Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using real business in a work of fiction ?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Is there anything to stop me using real businesses in a work of fiction that the characters visit ?

E.G. Restaurants, Hotels etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

No, as long as nothing you say could be construed as libel. If it is, then you are in big trouble.

Otherwise, your charcter can wear Levi jeans with Jimmy Choo shoesk, drink coffee in Starbucks, eat burgers in McDonalds, drive a Ford Focus and buy diamonds in Weirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks Eileen. You couldn't answer my question about the nom de plume could you ? (since you seem to know this stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

An old business teacher at school pointed out to us that you could always know if something bad was going to happen during a flight-scene in a film by checking whether the plane had a real airline's logo or not: if it's a made-up one, that plane is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Kinski wrote: »
    An old business teacher at school pointed out to us that you could always know if something bad was going to happen during a flight-scene in a film by checking whether the plane had a real airline's logo or not: if it's a made-up one, that plane is in trouble.

That's why I never fly Oceanic!

What was the question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I think OP used a pen name to ask his nom de plume question....

EileenG wrote: »
    What was the question?

How do you establish a copyright for a nom de plume ?

OU812 wrote: »
    How do you establish a copyright for a nom de plume ?

Copyright belongs to the person who wrote the story, not the nom de plume. Why would you want to establish copyright for a person who did not exist?

However it is simple and acceptable to write under a pen name. Most publishers have no problem with this, and the erotica publishers often ask if you want to use a pen name and what level of privacy you require.

You don't want your royalty cheques being made out to your pen name, do you?

No, but I don't want my real name connected with it

OU812 wrote: »
    No, but I don't want my real name connected with it

Different thing altogether. Copyright should be in your name, all the cheques and legal documents in your name. This has nothign to do with the name on the cover of the book.

Your mother never needs to know you are writing sexy stuff. Wish mine didn't....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Your mother never needs to know you are writing sexy stuff. Wish mine didn't....

It's your fault for being so good at what you do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

No matter what you do your mother will find out. It is in the job description of the Irish Mammy to keep tabs on you at all times.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

echo beach wrote: »
    No matter what you do your mother will find out. It is in the job description of the Irish Mammy to keep tabs on you at all times.:)

You'd think. But I smoked for a year when I was 16/17 and my mother never found out until I told her a few years back. She'd definitely find out if I was a published smut writer though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You'd think. But I smoked for a year when I was 16/17 and my mother never found out until I told her a few years back. She'd definitely find out if I was a published smut writer though. :pac:

To which you reply, "So, Mam, what were you doing browsing in the smut section?" End of.

The Mammy doesn't bother me (would most probably be encouraging), but I've got something in the children's genre on the go at the same time & obviously there's conflict there.

I'd actually like to do them both under different pen names if possible.

The copyright I mean is in the book itself (first couple of pages). Is it possible to assign that to the NDP & then still own it/pick up the cheque (hopefully)?

I've seen some authors establish companies to hide their real identity, but it seems a bit pointless. How many people actually read the little copyright details? Usually only people in the trade. Not the Mammies and the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I believe it's okay to use real business but avoid having your characters work there is what I've been told. Perhaps fictional hotel names would be a good idea though, if your writing 'smut'... they would not appreciate it.:P

It's not so hard to make up restaurant/hotel names. You can use brand names as far as I know but song lyrics are a big no no.

Advertisement