Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheDoc wrote: »

Why are we bidding for Cesc Fabragas, now that Thiago is gone, why not before?
    The answer to this is pretty obvious I would have thought, Thiago wasn't a main target. Early on in the summer, we were linked with an interest in Fabragas, and that was discussed at length.

but the thing that is getting me is the fact that we waited until the day after Bayern confirmed the deal for Thiago to bid for Fabregas. why did we wait until now, why not last week or last month when our interest became clear. If we believe Denis Irwin, then we were interested in him 4-6 weeks ago....why did we wait so long to put in a bid?

the timing could be coincidental but its really strange. i dont care what anybody says, but waiting and delaying is not good in the transfer market for many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

but the thing that is getting me is the fact that we waited until the day after Bayern confirmed the deal for Thiago to bid for Fabregas. why did we wait until now, why not last week or last month when our interest became clear. If we believe Denis Irwin, then we were interested in him 4-6 weeks ago....why did we wait so long to put in a bid?

the timing could be coincidental but its really strange. i dont care what anybody says, but waiting and delaying is not good in the transfer market for many reasons.

some rumours say the bid was put in a few days ago, not yesterday. Other rumours say we have been talking to Fabregas for a number of weeks (from prior to Irwin's comments). Some twitter comments that Wilsheres agent was hinting at the United/Fabregas stuff last week.

some rumours say the bid was put in a few days ago, not yesterday. Other rumours say we have been talking to Fabregas for a number of weeks (from prior to Irwin's comments). Some twitter comments that Wilsheres agent was hinting at the United/Fabregas stuff last week.

are we allowed to talk to players, without confirming with club first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

According the the guardian its Fabregas and Fellaini, IMO Fellaini is a done deal, especially if they are accurate in that his buy out clause expires in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

We talk to the agent

• Advertisement

According the the guardian its Fabregas and Fellaini, IMO Fellaini is a done deal, especially if they are accurate in that his buy out clause expires in August.

cant see us getting Fellani personally, UNLESS other deals dont come through.

according to the Telegraph today, he is a back up option or in otherwords, 3rd choice for CM on our list.

of course, its all down to who you believe, maybe all of them are just spoofers as people here seem to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just would not be getting my hopes up.

Too many failures now at this stage.

I would be freaking over the moon with Cesc though.

It's too good to be true that it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On plus side it does look obvious we will get CM (at least 1)

Just matter if it's a big name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Two great signings that would make a lot of people happy and would solve our problems in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The next announcement on this deal will be fascinating. I'm expecting it to be a big fat No from Barca. But will it spell out that Cesc is not for sale at any price.

Hope something further happens today. Its exciting even though you know its the most improbable transfer ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Arsenal agree to forego their buy back thing so Rooney goes to Arsenal...narr...I just can't make sense of it.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Arsenal agree to forego their buy back thing so Rooney goes to Arsenal...narr...I just can't make sense of it.

I fookin wish. I do think Rooney fits in somewhere with this. All will be revealed, slowly and painfully over the next 6 weeks.

Nope.

But everyone does it and it happens all the time.

I would be shocked if Rooney and his people hadn't spoken to PSG/Monaco/Chelsea etc, for example.

I just think it is insane to think these massive moves would be made for players without knowing if the player in question was interested in the move before making a multi million bid.

Or Arsenal decide they would prefer to stick with Wilshere than spend 25million on Fabregas.

Just because Arsenal have a buy back on him, doesn't mean they will want to exercise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Or Arsenal decide they would prefer to stick with Wilshere than spend 25million on Fabregas.

Just because Arsenal have a buy back on him, doesn't mean they will want to exercise it.

Did you read what I said :pac:

So when are we selling Macheda? Could we give him away?

i dont think Rooney will be going anywhere, let alone Arsenal.

