Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning Post #1041

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Of course. So did the last window though and the one before that.

I actually don't think Rodgers has any thoughts about dropping Gerrard at all this season and maybe not next. I reckon Lucas will the 1st one dropped if anyone comes in.

Probably...Allen's injury was unfortunate timing as it would have shown a glimpse of what the plan was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Why all the criticism of Gerrard? He was by no means our worst player. Although he did give the ball away a few times he did try to get the ball back too. He put in a shift worthy of a captain. He got some decent blocks and tackles in. He even scored. Yeah it was a penalty but he still tucked it away. He's played 650 times for Liverpool, maybe his critics should cut him some slack!!

I think he did alright today but the way we setup just seemed so strange. You've a guy who still has loads of talent on the ball deploying him as DM while playing Lucas as one of the two in a 1-2. It just doesn't make much sense.

The other thing is that giving the ball away in that position is really dangerous. Your giving the ball away in a transitional area so the team is setup to start attacking which leaves you incredibly open to the counter when the ball is turned over. Gerrard has always been a high risk passer which just isn't a good trait in a DM.

Not Gerrard's fault in the slightest but it seemed Henderson wilted with him back in the team today. Where was the driving midfield runner, playing first time passes and shouting at others on the pitch that we had seen over the last few weeks. He seemed to revert into his shell completely today.

A better team would have destroyed us with that midfield setup.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A quick look at the today's bench and Moses and Alberto are the guys that Gerrard might be dropped for. No chance of that happening.

I think that's the reason. There's nothing better in the squad. Same can be said for Lucas recently tbf.

Henderson for me has earned his strting spot and has been our most consistant starter.

Fair point alright, but I think when Allen is fit he should be straight in ahead of Gerrard. But I think we all know that won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fair point alright, but I think when Allen is fit he should be straight in ahead of Gerrard. But I think we all know that won't happen.

Allen ahead of Lucas maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What does everyone think about Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

opr wrote: »
    I think he did alright today but they way we setup just seemed so strange. You've a guy who still has loads of talent on the ball deploying him as DM while playing Lucas as one of the two in a 1-2. It just doesn't make much sense.

The other thing is that giving the ball away in that position is really dangerous. Your giving the ball away in a transitional area so the team is setup to start attacking which leaves you incredibly open to the counter when the ball is turned over. Gerrard has always been a high risk passer which just isn't a good trait in a DM.

Opr

Hard to disagree with this.

Not really sure what BR's thinking is.

Maybe trying it out for a few games and see how it goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I must say I was pretty depressed at half time when we went it at 2-2.

Rodgers must have given a great team talk when the team came out late for the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I don't think you're even clear where you stand...maybe myself and a few other posters should reiterate our stances a few times to clear it up for you.

I'm clear where I stand,I agree with some of the (fair) criticisms Gerrard gets, I don't think he is undroppable by any stretch, I realise he is not the Stevie of old, I just think some people are going way way ott like yourself and some of the jibes at him are unnecessary considering he's such a legend of the club.

While I have you here, I'm sure you're equally as chuffed as most of us that Sturridge was back playing today yeah? I haven't noticed a comment from you, apologies if I missed it! Tell me how much you loved Sturridge' display, go on, do it!

Allen ahead of Lucas maybe

I would say that's what could happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

With the options we have in midfield I'd prefer Allen and Henderson and one of Gerrard or Lucas sitting. But as there is usually at least one injury we really need a midfielder to come in to push one of Henderson or Allen onto the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So, I think it's clear as day where you stand on the Gerrard debate yeah? Any chance that you could leave it at that and not regurgitate it every week? That's all I ask

So when a topic comes up we should refer people to our previous posts when making a point? If peoples opinions annoy you so badly don't read them, theres a blocking feature. If the thread becomes repetitive to the point of annoying you, then don't read it. Simple really.

Is there a need to be so condescending?

You've been Hodged

Some great ones on twitter now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If we hadn't conceded any goals this season, we'd be top of the league right now.

monkey9 wrote: »
    What does everyone think about Gerrard?

I have held my tongue for long enough but...

As for Sturridge....f*ck off Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

F&cking delighted with that win. Villa at home followed by Everton.
    Can we win all our games in Jan?

Hopefully united will drop points away to Chelsea next week and Swansea can takes points off spurs at the liberty. Nice away trip for Everton to west brom too. Compared to this week where we had, on paper, the tougher game of spurs, Everton and united. Next weekend could be a big week if we can put Villa away.

• Advertisement

also was fantastic to have Sturridge back. I always feel he is gonna do something when he gets on the ball in a similar way to suarez. Excellent assist ands goal. And could have had a second goal if Suarez Had of seen him/passed to him.

I know coutinho needs to get a few goals but I still think he has the potential to be a great player for us. Nice to have this selection headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

gafferino wrote: »
    also was fantastic to have Sturridge back. I always feel he is gonna do something when he gets on the ball in a similar way to suarez. Excellent assist ands goal. And could have had a second goal if Suarez Had of seen him/passed to him.

I know coutinho needs to get a few goals but I still think he has the potential to be a great player for us. Nice to have this selection headache.
    The injury might not have been the worst thing in the world for him. He looked psyched and full of running when he came off the bench.

NukaCola wrote: »
    So when a topic comes up we should refer people to our previous posts when making a point? If peoples opinions annoy you so badly don't read them, theres a blocking feature. If the thread becomes repetitive to the point of annoying you, then don't read it. Simple really.

Is there a need to be so condescending?

I think it's cute you and your buddy exchange thanks on each others posts! Great togetherness there.

Is there a need to be so patronising, I am aware of the block function.

I've made my point regards Gerrard, move along Sir.

BdyyCXpIIAA81q0.png

I tend to agree with whatawaster that it feels very much like Rodgers is probably thinking of deploying Gerrard in that holding role with two mobile midfielders in front of him as the future plan. Gerrard himself said after the game he sees himself playing that role more often. The man whose name should not be spoken seems to think that it will also be his role for England in the coming years.

Rodgers may also think that the future of our midfield will be Gerrard in that role with mobile midfielders like Henderson/Allen ahead of him. I just don't understand why he was in such a rush to try it today without the players available. Watching Lucas brought back similar memories of Sahin trying to play CAM last season, looking so awkward and completely out of his element. Funny to think Lucas actually came to us as a CAM!

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think Lucas could be dropped when Allen comes back

Welcome back OPR.

Nuri on the verge of a return also.....maybe Leiva will raise his head!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I watched the match on BEIN Sports today. They interviewed stevie after the match and he said that he will be playing this position a lot more from today on. They have been trying it out in training for a few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think it's cute you and your buddy exchange thanks on each others posts! Great togetherness there.

Lol :pac: classic stuff....
    Is there a need to be so patronising, I am aware of the block function.

Do you know how to use it?
    I've made my point regards Gerrard, move along Sir.

But completely missed my point. Not surprising.

Last season: Suarez 23 goals in 33 apps.

This season(so far) 22 goals in 16 apps.

Double the scoring rate and last season he was incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

he is just a class player
    thats all there is too it
    an animal

Ok I'll further my point, this is what I'm fed up, this is not really debating Gerrards merits is it? And that's just in the last 3 months!

Surprised at people questioning Gerrard.....remember that time he pushed into van persie, what a captain.
    Van Persie has been back to the level he was at during most of his time at Arsenal since February though...except for a few patches here and there.

Gerrard in is laughable....getting the Giggs vote.
    Sterling needs to lose the instinctive reaction of looking for Gerrard when he gets the ball.
    Gerrard is a f*cking jobber.
    Gonna be fast paced stuff with Gerrard V Barry in midfield.
    Gerrard is doing his best to make sure Flannagan looks good.
    A chance straight out of Gerrard bottling a challenge.
    There's one thing Gerrard taught Shelvey....corner taking.
    Aspas took the wrong option...but Gerrard had no right to blame him for that.

The lads telling us how great Gerrard is were quick out to blocks last week following his assist....I hope they are so punctual this week.

I don't think it"s a coincide that the period where Lucas got most praise was one where Gerrard was in and out of the team with injury...he was playing alongside Meireles and Adam, players not on Gerrard's level but they knew how to play CM and Lucas could concentrate on his game.

Personally I'd replace Gerrard first...and Henderson then before Lucas. People can praise his energy and his running around hustling players but he does little else, can't tackle, offers little creativity, and the less said about his shooting the better.

Yep Gerrard needs to be managed correctly. The ideal time to do it IMO was when Kenny came back...Gerrard was injured and we cope well without him when for years people were writing us off as a one man team. Unfortunately in the years since then he seems to have been built up again as some undroppable figure on the back of what have been to me, mediocre and half decent seasons.

He still has desire for the big games against United, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Everton but in the others he just seems half arsed.

