Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem With Laptop

Options
  • 05-02-2013 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I wonder could someone help me with a problem with my laptop. It's a Toshiba and generally works quite well though just recently when I open it up fully the screen goes blank. If I close it back down a bit it works fine but now it's at a stage where I can only open it half way or else it goes blank. Would anyone have any idea of the problem please? Will it cost much to fix? Where would be the best place to get it fixed? Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Try connecting an external monitor, if that works it's probably the ribbon cable for the screen thats damaged, shouldn't be an expensive fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mysticalman

Thanks Tommy. I have an external monitor on it now as we speak and it works perfectly. Any idea of the best place to get it fixed?

well if you were in kilkenny...
    Any repair place should do it, ask about price before you commit.

Unfortunately not.....
    Good man Tommy, thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Try connecting an external monitor, if that works it's probably the ribbon cable for the screen thats damaged, shouldn't be an expensive fix.

Might it not just be loose? I've had that issue a few times with a Dell Inspiron, popped off the cover and pushed it back on.
    Worth a try first.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »

Might it not just be loose? I've had that issue a few times with a Dell Inspiron, popped off the cover and pushed it back on.
    Worth a try first.
    I can build a house,I can put a full heating system in, I can drive a tower crane and I have a pilots licence....but anything to do with computers and I'm lost. Is there much to popping the cover off....I don't want to do any damage !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

For most laptops, you'll find service manuals online and even video tutorials showing you how to take it apart for repairs/upgrades

He's right the ribbon is held in/on with a clip that can come unstuck and might just need a push down.
    Some laptops need the whole top sourinding the keyboard removed, some are two part and youll get away with removing the speaker part nearest the screen.
    It's a b1tch of a job because their are so many tiny screws and some are tucked away behind battery or HDD.
    Some idea of what your up against here; http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L305-L305D/remove-screen-replace-video-cable-1.htm
    Having said that, once you give your self some space and time and go slowly, it's not as hard as it's daunting.
    I'v done a few LCD replacements and time is the biggest part of it.

Thanks for all the advice....I'll give it a go. Cheers !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Thanks for all the advice....I'll give it a go. Cheers !!!!
    Sometimes it can be as easy as reseating the clip but also the cable can get damaged or kinked under the hinge.. bring it to a shop where you get a free assessment and quote.. if it's just reseating then about €30 at most.. if cable needs to be replaced then just add on cost of cable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Have a look for a youtube tutorial for your model, none of them are that difficult to get into in my experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hibkoah0q7Y

Advertisement