Did you read what I said :pac:

Yes - I'm merely saying Arsenal having to be persuaded to forego bidding for Fabregas by selling them Rooney isn't the only way they won't bid for Fabregas - they could simply decide their money is better spent elsewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The one thing I am absolutely overjoyed about so far in this transfer window is that Chelsea and City can no longer wave their oil-back cheque books to get the very best players. Monaco and PSG are blowing them completely out of the water in that regard. Last year, you'd put your money on the likes of Cavani and Falcao ending up in England. Now, they cannot compete.

Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Do Arsenal need Fabregas though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

bullvine wrote: »
    Do Arsenal need Fabregas though?

not really, but if Barca accept a bid from united I'd be pretty outraged if we didn't try to get him back. Losing two of our icons to you lot in successive seasons would be hugely damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Here is that Guardian article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/15/manchester-united-cesc-fabregas-marouane-fellaini

Interesting what it says about Moyes interest in Thiago
    Moyes has turned his attention to the 26-year-old after Thiago Alcântara joined Bayern Munich from Barcelona for £21.6m. Yet it is thought that Moyes could have signed Thiago over the course of the past weeks, with the delay in his finally leaving for Bayern being down to United's manager not being completely convinced by the 22-year-old. Although it is understood Thiago was keen on joining United, there were suggestions from some at the club that he might struggle on occasion to cope with the physicality of the Premier League.

and this on Januzaj after the friendly the other night
    "If he continues to play like that, he'll get more chances."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

cant see us getting Fellani personally, UNLESS other deals dont come through.

according to the Telegraph today, he is a back up option or in otherwords, 3rd choice for CM on our list.

of course, its all down to who you believe, maybe all of them are just spoofers as people here seem to think.

Whats your opinion on Fellaini. I remember you raving about how he destroyed us in the 4-4 draw when you were at the match if i'm right. I think people looked at his stint as a battering ram and think he can't do a job deeper even though that's his best role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nope.

But everyone does it and it happens all the time.

That clubs cant talk to the players but can talk to their agents

Its ridiculous

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Whats your opinion on Fellaini. I remember you raving about how he destroyed us in the 4-4 draw when you were at the match if i'm right. I think people looked at his stint as a battering ram and think he can't do a job deeper even though that's his best role.

my views on Fellani are mixed to be honest.

when he plays against us, he destroys us normally. however, this is not a tactic that United employ i.e. - aerial challenge.

however, United lack balls...we have nobody who can intimidate others, nobody to tackle/kick/break somebody up.

he can give us a real physical presense in midfield, something we urgently need. my fear is that his role is too advanced as in, he has been playing as a support striker and looked impressive there...which i dont think is what we need.

however, he can probably do a job for us in midfield, especially in a midfield 3. his defensive work is over looked some times.

would i like to see him signed? yes i would, but only as a 2nd signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I thought this was a great read

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/united-serious-fabregas-154908317.html
    Manchester United sent ripples throughout world football on Monday when several reports claimed that they'd launched a £26 million bid to sign Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.
    It's an exciting idea, and as our blogger Jan Molby points out today he's exactly the sort of free-scoring midfield playmaker that the Red Devils have been missing for years.

But if the Premier League champions are serious about signing Fabregas from Barca, they have a funny way of showing it.
    Seeing news of a relatively low bid for a first-team player at a slightly more successful club would ordinarily spark a bidding war, unless that player wants to leave, which he apparently does not.

Below is a breakdown of what has been done, what has been said, and the subsequent implications for a player who is widely regarded as one of the finest in his position.

The only thing that can be definitively concluded about Manchester United’s interest in Fabregas is that United want everyone to think they are interested in the Spaniard.
    Why the club want us to think this, however, is weighted with uncertainty.
    Let’s start with the facts - or rather the perceived facts:

1. Manchester United have made a £26m (30m euro) offer for Fabregas
    This, in itself, is not entirely accurate, or rather unproven. What we do know is that several journalists close to United and Barcelona were briefed, at around about the same time on Monday (1:30pm), that United had made the offer.

The journalists include the likes of the Telegraph’s Mark Ogden – who famously broke Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement decision – and Guillem Balague, who is usually a reliable source. It appears that there was a briefing of some sort to selected journalists, with the express purpose of turning this interest into a newsmaker. More on that later.

