Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and baby

Options
  • 15-07-2011 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    We are expecting our first baby in the house in the next 2 months. I have two dogs already, one staffie and a jrt. The jrt is extremely docile and independent but the staffie is extremely attached to me and gets very protective (not aggresive) and curious when children are in the house. I usually put him in the kitchen or hall if we have kids around. I am worried about his jealousy tbh, its never been an issue before as he has had all the attention but with our new arrival i'm pretty nervous. As you can imagine i would like to slowly introduce them but am fearful !!

Any advice on how to do so would be much appreciated ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Start training your dog NOW, use a doll or something to help... probably should have started this earlier to get the dog used to the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

January wrote: »
    Start training your dog NOW, use a doll or something to help... probably should have started this earlier to get the dog used to the idea.

Yes i probably should have but i doubt its too late at this stage. I'd imagine the dog is going to get pretty confused or irritated when he hears a baby crying. Would it be possible to have him muzzled when he's around the baby or am i being too extreme ?

Yes i probably should have but i doubt its too late at this stage. I'd imagine the dog is going to get pretty confused or irritated when he hears a baby crying. Would it be possible to have him muzzled when he's around the baby or am i being too extreme ?

You're being too extreme. Teach the dog to be patient with the baby, but never leave yourself in a situation where the dog would be alone with the baby. If you were holding the baby for example, do you reckon the dog would get jealous and try to attack the baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I haven't had to introduce a baby into a house with dogs, but know a good few people that have.

When you get the pram wheel it around the dog a lot, so that he is used to it, I know its supposed to be unlucky to have it in the house before the baby is born, but it would be good for the dog to get used to it completely.

When the baby is born, put a hat, blanket or something on or touching the baby when he/she is in the hospital so that the objects smells of the him/her. Bring that home then and let the dog smell it, so that he gets used to the smell and doesn't think of the baby as a 'foreign object' when he/she comes home from hospital. (sorry for the he/she's, don't like to call a baby it).

Maybe over the top, but if you have serious concerns about the dog, then maybe record baby crying noises and have them playing at different times in the house. I've also heard it recommended that you and your partner get up and go into the kitchen etc at odd times during the night, so that the dog accepts that as normal before you start doing night time feeds with the baby.

Best of luck - its great to read someone wanting to work with their dog and new baby rather than just chuck the dog out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have a CD of all different noises designed to get dogs used to noises like thunder, babies crying etc. I won it as part of a doggie hamper in a raffle and you are more than welcome to it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, the dogs mean too much to me to even contemplate giving them away !! Your advice is really appreciated and i will do my level best to impliment the above. The staffie has never actually went for another person but does get quite upset and aggitated when a child (never an adult) enters the house, only because he has never had the oppurtunity to be get used to them !

You're being too extreme. Teach the dog to be patient with the baby, but never leave yourself in a situation where the dog would be alone with the baby. If you were holding the baby for example, do you reckon the dog would get jealous and try to attack the baby?

I don't think he would try and attack tbh but it would'nt be worth the risk

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I have a CD of all different noises designed to get dogs used to noises like thunder, babies crying etc. I won it as part of a doggie hamper in a raffle and you are more than welcome to it.

Thats very nice of you and i may just take you up on that offer :)

I don't think he would try and attack tbh but it would'nt be worth the risk

I think you could make the dog upset by muzzling it when the baby is around when previously it was never muzzled...

I think you could make the dog upset by muzzling it when the baby is around when previously it was never muzzled...

He has been muzzled but only on walks, but i think you may be correct. I dont want to confuse him too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thats very nice of you and i may just take you up on that offer :)
    I think definitely take it. Its a great idea, think of it like an "immunity program". It'd be a great way of getting him used to a baby crying and wont think of it as unusual (hopefully) and get stressed about it. Great idea about the buggy too. When your baby does arrive id bring both dog and baby in pram out for a walk together. No better bonding time for a dog than on his daily walk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If you have a friend with a baby or young child ask could you walk with them and the pram (or even just borrow the pram), teach the dog to walk with the pram, use treats and praise, start now.
    I would suggest getting baby gates, and maybe crate training the dogs, that way they have a safe and secure place to go. Try giving a stuffed Kong or chew treat in the crate so its a good place to go.
    Walk near play parks etc, maybe try one of those crying dolls, reward the dogs for ignoring it. (i know its not same as a real baby, but it may help.)
    Tillygirls CD sounds great too.
    It can be done, just takes time and patience, oh and a tried dog is a happy dog, so anyone offers to help (and you trust them) ask them to walk the dogs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is there a park with a playground nearby? i've always walked my guy past the playground so he got used to the sights and sounds of the kids. Don't feel bad if people think he'll eat their kids I get the same with my retriever!

tk123 wrote: »
    Is there a park with a playground nearby? i've always walked my guy past the playground so he got used to the sights and sounds of the kids. Don't feel bad if people think he'll eat their kids I get the same with my retriever!

Its not that he minds the noise of kids so much, its the fact that he gets quite jealous when they approach me. He is very protective. I understand the whole logic of walking him past playgrounds etc but the noise really is'nt the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Here's my advise for what it's worth. My baby is 17 months now and I brought her into a house with 6 dogs!

First things I'd do is change the dynamics that are creating the protectivness. If your dog is minding you then likely he thinks you belong to him and it's his job to mind you. This you need to change by implimenting the Nothing In Life for Free training, ie he gets nothing nice without doing something for it, even if it's as simple as a sit. This will get him used to looking to you for direction rather than making decisions about things himself and also spruce up his basic obedience. So he doesn't get a treat or dinner without doing something for it, doesn't get on sofa or beds without being invited, doesnt' get to shove through doors ahead of you, doesn't get to demand attention off you. Start bringing things to being solely on your terms.

Do work on basic obedience, especially the 'leave it' and 'stay' commands. Make sure he has a bed he's comfortable with and make sure he'll stay in it when you tell him too. You'll have a lot of visitors and it could very well happen that he decides to protect the baby from the visitors, he needs to know that you can protect the baby and it's not his job.

Get baby gates in now and let him get used to being behind them, you can start with a few minutes and reward and let him out, gradually increase the time he's in a seperate room until you know he'll be comfortable seperated for a while if you need him to be.

Do bring home an article of clothing, let him have a quick sniff but then teach him to stay at least 6 - 10 ft away from the smell. Dogs don't need to be right beside a new baby, a mother dog doesn't allow other dogs anywhere near her pups and demands huge space from other dogs in the vacinity, demand the same for your baby. I promise your dog won't be offended, in fact it'll be completely natural for him. Demanding space makes it clear to your dog that it's your baby and you'll demand respect and protect it so he doesn't need to. As the baby gets older you can gradually reduce the space you demand, my lot didn't get anywhere near my baby until she was nearly 6 months old.

Keep him as tired as possible when you bring the baby home, a tired dog is far less likely to create trouble and far easier to train. When people offer to do something to help you out then hand them a lead and a poo bag!!! Honestly it'll make all the difference. Do train your dogs to walk nicely without pulling now, and walking with a buggy if possible, you simply won't have the energy after the baby is home so if that's already done you can just grab leads when you have to pound the pavement with the buggy (if your baby is anything like mine was anyway!!)

Sorry for the long post!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Excellent post by toomanydogs!

Congrats OP.

If I can just ad the idea of crate training. It would help your dogs feel safe a secure and when the baby starts crawling it would provide a nice break for the dogs and for you to be able to have baby on the ground without worrying.

Advertisement