Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying the ring

• 27-03-2015 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Would appreciate some advice.

Im clueless about all this business. Where do i buy a engagement ring,? How dO i figure out what size? What if she doesnt like it? Shes loaded im not. How much should i spend?

On a related note. Does everyone know that the one they marry is the one from day1. Because we have plenty of ups and downs where we cant stand each other...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You could ask her first. Then go together to buy the ring.
    As for knowing. We did but the question is do you want to wake up beside this person for the next 40-50/years.
    Good luck in your decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

What I did was ask then we bought it together. She knew what type she wanted. I would recommend doing some research on diamonds cut clarity etc so you know what you are buying.

Re budget I decided what I could afford and went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

I second the advice here, a couple of guys I know bought a promise ring (not too expensive but something to present) and then went together to buy the actual engagement ring

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi
    Would appreciate some advice.

On a related note. Does everyone know that the one they marry is the one from day1. Because we have plenty of ups and downs where we cant stand each other...

Thanks

In regards to is she the one:

As already said, do you want her to be the person you wake up each morning with for the rest of your life.

If you try to imagine the rest of your life (just the ordinary everyday stuff) do you want her in your day to day life, sharing your good and bad times with you in possibly 40 or 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Op

Ask her first with a promise ring and then ho together to buy one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Why not just ask her and then choose the ring together? Make an occasion out of it. It's your proposal and there is no right or wrong way to go about it.

Not from day 1, no. I've got to ask though, are you having doubts? In general how stable is your relationship? Everyone has their ups and downs of course but if your relationship isn't mostly stable then maybe you shouldn't be rushing into marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Do not buy a "promise ring" aka a proposal / token ring. It's pointless and a waste of money.

Do not buy the ring yourself.

Propose first and then go shopping for the ring together. Congrats by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

I think perhaps you need to address your second question first, as in, are you sure this is the right person for you. Some people know they've met "The One" straight away, for others it is a gradual realisation. Every relationship is unique. If you are having doubts, don't rush into anything.

As for the ring, tradition says you should spend about a month's salary but in this day and age, couples normally decide the budget between themselves and often choose the ring together. Best of luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ask her OP

I've heard many a story of ladies returning the ring to the shop to pick one out that

A) fits
    B) something else that looks and feels better
    C) Us men have terrible taste.....

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ladygirl

I would go with the idea of the promise ring

This does not have to be in any way expensive. I know a guy who proposed with a butterfly ring and then went with his fiance for the engagement ring..

Unless your 100% sure what ring she wants - don't buy it.
    Everyone has different tastes and what suits one girls hand might not suit the next..

However I wouldn't propose without a promise ring as I couldnt imagine a guy getting down on one knee with no type of ring - you could get a cute silver one in argos for about €15.

Dont worry about her being loaded and your not..
    best of luck
    xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

mapaca wrote: »
    If you are having doubts, don't rush into anything.

Yea-I think the ring is the least of things here (Ive my own peeve about people spending 1000s on a diamond that is essentially worthless...but will keep stum on that one).

If you are having doubts already, listen to them.

Edit: Im just telling the truth. Youve prompted me to start a thread on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bobbyj946

ladygirl wrote: »
    Unless your 100% sure what ring she wants - don't buy it.
    Everyone has different tastes and what suits one girls hand might not suit the next..

Fully agreed.

I (a guy) got engaged last week. My fiancée wanted a type of ring which i never would have guessed. Unless she pretty much describes the exact ring i would think a promise ring is the way to go. Then go in together looking at rings.

Don't worry about the ring size all jeawlers will resize included in the price.

Price should be dependant on what you can afford and like. Forgot what others spend.

Plenty of shops around Grafton Street, just head in and say what your after, they'll show you everything.

You should know yourself if she's perfect, don't rush it, it takes a few years to get to know someone. If there any niggely thoughts, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

The jewellers around Grafton St are expensive - you pay a premium for their high rents. There are lots of threads, if you google, about good places to shop and a lot of those are North of the Liffey. Weirs and Appleby's etc will give you a lovely shopping experience, but your money will go further elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

try the antique rings as well. Bigger stones, but quality of cut might not be as good as the modern cuts and certainly will not be as good as the new H Samuel flower cut. However, carat for carat, the antique wins out (by a mile!)

Advertisement