There has been nothing official from either club confirming or denying an offer, and it is unlikely that this offer was a formal (i.e. written) request for Fabregas’s transfer.

What is more likely is that United have informally sounded Barcelona out, using the figure (which is low for a player like Fabregas) as a starting point for negotiations. Or, as intimated earlier, to make everyone think United are in for Fabregas.

Remember – United do not have a track record of publicly announcing or leaking interest in a player, unless the negotiations are at an advanced stage. This is, if we are to believe reports, the very start of negotiations.

2. That Arsenal have any say in whether Fabregas joins United
    Many Arsenal fans would be furious if their former hero moves to United, even if via Barcelona.

As a result, some of these fans have been circulating the theory that Arsenal could somehow veto this move because they have first option on Fabregas as a result of a clause in his contract.

This clause simply means that Arsenal have a set fee agreed for Barca – understood to be £25m – that would activate a transfer if Fabregas agreed to the move. It just means Arsenal get a lower price than anyone else.
    This is vital – Arsenal cannot very well re-sign Cesc against his will, and they cannot block him from joining United. If he wants to join United, he can join United.

There have also been – false – claims that Arsenal are entitled to 50% of any transfer fee. No club in their right minds would agree to such a clause if they had spent more than £5m for a player. There is probably a sell-on fee, but that would likely be linked to any profit Barca generate on Fabregas’s sale.
    The reality of Fabregas’s link to his former club is that the first option dictates the minimum spend any other club would have to make to buy him. Which makes United’s £26m offer a flat minimum.

3. That Barcelona want to sell Fabregas
    Barcelona would rather not sell Fabregas. Why on earth would they? It took them the best part of four years to buy him, and – despite flitting between midfield and forward positions, dependent on personnel – he is their second-most effective attacker: Fabregas was responsible for 22 Liga goals last season, hitting doubles both for goals scored and assisted.

Obviously the signing of Neymar means he is less likely to operate as a second striker, but the impending sale of Thiago Alcantra to Bayern Munich frees up space in midfield, space which will be further vacated by the fading legs of Xavi.

Fabregas was always earmarked as the long-term successor to Xavi, and it is to his credit that he has been able to operate effectively in other positions while the Spain maestro’s career winds down slowly and naturally.
    He has surely increased in value since joining for – yup, you guessed it – around 30 million euros two years ago. Why on earth would Barca take a loss on a player who has, certainly in recent months, improved since joining the club?

4. That Fabregas wants to leave Barcelona
    The theory that the 26-year-old wants to cut his losses with the boyhood club he moved heaven and earth to join would hold some credibility if he had been an abject failure, if he was a perennial benchwarmer at the Camp Nou.
    As with many perceived 'facts', the hard evidence points to the contrary. Fabregas started 30 Liga games last season – more than any other Barcelona player. More than Xavi. More than Sergio Busquets. More than Andres Iniesta – more than Lionel Messi. Clearly he is first choice.

The theory that he is on the fringes of the Barcelona team appears to have been cooked up by parties wishing to unsettle Fabregas, using information based on his debut season, where he was often used as an impact substitute.
    That first season was still fairly successful – remember that Fabregas had seen his Arsenal career somewhat disrupted by injury, so surely there could have been no better way for Barca to manage him than to use him carefully in his first season?

And since then Fabregas has gone on to be near indispensable to the club. It is Thiago that fell out of favour, and thus Thiago will be sold.

United are not a bigger draw than Barcelona - while both are clearly enormous clubs, Barca have been more successful in recent years, can pay the same if not more in wages, play the kind of football suited to Fabregas’s game, are Fabregas’s boyhood club, and are based in Spain, whose national team Fabregas plays for. In a World Cup year.

Earlier this summer Fabregas went on record to insist he would stay at Barcelona, calling reports to the contrary "absurd". Of course players make and contradict such statements all the time, but there is no clear reason why Cesc would do this.

