Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option to maintain a fake tan?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've been wanting to tan for a while, tanning beds are out of the equation, anyone I know who's constantly done tanning beds always totally destroys their skin. I don't want to have to maintain it every single day, so normal fake tan isn't an option. But I know there are gradual tanners, how well do we work? Another option would be a spray tan, I wouldn't mind getting weekly or bi-weekly spray tans. What are the best options? I know a spray tan works well and gives me what I'm looking for, but would it be fine to get one weekly? I'm not looking to be dark, just have a nice tan, but not one that's very subtle either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I'm confused why spray tan is an option but fake tan isn't?

To maintain a nice tan I think your best bet is a dark fake tan once a week and then gradual tanner to maintain it throughout the week. Cocoa brown is as great affordable option and really nice formula and results, for both fake and gradual tan.
    I don't get spray tans so can't help on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'm confused why spray tan is an option but fake tan isn't?

To maintain a nice tan I think your best bet is a dark fake tan once a week and then gradual tanner to maintain it throughout the week. Cocoa brown is as great affordable option and really nice formula and results, for both fake and gradual tan.
    I don't get spray tans so can't help on that one
    Thank you for the suggestion, I mean normal instant wash off fake tan isn't an option, I'm not too good with these terms. I might as well give cocoa brown a shot, I've heard others talking about it before as well and it seems like a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've put on fake tan every week for about 13 years. From what I can see, there is no miracle way to keep it looking good. I find around day 5 it starts to look fairly patchy, especially under the arms etc and I have to top it up by 1 week. Moisturising does help keep it longer, as do less frequent showers. Scrubbing the old tan off really well also gives a better canvass for reapplication I think.

I don't like the gradual tanners as I feel like I can smell them on my PJs and sheets if I use it every day.

Spray tans are definitely great if you can afford the extra expense and hassle of getting to the salon. They obviously tan you everywhere but I find it's not a good idea to spray every week as not all tan has come off all places by then and you end up getting patchy quickly. A spray tan every second week with a top up of normal tan just around the face, arms etc every other week might work.

Good luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Exfoliate before applying tan. I find a leg wax the best way to exfoliate my legs tbh! Tan goes on way more evenly. Don't spend ages in the shower, water dries out your skin which in turn makes your tan wear off faster. Moisturise with an oil free lotion. Oils can also break down tan.

I've tried all kind of fake tans from cheap to expensive and my favourite us Cocoa Brown. Buff it on with a mitt And leave it overnight before washing off and you should be a natural golden colour. Then keep moisturising and you should get a good 5 days before fading starts. At that point I think you're best to try scrub ogf as much as you can and apply again from scratch.

On my phone so apologies for any typos :)

Advertisement