Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running Track

• 18-11-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey everybody

I do some track work once or twice a week as part of my training for other sports. Have been using UCD and Irishtown (both of which are off limits for various reasons). Im based in south Dublin. Its hard to believe we have such a dearth of running facilities. I've been in touch with the following:

Alsaa (€10 a pop) and its an extremely hard track,
    Tallaght - need to be a member
    Greystones - no lights after 8 unless u are in the running club
    Santry - too far for me and apparently its extremely busy

Are there any other tracks within 30 mins drive of Dublin that are open to the public? I joined crusaders so i could use the track so I don't really want to join another club if possible.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 johnnyfox24

The UCD track being let go to waste was a crime. Sadly there is a complete lack of running tracks. Apparently there are plans for a track in Marlay park - does anyone have information on that?

If you're out near Cabinteely, there is a 400m cinder track in Kilbogget park. The big sports field opposite sports centre in UCD is floodlit, so you could measure 400m for that - not ideal, but a lot of folk train there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Crusaders could rent Tallaght track for sessions now and again, a lot of clubs do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

The big sports field opposite sports centre in UCD is floodlit, so you could measure 400m for that - not ideal, but a lot of folk train there now.

If you look at the long footpath that runs from the church to the Clonskeagh gate you'll see that there are markers every 50 metres for 400 metres (measured by the local athletics coach!). It's dead straight but there is a slight gradient in parts. You can also do your reps on the grass alongside the path which is nice. Not ideal at this time of year but we use it each week in the summer and it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foreverblue

There is a new track gone up in Leixlip which I hear you may be able to get out on. Le Cheile Ac is the club. Might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

The UCD track being let go to waste was a crime. Sadly there is a complete lack of running tracks. Apparently there are plans for a track in Marlay park - does anyone have information on that?

If you're out near Cabinteely, there is a 400m cinder track in Kilbogget park. The big sports field opposite sports centre in UCD is floodlit, so you could measure 400m for that - not ideal, but a lot of folk train there now.
    http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=3642

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 totoafrica

Thats brilliant re Marlay Park. Might consider joining them and use UCD in the interim.

thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

I thought there was a problem with that track in MARLAY ? Are they putting it around that Astro or where is it due to go. Not sure where there is any space in Marlay these days !

PVincent wrote: »
    I thought there was a problem with that track in MARLAY ? Are they putting it around that Astro or where is it due to go. Not sure where there is any space in Marlay these days !
    I think its planned for the space just beyond the train track. There is a couple of fields not used now. There was once a grass track there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Donore Harriers have a 300m track in Chapelizod. Have never been there before so don't know if it's good, bad or indifferent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

gerard_65 wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it. It's now past Autumn and nothing has happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it. It's now past Autumn and nothing has happened!

I'd say it could be another few years before we see a track in Marlay. Look at how long its taking Irishtown to be resurfaced?

How come DSD are not building a track on the 15 acres of ground they bought last year? Why Marlay park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Parks/marlay/03_MarlayMasterplan.pdf

This was the Masterplan ...I dont see any room for a track in Marlay .

DSD are in the process of developing the house at the moment. Check out their website for info . I have some idea that someone told me that they were going to develop a trail run in the grounds . Not sure if they planned a track in the new location ??

Your right. No mention of a 400m track here, the latest doc.:
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Parks/marlay/04_MarlayMasterPlanReport_FINAL.pdf
    Chapter 4 only mentions a sprint track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

This may be handy for anyone looking for a running track:

http://jumping-the-gun.com/?page_id=881

Advertisement