Would he earn more at United? Probably not. Would he play more at United? Given he is more likely to pick up injuries in England, probably not. Would he win more trophies at United? With Ferguson gone, and David Moyes essentially unproven, that likelihood is by no means certain.
    Would a move to United benefit him in football terms? Almost certainly not – we know whose style dominates the world game, and it is not England’s or United's.

5. That United want to sign Fabregas because they missed out on Thiago
    The only thing we know about Thiago is that Bayern have made an offer, and that he wants to join them. There was no formal offer from Manchester United, and Manchester United never publicly mentioned the player until Moyes denied he was ever on their radar.

This kind of pours cold water of the theory that Thiago was number one signing – if you recall, United being linked with both players emerged at around the same time early this summer. In fact, the Fabregas reports preceded Thiago’s link. We can probably assume that Moyes was not lying about Thiago – either that, or this is a huge and potentially costly face-saving exercise. We can also assume that, unlike Thiago, there is a firmer interest in Fabregas, or at least in making a proposed move public.

After all that, we can hesitantly conclude the following:
    United want us to know that they are interested in Fabregas, who is probably not for sale at the price offered, and who probably does not want to leave
    The fee they want us to know has been offered is relatively low

United may be using that fee as a starting point – a risky business that could start a bidding war, as Barcelona would surely want a serious return on their investment, and at less than £30m, other clubs would be interested and able
    United may be using Fabregas as a decoy for another transfer

United may be using Fabregas to deflect fan unhappiness at their failure to land Thiago, among other reported targets

It is very difficult to say exactly what United are planning. This is, after all, the first time David Moyes has had access to a serious transfer budget, and the first time in a generation that United have entered the market without Ferguson.

But we can say that these reports should not be taken at face value – so much about it is unusual, unqualified and, well, un-United that it reeks of a rat.
    And we cannot discount the outside possibility that a group of journalists working for rival agencies colluded to make this whole thing up.
    You have to use personal judgement to cautiously predict what would happen next.

I would be more inclined to think United have something else – possibly something bigger – up their sleeve. Either that or this is a clumsy, risky game they are playing.
    Using the information we have access to, you too can make your own minds up - because nobody, not even the closest United source, can know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

What the hell are we up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

my views on Fellani are mixed to be honest.

when he plays against us, he destroys us normally. however, this is not a tactic that United employ i.e. - aerial challenge.

however, United lack balls...we have nobody who can intimidate others, nobody to tackle/kick/break somebody up.

he can give us a real physical presense in midfield, something we urgently need. my fear is that his role is too advanced as in, he has been playing as a support striker and looked impressive there...which i dont think is what we need.

however, he can probably do a job for us in midfield, especially in a midfield 3. his defensive work is over looked some times.

would i like to see him signed? yes i would, but only as a 2nd signing.

I would say he's been just as impressive in the deeper, box to box role, as he has been in the more advanced position. I think some people look at the goals and assists he's had as a support striker and conclude that it's his best position but it's not imo. He'd offer us something in midfield which we haven't had in quite some time, and would be a midfield enforcer who would stop us getting bullied in there by the likes of Toure, Dembele etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

PaddyCar wrote: »
    What the hell are we up to?

Trying to sign Fabregas I'd suggest. I don't buy the conspiracy theories on this.

How could we have "something bigger" up our sleeves than signing one of the best CMs in the world, when we have a gaping hole in our CM?

Also, everything they said is completely invalidated when they said that Balague is a "reliable source".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

It's a serious game of bluff.

The Cesc bid. Very interesting, and Rooney I feel has something to do with it. Could Man Utd be pushing Arsenal into re-signing Cesc, to keep them off Rooney? Are they telling Arsenal they can sign Rooney if they leave their option to re-sign Cesc? Is it a decoy bid to keep us happy? Is it a decoy bid that speed up Everton's minds on a Fellaini bid we made, but they are stalling on?

Many options and variants, but one thing is clear. Something is going on :)

Really looking forward to hearing what Barca say. Disappointed Rosell didn't mention it last night, but does it usually take this long to comment on a bid for a player from a club?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement