Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSC in Sustainable Resource Management: Policy and Practice

Options
  • 04-09-2012 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has done this masters and what did they do afterwards? Would you recommend doing it? Any comments or info about the course would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 086111

Hey!
    Just bumping up this thread as I'm thinking of applying and was wondering was there any more information from graduates or current students of the course..!
    How was the actual work load in it?
    have many of the graduates got work in areas related to it in Ireland or have they gone abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭dmullins3

Not sure if I recommend this course. I finished it in August 2013 and gradated in January. Out of 13 in the class we are all still unemployed. nobody has gotten anything related to the course yet. One mature student is working as an assistant with two of the lecturers in Limerick.

The course is good because it covers such a wide variety of areas but there is little or no work in this sector. I've been applying in the UK since January and I've heard little or nothing back. The course covers a lot of areas but nothing in enough detail - in my opinion, and that's why its so difficult too get hired. We've covered loads of different areas but don't no any of them really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I can't comment as I ended up doing a different course in UCD part-time, while working full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 086111

thanks for the replies..
    very disappointing to hear that mullins, would you say the course is just too vague on everything and not centred on perhaps the science aspect or the policy aspect?
    Also are most of the rest of the graduates thinking of emigrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BraodsConvo

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any new info on this course Sustainable Resource Management: Policy and Practice? Has the employment opportunities increased in the last years with the improvement in the economy. Would be interested to hear what dmullins3 has to say in regards to the course now or any body else who has completed it recently.

Thinking of applying for this course but put off with the negative feedback posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭dmullins3

I have a job that is somewhat related to the course. I heard there are only 4 people doing it this year. Don't let my comments determine whether or not you do the course. If you're interested in the field then go for it. The course covers a load of areas so you'll have the basics in a large amount of areas in the environmental sector. And it's important to remember that once you have a job in this field - no matter how closely or distantly related it is to this masters - you're on the job ladder and it's a stepping stone towards what you want to do in the environmental sector.

I got my job as I could prove to my now boss that I wanted to work in this field, having a masters was further proof of my interest. My job isn't directly related to the course but I'm enjoying it and I couldn't have done it without the master's so you can look it 2 different ways but either way it has led to a positive experience for me. I can't say fairer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BraodsConvo

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Yes I will take your info on board, moving away from the idea of the course at the moment though.

As I am a mature student myself, I came back to do the final year of my BA, so the lack of jobs would put me off regardless of my interest in the area.

Thanks for all info, will take it on board

Advertisement