Great free....we should have just let Gerrard kick it at the wall.

Take Gerrard off and play with 10.

I'd be one of the critics of Gerrard's role as captain. All well and good sticking it to Van Persie in a match against United but when we need someone to rally the team against the likes of Stoke he often disappears.

In saying that we don't really have any alternatives who would rally the team

Seems like I watched the wrong game...Gerrard/Sturridge did nothing of note while Sahko staked a claim to be France's CF ahead of Giroud ...and footballs forever number 2 delivered a big performance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Huge game against Everton coming up soon in terms of top 4. Three points in that will be massive. Been impressed with Everton under Martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

he is just a class player
    thats all there is too it
    an animal

in more ways than one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Re coutinho and finishing.

The lad obviously needs to improve but I'd be confident he will. He is only 21and has a lot to learn. IMO he reminds me a bit of Suarez in his first season getting into good positions and missing the target or hitting the goalie a lot.
    He'll come good....whether it comes this season I'm not sure but he'll come good

• Advertisement

The lad obviously needs to improve but I'd be confident he will. He is only 21and has a lot to learn. IMO he reminds me a bit of Suarez in his first season getting into good positions and missing the target or hitting the goalie a lot.
    He'll come good....whether it comes this season I'm not sure but he'll come good

I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting into those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

cant believe johnsons demise hasnt been discussed more
    he is playing at half pace, he was trotting back to defend at some stages.
    i dont mind johnson, i think he is quite a decent right back, he has just turned awful lately..he is playing dreadful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Lucas started out his career in Brazil as a box to box type midfielder and had a few goals in his game

he modified his game under Benitez to become a holding midfielder with an emphasis on defensive play/covering

could be bad news for him that BR may have asked him to step aside as a DM for Stevie and to try the box to box stuff again

Just to weigh in a little on the Coutinho/Sterling debate now Sturridge is back. Certainly I think if you're going on form Sterling fully deserves the spot. I do think though that while his killer passes/shooting have been abysmal this year, he still nits midfield with attack quite well and the idea of a front three wit Coutinho in theory makes more sense than Sterling. I'm intrigued by the idea of playing the front three of Sterling/Suarez/Sturridge with Coutinho behind them and two sitting midfielders although I can't see it being something Rodgers will try anytime soon. All in the all I think it would be extremely harsh to not at least give Sterling the shot given the respective rise/fall in form of both players. Either way nice problems to have and which ever one gets the chop will give us a proper impact sub at the 60 minutes mark similar to having the injection that Sturridge brought today.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

look at the chances created stat

Bdz0OFeCEAAIC4k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm clear where I stand,I agree with some of the (fair) criticisms Gerrard gets, I don't think he is undroppable by any stretch, I realise he is not the Stevie of old, I just think some people are going way way ott like yourself and some of the jibes at him are unnecessary considering he's such a legend of the club.

While I have you here, I'm sure you're equally as chuffed as most of us that Sturridge was back playing today yeah? I haven't noticed a comment from you, apologies if I missed it! Tell me how much you loved Sturridge' display, go on, do it!

In fairness only a couple of posters at most called Sturridge right.

I thought he'd prove to be a decent signing, 10-15 goals a season type, he has been an excellent signing especially considering a good few thought he was over priced!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I thought his shooting was a lot better today than in recent games, none of his shots were wild today, just over or was saved. Love how he is always looking for a forward pass.

I just have no words for him. It's pure joy to watch him play for us. Add to that scoring record with Sturridge and we have one hell of a pairing. Did someone say earlier he has a goal a game for us? Luis making a mockery of that stat ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I think he did alright today but the way we setup just seemed so strange. You've a guy who still has loads of talent on the ball deploying him as DM while playing Lucas as one of the two in a 1-2. It just doesn't make much sense.

Not Gerrard's fault in the slightest but it seemed Henderson wilted with him back in the team today. Where was the driving midfield runner, playing first time passes and shouting at others on the pitch that we had seen over the last few weeks. He seemed to revert into his shell completely today.

A better team would have destroyed us with that midfield setup.

Opr

On Gerrard being the 1 in a 1-2, looking at the first half hour i thought Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson rotated in that position. I was too freaked out after to keep an eye on it while peeping out from behind the couch but i thought in that period they totally confused the Stoke midfield.

On Cissokho, i thought he did well today. Stoke targeted his side all day and he often had two players to keep an eye on, delaying well till support arrived. I feel he is improving and hopefully the goal will help in that regard.

