Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Recommendations please

• 07-02-2013 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Im Looking for a Laptop, i don't play games I just use it for Surfing, the odd download , dont need web cams or blue ray etc

like a fast one with good hard drive and memory

Was thinking of a Dell or a Samsung just wondering what people might think

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

price range ? there are lots of similar threads here - have you had a look through past threads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭faolteam

price range ? there are lots of similar threads here - have you had a look through past threads ?

400- 500

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056869997

when buying from saveonlaptops pay with CC and they will email you to ask them to phone them to confirm your shipping address

this is a grand laptop for under 400

stay away from celeron processors

Looks good

Just wondering what people think of Samsung Laptops

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056869997

when buying from saveonlaptops pay with CC and they will email you to ask them to phone them to confirm your shipping address

this is a grand laptop for under 400

stay away from celeron processors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

15.6" Acer, Core i5, 429 yoyos at laptopsdirect.

• Advertisement

SAMSUNG 15.6 INTEL 6GB 750 HDD LAPTOP
    Intel Pentium Dual Core
    B950 2.1ghz Processor
    6gb Ram
    750gb Hard Disk Drive
    Battery: Up To 7 Hours
    €419.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

No!

If you spend 400 yoyos or more, do not settle for anything less than a Core i3 processor. Never mind the RAM or HDD size, this can easily upgraded, with a rotten CPU (like the Pentium) you're stuck forever.

faolteam wrote: »
    SAMSUNG 15.6 INTEL 6GB 750 HDD LAPTOP
    Intel Pentium Dual Core
    B950 2.1ghz Processor
    6gb Ram
    750gb Hard Disk Drive
    Battery: Up To 7 Hours
    €419.95

hey

i might be wrong but that pentium cpu would be a bit behind the i3 cpu that i showed you ..you could check it out on a cpu benchmark site ......if you are just doing basic stuff, 6gb of ram would be overkill imo... i have an i5 cpu with 8gb of ram and when i am doing video encoding(the most i would push the system) ,i'm only using about a third, or less of the ram .. it is the cpu that holds me back ....

whatever you get, if you have time to spend on making some sofware tweaks like, uninstalling unwanted software (bloatware as it's called),switching off unwanted services, making the display settings less glitzy and more performance based, and turning off programs that begin at startup, then you will have a much better running system.....a lot of above are also usually related to stupid pop ups in the right hand corner asking you to do this and that

there are a lot of people giving advice on the web on how to do these things - and most of the time all it takes is a google search, a bit of reading and a few clicks of the mouse ...

have you a link for the samsung ? is it windows 8 or 7 ? is battery life important to you ?

Advertisement