Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mackerel Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I would be putting them in a freezer.
    Eating them 2 or 3 months time, when they will not be a mackerel in sight.

Just a question about tides.
    Say in Cobh the tide comes in 8 in the morning, 8 at night.
    Would it be the same time say in Ballycotton.
    Do times change from time to time.

I am new to mack fishing.
    Fished in Cobh a few weekends no luck. Others no luck either.
    Thinking of going to Bally
    Thgis might help. There may be a few minutes difference in a short bit of coastline.
    http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0064

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Chavways wrote: »
    The fishing competition around Blackhead and Ballyreen in Clare was supposed to have been a disaster this week. Very few fish caught.Not even mackerel.

That trawler was near there last night, I was bodyboarding in Fanore and when.I was leaving I seen a trawler close to the shore.
    It wasn't an angling boat definitely a trawler...

Sad isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Local fishmonger told me that the big trawlers and factory ships are targetting and destroying the mackeral stocks last couple of years. It would be quite shocking if the mackeral migration was stopped but he reckons it is quite possible unless something is done. It seems they keep the big mackeral but pulp the rest for other products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Birroc wrote: »
    Local fishmonger told me that the big trawlers and factory ships are targetting and destroying the mackeral stocks last couple of years. It would be quite shocking if the mackeral migration was stopped but he reckons it is quite possible unless something is done. It seems they keep the big mackeral but pulp the rest for other products.
    nonse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Plenty of mackerel in North and west Clare was out 5 times over the last two weeks and got loads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 derm58

not much happening in Salthill last night. a few small mackerel and lots of (too) small pollock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Caught 7 in 5 minutes off Beaganish Island, Valentia. at 4 tonight.

That was enough for tea, I could have caught bucket loads, but that would have been wasteful,

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Was in Ballycotton last night. I counted over 40 fishing there.
    Most like myself catching nothing.
    I just see 3 in one bucket and 3 or 4 in another that is all.
    Very bad

Talking to a few locals, what is being caught, very small in size.
    It is just hit and miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Its very hit and miss all over the country this year. I was out on a charter from rathmullen in donegal last sat, we had loads. The skipper was saying for a week or 2 in july there wee very few being caught. Its all down to the cold summer, the jet stream only moved over us 2 weeks ago, normally that happens in the spring. For most of the summer our winds came from the north, which is why it was so cold and wet.

Ya agree with you there. Sligo coast very bad all summer. This is coupled with the red tide. Lots being caught recently on the boats but nothing from the shore. Really dissappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 timconny

Anybody catching anything around Slade or Hook Head at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Was at back of Spiddal pier for a few hours yesterday evening high tide at 8.30 pm very windy though caught nothing and only about 5 or 6 mackerel caught in total out of about 10 other fishermen around.

Anyone catching in Spiddal or Salthill yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

Was in Dunmore East ( flat rocks ) last Tuesday morning for tide turn 6.45-8.15. Two macks. Nobody else around. Elderly local man living beside rocks told me September is the new August for mackerel there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Northclare wrote: »
    That trawler was near there last night, I was bodyboarding in Fanore and when.I was leaving I seen a trawler close to the shore.
    It wasn't an angling boat definitely a trawler...

Sad isn't it

You bodyboard in Fanore aswell? Might see you down there. Its lonely out there being surrounded by loads of surfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I'm catching lots of small Mackeral from cliffs along the Cork coast with a few normal size mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Any macks been taking this year down tramore heading down there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Any macks been taking this year down tramore heading down there soon

I was in Dunmore East a few weeks ago and a local fisherman told me that the boats have had to go out much further to catch them. They reckon the runoff from the land has clouded the water close in so the macks can't see the spratts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

At Aughris Head (Sligo) yesterday evening. Great weather,high [4.0 M] tide and....... not a bite. This my third unsuccesfull mission in Sligo bay this season - next time I will be fishing from a boat to avoid anymore dissapointment. Does anyone know times/prices of boats going out of Mullough More harbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

wayoutwest wrote: »
    At Aughris Head (Sligo) yesterday evening. Great weather,high [4.0 M] tide and....... not a bite. This my third unsuccesfull mission in Sligo bay this season - next time I will be fishing from a boat to avoid anymore dissapointment. Does anyone know times/prices of boats going out of Mullough More harbour?

http://www.offshore.ie/fishing.htm

niall_b73

• Advertisement

Its looking real bad for the macks if anyone catches from shore update please :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

Was in Fanore yesterday eve, plenty fishing, but in 90 mins I only saw 1 lad reel in a few macks, about 5 on 2 lines of feathers.
    Plenty of water there.

On another note its a shame that a small minority I'm sure of anglers leave a mess behind them, plenty of feather packaging etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

patspost wrote: »
    Was in Fanore yesterday eve, plenty fishing, but in 90 mins I only saw 1 lad reel in a few macks, about 5 on 2 lines of feathers.
    Plenty of water there.

On another note its a shame that a small minority I'm sure of anglers leave a mess behind them, plenty of feather packaging etc.

Ya, Blackhead is a disgrace with all the rubbish there.There's portable BBQ's, drink cans and loads of feather packaging everywhere.Its pretty disgusting realy.I don't know why the council don't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Any Mackerel in Salthill yet? I was think about going some day soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Wouldn't mind some mackeral to stock my deadbait freezer. If anyone can help it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

patspost wrote: »
    Plenty of water there.

I was there last night for a couple of hours and got 4, worst nights fishing this year.

I'd like to renforce the point that pats post makes about the rubbish and the small minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

AstraOwner wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind some mackeral to stock my deadbait freezer. If anyone can help it would be great.

This might be of some help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

haybob wrote: »
    I was there last night for a couple of hours and got 4, worst nights fishing this year.

I'd like to renforce the point that pats post makes about the rubbish and the small minority

Is it gone that bad for macs there, I had the freezer full of them in may so have spent the summer chasing pollock since, I was going to go and try for a few pollock there last weekend but drove on, never before seen the place as busy!!

dmc17 wrote: »
    This might be of some help :D
    :)
    Unfortunately I'm a long way from the sea.

I know when fishing it's good it's very good. So maybe someone might be able to help me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

AstraOwner wrote: »
    :)
    Unfortunately I'm a long way from the sea.

I know when fishing it's good it's very good. So maybe someone might be able to help me out.

Do you mean bring you to the sea, or bring the sea to you ? icon5.png

mattser wrote: »
    Do you mean bring you to the sea, or bring the sea to you ? icon5.png
    The sea can stay where it is. I'm looking for a few mackeral.
    Somebody who gets a good haul might like to help out and even earn a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Caught 20+ maks and a couple of nice pollack in ballycotton Monday evening. Place was busy but everyone was hauling them in. Buddy also got a dozen big maks off the rocks in myrtleville last night so good fishing in cork at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Anybody catching anything east coast. anything???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Plenty caught off Skerries pier last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Anyone know why the macks are so small this year? got a few decent sized off galway docks but loads small which i threw back in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Slade on the Hook is fishing well for macks.

219978.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the macks are so small this year? got a few decent sized off galway docks but loads small which i threw back in.

what me and the oul lad reckon is that all the bigger ones are being caught in the nets up north by foreign boats before they even get down here and the smaller ones are making it through the nets.

Just a theory.

Talked to fishermen about the mackerel stocks. They are simply being overfished. The factory ships are grabbing the shoals. Most are mulched for other products (agricultural mainly) but the large ones are kept for consumers. The mackerel migration that we know today may soon be a thing of the past unless something is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

The reason there are few mackeral this year and that they are small is mainly because of the weather. The jet stream spent most of the summer over europe, not over ireland, which meant for most of the summer out prevailing wind came from the north. without the heat of the south westerly, there is less plankton in the water. Mackerel feed on plankton, so less plankton, less mackerel.

I agree with the above post. I spoke to a marine biologist about it recently and he said the same. The northern part of the atlantic coast fared worse this year and he said it was partly due to red tide but mainly due to the jet stream.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Galway K9 wrote: »

what me and the oul lad reckon is that all the bigger ones are being caught in the nets up north by foreign boats before they even get down here and the smaller ones are making it through the nets.

Just a theory.

Its a good theory

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭chickey

Youghal full of mackerel this evening, everyone pulling them in from quay, lot of them small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Got a few off the flat rocks in Dunmore East last night at high tide. Jet black feathers and red ones with luminous squid heads worked best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭realrebel

been getting loads of mackerel and seatrout in the last week inside cork harbour good fishing there on the bigger tides

Is it around where the boats are off loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EamonnX1

Has anyone caught mackerel this year (2012) from the shores in the Cork Harbor or East Cork, West Waterford regions? Visited some reliable marks (from past years) without a sign.

EamonnX1 wrote: »
    Has anyone caught mackerel this year (2012) from the shores in the Cork Harbor or East Cork, West Waterford regions? Visited some reliable marks (from past years) without a sign.

Lots of mackerel around in cork harbour in the last week or so I heard there were loads in youghal too eamonn
    I got at least 20 every night I've been out releasing about 90% of them great crack on light gear

Would sea trout take feathers, same as macks would

Would sea trout take feathers, same as macks would

I wouldn't think you would get many if any on feathers but small dexter wedges work for the trout and krills

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jorb

Try Mornington, been fishing there every year for 10 years, been a little quiet this year but then again i haven't fished it much, apart from sea trout fishing, Almost as many Macks as Clougher, less anglers, safer, quieter and you'll catch Pollack to about 2lb and possibly beyond. Great bass fishing from both sides.. Seriously underrated venue! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement