Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastercard

Options
  • 23-05-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I see MasterCard are looking for Dev's. Anyone know what they are like to work for? Good company?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

They've been looking for developers for ages.

Think they're based in Sandyford area?
    Which is apparently nasty for traffic and parking.
    That's the main reason I didn't respond to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

They've been looking for developers for ages.

That can be quite a red flag.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ChRoMe wrote: »
    That can be quite a red flag.....

To be fair, there's feck all good candidates out there.
    We had trouble getting semi-decent software developers, never mind anyone senior. Sandyford doesn't suit a lot of people, and they could be expanding their staff numbers.

So I wouldn't entirely be put off by that.

In fairness, if they were in a better location for me I'd consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sandyford is where developers go to die. the place is completely dreary and unless you live there it's a bitch to get to. if you do live there, there's **** all to do on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

sandyford is where developers go to die. the place is completely dreary and unless you live there it's a bitch to get to. if you do live there, there's **** all to do on the weekends.

If you live anywhere near M50 it is easy enough to get to. You are talking probably 30 - 50 mins commute which is normal / good for most jobs. Some people rent a flat in town and then work in town and have 5 mins commute so obviously 50 mins seem a lot. But in the grand scheme of things it is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If you live anywhere near M50 it is easy enough to get to. You are talking probably 30 - 50 mins commute which is normal / good for most jobs. Some people rent a flat in town and then work in town and have 5 mins commute so obviously 50 mins seem a lot. But in the grand scheme of things it is not.

50 mins commute IS a lot. I spent over ten years doing a one hour commute each way in Dublin (Sandyford for some of that time). Final straw was when the company I was with at the time moved offices and that would have added another 30 mins to my commute. No way was I having that. So I moved to Cork and now I have 15 mins each way (and I live in the worst part of Cork for traffic and work is on the opposite side of the city). That is an hour and a half a day that I didn't have before. Incredibly liberating.
    It is funny listening to people in Cork giving out about traffic when they are stuck somewhere for 5 mins longer than normal. I tell them move to Dublin for a week to see how good it actually is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Ludo wrote: »
    50 mins commute IS a lot. I spent over ten years doing a one hour commute each way in Dublin (Sandyford for some of that time). Final straw was when the company I was with at the time moved offices and that would have added another 30 mins to my commute. No way was I having that. So I moved to Cork and now I have 15 mins each way (and I live in the worst part of Cork for traffic and work is on the opposite side of the city). That is an hour and a half a day that I didn't have before. Incredibly liberating.
    It is funny listening to people in Cork giving out about traffic when they are stuck somewhere for 5 mins longer than normal. I tell them move to Dublin for a week to see how good it actually is here.

50 mins is not a lot for Dublin.

Anyone in the commuter belt is doing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I worked in Sandyford for 2 years and never had any problems with traffic. It is dreary though, with nowhere to go for lunch and there's no chance of drinks after work with colleagues as everyone drives

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you live on the luas Sandyford is a very handy spot to work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

50 mins is not a lot for Dublin.

Anyone in the commuter belt is doing more than that.

I live 5km from work and the bus takes that long! This is why I cycle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement