Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Python worth teaching myself this summer ?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just done my 2nd year in computers and i am basically wondering is it worth while to try and teach my self Python via a book ?

In college so Far i have done Java, PHP and AS and i wont to add another part of programming to have on my CV and what extra stuff will Python add to my chances of getting a job or am i better off staying with Java and try to make myself a better programer in Java ?

Like is there a cert i can do online in Python or is there one for Java that i can do to try and up skill myself then sit around doing notting during the summer ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's certainly worth learning. It's a very widely used language in lots of industries. Plenty of job opportunities in Ireland. Plus it's very similar to Ruby, so you'll be almost killing two birds with one stone.

Whether you need to learn it this summer or not is up you. You could get a job after college in one of the other languages you've been learning, and pick up Python in the evenings, or on the job if that's a possibility.

I'm not aware of what qualifications or certs you can get in Python, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

There is a cert for java, not sure if it's really worth while. But if you're looking to learn python, I'd recommend looking at the Django framework to compliment it, plenty of free resources out there to help you along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Python is a most learn in my book especially for web applications.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I would suggest going the other way and work on improving your Java or PHP, and the relevant peripheral technologies.

If you decide to go with Python you will spend a lot of time running over the same ground you have before, learning how to do print statements, if/else, loops etc.

If you stick with Java/PHP you can dive straight into looking at more advanced stuff like database connectivity, networking, threading, web services, design patterns etc. All of which will still be relevant if you do decide to go with Python in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Python is a great language to learn. There are some very nice aspects of the language.

This might not be relevant, but it is also a great language to have if you are looking for a good job. A lot of the better places to work look for Python as it is considered a more serious programming language to have for things like web application development.

The thing to remember with Python is that there is a certain way of using it (Python programmers call this Pythonic programming). A lot of new programmers from the more C based language can find themselves wondering what all the fuss is about when they just try and implement standard C style code in Python. A lot of the power of Python only comes after you learn some of the important tricks of how to programme Pythonically using it.

For example in C style languages you might to a Switch statement
    switch(myVar ) 
    {
        case 'A':
            myObj.doA();
        case 'B':
            myObj.doB();
     }

in python the Pythonic way to do this would be
    myfunctions = ['A': myObj.doA, 'B': myObj.doB]
    myfucntions[myVar]()

What you are doing here is defining a dictionary with methods as the elements and then simply calling the correct method based on what ever myVar is.

Likewise doing this in C
    for (int i=0; i++; i < 10) {
       myArray[i]++
    }

would be
    myArray = [i++ for i in myArray]

in Python.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Python has become a common language in many domains and is commonly used as a customisation tool for Java applications via Jython.

Definitely will appear in the "Would be an advantage to know" list for a lot of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

If you come out of college with the holy trinity then you are doing well
    • One OOP language - Java
    • One scripting language - Python
    • One functional language - Haskell??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

If you come out of college with the holy trinity then you are doing well
    • One OOP language - Java
    • One scripting language - Python
    • One functional language - Haskell??

One functional language - Erlang
    changed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Yes, learn Python.
    Learning Python will make you a better program.

The Python community is very smart, and the language is more nicely designed. The core data structures are very expressive, and will elevate the level of abstraction at which you program.

Definitely worth spending your time learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Got my book for teaching myself Python so far i wondering why where are not doing this in college and wasting time doing actionscript :confused:

So far it very easy and there is lot of no from java and PHP comes into this as well

I hope to have the 400 pages done by the end of the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I am learning python myself. I started 2 days ago. I learning it through cousera. What books are you guys using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I am learning python myself. I started 2 days ago. I learning it through cousera. What books are you guys using ?

Cant see the course on coursera. Can you post a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

robbiezero wrote: »
    Cant see the course on coursera. Can you post a link?

Here

Advertisement