too.

• Advertisement

Charleville at one point for definate. I had a 12 on the back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What be the difference between a 53/39 crankset 28/11 cassette/ and 53/39 crankset 30/12cassette? Huge difference? Or nothing worth noting?

Downhill doesn't count as spinning out. There is no way that you spun out that gear on the flat. If you did then greatness awaits you at the olympics!

What sort of terrain do you usually race on? How many sets of wheels have you got for racing? I have two sets of wheels for racing and have a 25 tooth on the deep sections with a 27 on the other for climbimg. I also have a spare cassette with 29 on it for mega climbing. All the above are used with a 53/39 unless I'm in the Alps when I use a compact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I don't know if I imagined this or not but I thought I used to climb a lot better on a 52/36, but changed to 53/39 this year as I was advised by a club mate racer of mine. Find it that bit harder this year and I'm a lot fitter than last year and lighter too.

How do you define 'climb better?' Was it down to gearing? What climbs were you doing? Were you in the same physical condition? Why if you are fitter and lighter do you find climbing harder? Were you doing the same races? The same grade? Similar nutrition and hydration?
    Will a crankset determine success/failure in the typical irish road racing scene?
    How long is this piece of string?

I use 52x36 and like it.
    I use 11-28 for most open races that have some hills, 11-23 for Mondello/League races.
    I work on speed, strength, stamina, skills and eating sausages/drinking beer.

I have never EVER spun out 52x11. You must be as powerful as Andre Greipel if you did.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    How do you define 'climb better?' Was it down to gearing? What climbs were you doing? Were you in the same physical condition? Why if you are fitter and lighter do you find climbing harder? Were you doing the same races? The same grade? Similar nutrition and hydration?
    Will a crankset determine success/failure in the typical irish road racing scene?

I use 52x36 and like it.
    I use 11-28 for most open races that have some hills, 11-23 for Mondello/League races.

I have never EVER spun out 52x11. You must be as powerful as Andre Greipel if you did.

I don't have an 11 on the back like I said already. 12 but it spun slightly arighton a descent which isn't spinning out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

gearinches -

52/11 - 124.4
    53/11 - 126.8
    52/12 - 113.9
    53/12 - 116.2

Speed @ 100 rpm
    52x11 59.56
    53x11 60.69
    52x12 54.52
    53x12 55.65

I would get an 11 cassette (you will need one either way to get any benefit from the bigger gears in descents) and learn to spin 120 - 130 ish rpm. where did you hit 70+ in the Charleville btw. Just curious.

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »

I use 52x36 and like it.

That's what I'm saying. I used 52/36 before and it suited me. I changed to 53/39 for racing and I don't think it's the same. I never had an 11 on my rear cassette so no I didn't spun out an 11 or 12 either but I do find coming off an descent onto a flat and your speed is up then it's easy to spin out 12 but not on flat if your aren't coming down a descent.

lennymc wrote: »
    gearinches -

52/11 - 124.4
    53/11 - 126.8
    52/12 - 113.9
    53/12 - 116.2

Speed @ 100 rpm
    52x11 59.56
    53x11 60.69
    52x12 54.52
    53x12 55.65

I would get an 11 cassette (you will need one either way to get any benefit from the bigger gears in descents) and learn to spin 120 - 130 ish rpm. where did you hit 70+ in the Charleville btw. Just curious.
    coming down Kildorrey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

C2D perfectly fine with 53/39 11/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

inc21 wrote: »
    C2D perfectly fine with 53/39 11/25

Me too - rode 53/39 + 11/25 in 2013 and 2014. No prob with gears.
    Wud prefer to be 5kg lighter than have different gears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

This discussion is focusing on the 52/53 debate.

The 39/36 is a bigger decider for me. A lot of zone 2 work is done in the inside ring. I find the 36 a bit too low for non-hilly training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

For me the 'did you spin out 50x11?' point over-simplifies this decision. I rarely spun out 50x11, but yet I feel faster racing with 53/39 than 50/34. That's because I have a natural cadence I feel more comfortable producing power at. Yes, I should train and become more comfortable at much higher cadences (I've made good ground in spinning a high cadence up short hills, feel much fresher near the end of races as a result). But that takes time, and I just find on a slight downhill I can hit my target wattage almost without thinking in the 53 ring, whereas with a 50 I have to increase the cadence beyond what comes naturally and so I end up having to do this consciously. Fine when training, but when racing, I find it more comfortable to have 53 ring, but guess it depends somewhat on size and style of rider.

Same thing on my TT bike, only in cases where I've a tailwind did I struggle to maintain target power in 53x11, but seconds matter in those situations and so having the 55/42 chainring means at a cadence I am comfortable sustaining, I can easily generate my target power. Only got the 55T at the end of the season but definitely feel it saved me at least a few precious seconds in a TT. Plus, it looks badass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

it looks badass.

This is the best reason to get a 53 or bigger.

Advertisement