This team is playing mental football and i for one intend to enjoy it. Someone compared us to Newcastle in the Keegan era. True only our attack is better.

We seen to believe no matter what the opposition score we will score more. Entertainment is now our middle name.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think the reason Lucas was deployed ahead of Gerrard today was so that himself and Henderson could press high up the pitch. It makes sense as Lucas has a lot more energy to his game these days (of the two). Whether or not it worked is a different debate, I'm just assuming that this was the reason they were deployed this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just to weigh in a little on the Coutinho/Sterling debate now Sturridge is back. Certainly I think if you're going on form Sterling fully deserves the spot. I do think though that while his killer passes/shooting have been abysmal this year, he still nits midfield with attack quite well and the idea of a front three wit Coutinho in theory makes more sense than Sterling. I'm intrigued by the idea of playing the front three of Sterling/Suarez/Sturridge with Coutinho behind them and two sitting midfielders although I can't see it being something Rodgers will try anytime soon. All in the all I think it would be extremely harsh to not at least give Sterling the shot given the respective rise/fall in form of both players. Either way nice problems to have and which ever one gets the chop will give us a proper impact sub at the 60 minutes mark similar to having the injection that Sturridge brought today.

Opr

I'd be happy enough playing the 4 of them against Villa, but the worry would be we've a soft enough under belly as it is, and I think Rodgers would drop Henderson if it came to it. Coutinho is game for the size of him, but we'd miss Henderson in that role and we'd be depending on Gerrard and Lucas to shore things up.

When I look at the squad and the options we have up front, Aspas and Alberto as well, we are down to the bare bones at the back despite a good few options there, it makes the lack of a CM signing in the last year all the more galling. We really are limited in what we can do there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ok I'll further my point, this is what I'm fed up, this is not really debating Gerrards merits is it? And that's just in the last 3 months!

The lads telling us how great Gerrard is were quick out to blocks last week following his assist....I hope they are so punctual this week.

I don't think it"s a coincide that the period where Lucas got most praise was one where Gerrard was in and out of the team with injury...he was playing alongside Meireles and Adam, players not on Gerrard's level but they knew how to play CM and Lucas could concentrate on his game.

Personally I'd replace Gerrard first...and Henderson then before Lucas. People can praise his energy and his running around hustling players but he does little else, can't tackle, offers little creativity, and the less said about his shooting the better.

Yep Gerrard needs to be managed correctly. The ideal time to do it IMO was when Kenny came back...Gerrard was injured and we cope well without him when for years people were writing us off as a one man team. Unfortunately in the years since then he seems to have been built up again as some undroppable figure on the back of what have been to me, mediocre and half decent seasons.

He still has desire for the big games against United, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Everton but in the others he just seems half arsed.

Great free....we should have just let Gerrard kick it at the wall.

Take Gerrard off and play with 10.

I'd be one of the critics of Gerrard's role as captain. All well and good sticking it to Van Persie in a match against United but when we need someone to rally the team against the likes of Stoke he often disappears.

In saying that we don't really have any alternatives who would rally the team

Seems like I watched the wrong game...Gerrard/Sturridge did nothing of note while Sahko staked a claim to be France's CF ahead of Giroud ...and footballs forever number 2 delivered a big performance.

Please tell me that opinion was fashionable 3months ago??? The last thing I want is to be some Nuri-esque hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/01/espn-announces-new-film-series-30-30-soccer-stories-surrounding-2014-fifa-world-cup-espn/

Hillsborough, Directed by Daniel Gordon
    25 years ago, on April 15, 1989, the worst disaster in British football history occurred in an overcrowded stadium in Sheffield, England, 150 miles north of London. 3,000 fans flocked through the turnstiles to head to the area reserved for standing, despite a capacity of less than half of that. The result was a “human crush” that killed 96 people and injured 766. Initially the police blamed fans for the disaster, but a long investigation revealed that was not the truth. Prior to the disaster at Hillsborough, British football was known for the grime of its stadiums, hooligan fans and inadequate facilities, but great change came after the Hillsborough disaster. What emerged is now known as the most rich and powerful soccer league in the world, the English Premier League.

Feature Length ESPN Documentary. Should interest a lot here.

52d2f63e82b86.png

52d2f63d4fc59.png

These are the best ones I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

MD1990 wrote: »
    look at the chances created stat

Bdz0OFeCEAAIC4k.jpg

Even more impressive when you add in none are penalties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nearly at 10k.