Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urge to vomit at end of race

Options
  • 29-12-2013 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Ok so this is a bit of a strange one to me so I am hoping someone here can shed some light on this for me or maybe have some experience...

Lately I have been having issues at the tail end of races which makes me puke a mouth full of vomit or at least empty reach...This all started about 8 months ago when I was running a 10k, obviously I was pushing as you would normally in a 10k...as I got to the last .2 mile of the 10K I decided to push on and leave the group I was running with up til then..I was feeling relatively strong, legs were fine and breathing was heavy but I was fine hence I decided for a sprint finish...as the finish line came into sight and subsequently the people close to the start line my stomach felt very weak..as I got closer I had to stop for a sec in the ditch and empty reached over the side...I jogged across the line and was a bit shocked that it just happened.

Since then, I noticed in subsequent 5k's that I have a strong urge to puke BUT only at the end of the race...If I tell someone about this their response is that I was pushing too hard...but my problem is I am NOT pushing that hard!! I ran a 5k the other day where I wanted to push on at the last few hundred meters but I knew if I tried to push I would puke, even though my legs were strong and my breathing fine..Its pretty frustrating not being able to finish a race strong due to this...

The only thing I can think of is lactic acid around my stomach building up and/or an issue with something in my diet

In my most recent 5k, I didnt have a breakfast just an expresso and some pretzels an hour before so I dont think its related to diet but maybe it is...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That all sounds perfectly normal to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

:)
    I guess my issue is that I have to hold myself back or I will puke...This is annoying because I feel strong in the legs and breathing wise but I have to casually jog across the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

menoscemo wrote: »

Agree, if I am not about to throw my guts up after running a 5K/10K type race, I didn't run it fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

In the three marathon's I have raced I have thrown up within about 30 mins after each one. I come around after about an hour and hound down all food visible!

Not sure if it's normal either so you're not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Experienced this recently in a XC that I had a good result in. After a long run I would normally have a recovery drink, sleep/lie down for 45 mins and then eat. I couldn't do food straight away. Probably been a little lazy in the other races for this not to happen. I would only expect it to happen in a short race tbh. Red lining in a marathon is not something wise though I have wretched at latter stages due to gels but thats normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement

Got sick in one race due to eating wrong beforehand, but often feel nauseous. Not a great feeling but on the other hand I draw comfort from the fact that my body is protesting, so figure I must be giving it a proper test!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kevd2000

I had the same issue. I started making a big effort to drink more water during the day and the problem has eased. I think I was always dehydrated. I now only puke when I run too fast!

Unfortunately for me I get sick during the race... It annoys me mostly as I end up slowing to a crawl towards the finish line to avoid the embarrassment which I hate doing...

Will try more water and watch what I am eating next time round... Getting fitter will probably help too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Par for the course i'd say.

Never really inconveniences me. I could get sick at the end of the race but 30 seconds later start stuffing my face. Seems more a reflex than a felling of being unwell with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I don't think it's normal to be honest, especially if you say that you mot absolutely maxing out during the race. I've often felt queasy at the end of races but only when I'm really red-lining, usually in the last kilometre of a 5k or the final lap of a 1500m. It might be worth getting it checked out, you shouldn't be throwing up if you're not absolutely giving 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

When do you eat before the race? I have a three hour rule. Everyone is different, but racing on a full stomach would make most people feel sick. I agree with pconn, if youre not flat out but keep feeling sick, then maybe get it checked out. If all is ok then it will prob pass, if not then consider longer races, where holding back can be an advantage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I wouldn't call it normal, or there would be a lot more puke on the road at the finish lines for people to have to wade through. But it doesn't necessarily mean there is anything you are doing wrong.

I'll be going all out to cross the line, but will then collapse in a heap and not be able to move for a bit. I don't puke though, although I may on occasion somewhere in the race if I have the sugar levels a bit wrong and downed too much Lucozade before the start. Other people on going that 110% to get to the line will throw up. Just a different response to the same situation and if you can figure out a solution then great, if not then just learn to work with it and try to time the chundering until after you have crossed the line with your arms aloft for a great finish photo, then collapse over the side of a crowd barrier out of view with a successful run completed.

Thanks for the responses, I am going to watch what I eat a lot more closely for the next few as it may be due to liquids sloshing around or un-digested food or something...Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

My own personal experience with this is that it's nothing to do with food, it's all to do with exertion. I suffer badly from this problem and not just at the end of races, but during races too. I find it very frustrating also as it holds me back. When I'm really pushing myself (but not to my limit) during a 5k or 10k, I feel like getting sick. To be honest, lately in races I've actually let myself get a little bit sick into my glove or whatever and plod on (gross, sorry :o )
    I've experimented during the year with different eating strategies prior to races, from not eating at all, to eating a good amount at different time lengths before races and it happens no matter what. I did a 5k without eating anything earlier in the year and felt just as sick as i had after a bagel and banana 2 hours before a different race. It was dry retching that time as opposed to actual projectile vomiting:eek:
    It's a real nuisance but I'm not going to let it hold me back and I'm certainly not going to stop running shorter distance races. I just wish I could hold it in until the end of the race when it's kind of acceptable to puke your guts up:D
    Good luck. Hope you find some answers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this exact same thing happens to me.
    Same again today at my local park run. I always have to slow right down the last 400m or so as I start to feel like vomiting. And like the OP I don't feel tired or burnt out and I know I have the kick in me but I'm afraid to kick on as I will vomit before the finish if I do.
    This never happens in training runs either.
    Just wondered if the OP found a solution that worked for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

'Bring up an old thread' ugh

Advertisement