Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend Car Sound System

Options
  • 20-02-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I want to replace the speakers in my VW MK5 Golf. I already have a new head unit but the speakers in the back are gone. I want to get a top of the range sound system so I'm just wondering what people would suggest? Do I need an amp as well? Which brand is the best and any recommendations on where I can get it done? My budget is 500 euro. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Are you sure your car has 4 speakers fitted to it. If your original head unit was Beta model then this is only a 2 speaker unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Think those golfs have factory 3 way components in the front, not sure about rear.. You wont get much for 500 lad. Decent headunit could cost that alone. What headunit did you buy out of interest?

Decent speaker brands would be focal, dls, morel, hertz, cdt audio. These brands topline component systems can cost a few grand. Entry systems from from a couple of hundred.

Can't go wrong with a jl audio subwoofer. W0 series can be got already boxed for around €200. Their W7 is a monster.

You will need an amp, plenty of options here, I've got a jl audio 900/5 powering my entire system. Class d full range amp that is just fantastic for lots of reasons. Costs around 1k though.

For your €500 I'd be lookin to ebay for a boxed sub, decent set of components for the fronts, maybe second hand 3 channel amp to power them. If you want rear speakers you can run them off the headunit or get a 5 channel amp to power the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

Actually I'm not sure

Its a 08 Mk5 GTI. Surely it would have 4 speakers?

I bought this head unit

http://www.pixmania.ie/in-car-video/kenwood-ddx4023bt-multimedia-car-radio/21258886-a.html

Decent enough and does the job

Is it really necessary to get a subwoofer and an amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Depends on what you want. If you want good sound then absolutely yes. Your headunit will put out about 10w x 4 rms. Not much point buying decent speakers if you don't give them the power they need.

Have you installed that kenwood yet, If not you'll need to run an ignition live because that golf is canbus and no acc key position.

• Advertisement

This is all very technical!

Yeah the head unit is installed. If I made my budget a grand then what would you recommend?

Are there any decent places in Dublin that will do this for me?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

This is all very technical!

Yeah the head unit is installed. If I made my budget a grand then what would you recommend?

Are there any decent places in Dublin that will do this for me?

I.C.E. Ranelagh

Safesounds Drumcondra

Scansounds Phibsboro

A quick google search for ' car audio Dublin' will bring up lots of other places. Probably best to visit or ring a few places for a chat about what you want to do, how much it will cost etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

^^ Beat me to it.
    I was going to suggest BMStuff

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I also recommend BMWstuff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement