Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 day old puppy dying, help please

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

My bitch gave birth to 6 pups 12 days ago. All was going well puppies were healthy and suckling and there were no problems.
    At the weekend the mum had diarrhea and then the puppies started having really loose stools. On monday 1 pup took ill, it wasnt suckling, constantly crying, going away from other puppies, so i brought all 6 pups plus mum to the vet. He told me that this pup was dehydrated and had a low temp and the mum had a high temp so he gave mum and pup an antibiotic and told me to come back the day after. Later that day the pup took a turn for the worse, he wouldnt stop crying and wouldnt move and another pup was crying along with this one and seemed to have the same symptoms as the first pup that took ill. I brought both pups to the vet and on the way the first one died. The vet said he died from dehydration and its brother was badly dehydrated and needed some glucose. I was feeding it glucose and got some newborn puppy formula but unfortunately it was too far gone and found it dead the next day.

When i was told about the dehydration I looked at the other pups and found another one that was slightly smaller than the other 3. This pup started doing the things that the 2 dead pups were doing, constantly crying and not feeding.
    The vet gave me amoxicillin to give all pups morning and evening. This pup is just barely alive. The other 3 pups are 2 times bigger than this sick one. Hes so small and not feeding, ive been giving him some salt and sugar mixed in water that has been boiled. Ive been feeding him the puppy formula but hes still not getting better. He moves about the box but with alot of effort. Its heartbreaking to watch, i know hes going to die because hes doing the exact same as the other 2 pups, does anyone have any tips on how to get a bit more life in him. I have to feed him with the syringe because he cant suck the tit on the bottle. When i feed him most of it comes back out his mouth but some of it must be getting into him because hes still alive.
    Please help, i just dont know whether i should let him die or try and keep him alive even though its making him suffer, i feel so helpless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP please ring your vet and get their advice. If the vet thinks the pup won't make it then best thing is to get him pts so he doesn't suffer anymore.

Horrible situation, I don't envy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Ah god help you! I've been there with foster pups, one litter of 5 pups had only 1 survive, it's heart breaking. Mine had what the vet called 'fading puppy syndrome', where the mother can give an infection to the pups when they're being born and it's very hard to pull them back. I spent a week syringe feeding them glucose solutions every 2 hours through day and night, it was hard work, and they died anyway but I don't think I could have done anything else and not wondered afterwards if I had done all I could. Just keep doing your best and know it's not your fault

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

yeh thats what ive been saying to my partner. At least if i know i did everything i could to keep him alive i wont feel as guilty when he dies. Its the fact that hes moving around and he seems to want to nurse because when i put the warm water bottle in beside him he climbs on top and nudges with his nose but when i put him on his mums tit he just doesnt do anything.
    The vet wont be able to do anything more, hes given them antibiotics and given me glucose for him.
    I just feel like the vet doesnt have a clue what to do with new born puppies. I know thats not a fair statement because its so hard to determine what exactly is making a new born puppy ill but when i brought them down 3 times he just sends me off with glucose and tells me to come back tomorrow to tell him if hes still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Yunnie my god this is so tough you are going through. But with things like this no matter how had it is nature had to take its course... Im sure your vet would have told you all ready what to do if there was anything that could be done knowing that the other 2 died. You are doing you best.. just keep him warm and do what your doing...

Thinking about you...*hugs* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Take them to a different vet and have a Parvo/Corona test done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

should all pups stop feeding off the mother ??? keep up the good work op;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Unfortunately this can be pretty normal with a litter of pups, once they start to go they rarely recover, no matter what you do.

Worms can cause this to happen sometimes, was the bitch well wormed? Might be an idea to ask you're vet about worming the remaining healthy pups, two weeks would be the earliest for this but only with the vets advice.

good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

hi OP , sounds like puppy fading syndrome to me :o , same thing happened to me last year 8 puppies died one by one over 4 days , had them at the vet on day one when all seemed well , I just wanted to have them and mum checked over to make sure everyone was ok , according to the vet mum and pups were healthy , but sadly they died one by one over the next few days , it was so stressful to watch and try to help them , unfortunately it seems mum has an infection that is harmless to her but kills the pups :confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm so sorry to read this, it's really heartwrenching; it must be so awful for you.
    It sounds like you re doing a really good job under impossible conditions. Keep trying. I fed my pup by syringe last year every 2 hours and it nearly killed me but she eventually lived despite vets warnings to prepare for the worst. At least if things don't go well you will know that you did your absolute best and the little dog knew that it was loved in it's little life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

coould you buy one of those little bottles to just feed them baby formula, rub their gums with syrup also, it helped me alot, or also syringe in some baby formula, or lamb formula in a weaker version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

goat2 wrote: »
    coould you buy one of those little bottles to just feed them baby formula, rub their gums with syrup also, it helped me alot, or also syringe in some baby formula, or lamb formula in a weaker version

The puppy milk formula she has is actually better for them than what you're suggesting as it's formulated for pups.
    Unfortunately treating neonate puppies is quite difficult and from what you've said, I'd guess the prognosis is not good- does sound similar to fading puppy syndrome. There are lab tests you can do to determine this although you'll have to consult with you vet about them.
    Also, if you're not happy with your current vet, do get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I occasionally breed and I find the drops below excellent when you have a puppy that is not thriving or a puppy who is born too weak to suck. These drops give them a much needed boost.

They are called Nutri drops

http://www.bovidr.com/pets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

Thanks guys for the advice. I dont feel as desperate and helpless today as I did yesterday.
    Hes got a bit more life in him today and is sucking my hand and fingers when im holding him to feed him. Hes so desperate to get fed he cant get the milk down him fast enough.
    Theres such a big change in him from yesterday I have every part of my body crossed while typing this coz i dont want to jinx it :o

Im taking it really slow with him, still giving him sugar and salt water along with the formula. Ive put him on his mums tit and he is eager to suckle, but still doesnt have the energy to get right in there and find it so i have to put him on it.
    The other 3 pups have their eyes wide open and the sick ones is still closed. Just shows how weak he really is.

The nutri drops looks like it is the thing he needs to get that extra bit of energy, can I get them from the vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hi you can get them here

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~product_id=667?gclid=COCV9KSrgaoCFYpA4QodHBbkyA

I'm not sure if a vet stocks them or not. I got mine in the Uk at Crufts. I do believe they do them for chickens etc so make sure its for dogs.

They can even be used on adult dogs, bitches in whelp, cats

They saved one of our pups who was too weak to suckle after a C/S. He is now a 10 year old veteran who was a very successful show dog in his day winning several titles.

They are of course no substitute for Veterinary care but are very useful in a situation where a puppy or adult needs a helping hand or a quick pick me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I agree with Knine. Nutri drops are fantastic. We always have them available if we are due a litter as they can be helpful for mom if she gets tired.
    And as been suggested feeding every 2 hours or so will help.
    Sometimes babies just are no meant to survive, no matter what you do. All you can do is your best to keep him going. Most of the time there is a struggling one, one that is constantly pushed off the teat. top ups with puppy milk should help up his weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

how are the pups and mother today??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 moonchild77

Gosh, my heart goes out to you

Try giving the puppy Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy (Its in a yellow bottle)

You can get this in most chemists and all healthfood stores

If you would like to talk to an expert on the bach flower remedies then here is a link to a list of qualified bach flower remedy practitioners (there are none practicing here in Ireland but you could ring one in England)

http://www.bachcentre.com/found/an_list.php

This free downloadable book may be of use to you too

http://ebookbrowse.com/bach-flower-essences-for-pets-doc-d45588012

Keep Strong

Your doing the best you can so well done

Advertisement