Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server recommendation?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, I need some advice on what route to go.

I need a server but im unsure shall I go down the custom route or a prebuilt Dell PowerEdge T110 II?

I will be using the server for virtualization. So it will be installed with ESXI and have windows server 2008, Centos and xbmc. Of course they wont be run all together at the same time. I will mostly be using Centos.

I also require 2 hard drives. Id be happy with 500-600gb. Raid one.

My budget is 600 euro.

Any recommendations please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Without knowing what you're hoping to do on those OS's it's impossible to recommend anything to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nesf wrote: »
    Without knowing what you're hoping to do on those OS's it's impossible to recommend anything to be honest.

Windows server 2008, will only be used for testing Lync's server etc
    Centos is just centos and nothing more
    XBMC will be for personal use of watching video's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It just comes down to how much memory and how many cores you think you need. The other requirements will be standard or easy (e.g. whatever cheap onboard RAID the motherboard has, as a decent RAID card would bump up the price by a nice bit). I don't know what you'd need for Lync testing, CentOS will run on almost any dual core happy out, so will XBMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

For this type of setup you would not need to spend the extra cash on a proper server. Building your own would be a much better idea. Being that its only 3 servers it might be worth using an relatively small ssd for the 3 operating systems and a spinning drive or two for data?
    You wouldn't need the extra expense that goes with ecc ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

deceit wrote: »
    For this type of setup you would not need to spend the extra cash on a proper server. Building your own would be a much better idea. Being that its only 3 servers it might be worth using an relatively small ssd for the 3 operating systems and a spinning drive or two for data?
    You wouldn't need the extra expense that goes with ecc ram.

Thats a good idea. It should turn out cheaper too

Maybe get a Mini ATX case.

Is there anything that I need to keep an eye on or is it basically your run of the mill pc build?

• Advertisement
Advertisement