Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair's a state :S

• 14-03-2015 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

About a year and a half ago, for a good few months, every time I brushed my hair loads was breaking off. I was sick, it's a long story... I realised after a while that the hair breakage was actually noticable - it's underneath, basically the stuff growing at the back - anyway, the broken-off hair has been growing back, but it's slightly wave-y - a different texture to the rest of my hair, which is straight.

It basically looks a state. When I got it cut about a year ago, the hair stopped breaking off, and I just got it cut a few weeks ago to a bit below shoulder length. The hair that's grown back isn't too much shorter than that, but it's just the different texture that's driving me batty.

As well, I've moved house, and we seem to have quite hard water, which is really 'dulling' the shine of my hair.

Does anyone have any tips for either of these dilemmas, because, if so, I'd really appreciate it. Oh, and blowdrying my hair calms the waviness a bit, but straightening it scares the crap out of me, as the one time I tried it, the new hair just seemed too thin for the straightner.

Thanks so much :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Try a keratin treatment in your hairdressers? It will smoothen the hair so different textures won't be as noticeable. It's much longer lasting than a wash out treatment.

I really like perfectil supplements for hair nails and skin- have seen a huge improvement in hair and nails (not so much in skin unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

Oh, never thought of that. I've never had a treatment done in a hairdresser's! Can you get it done in most places? I live in Cork, near enough to the City Centre/Wilton?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

lubie76 wrote: »
    Try a keratin treatment in your hairdressers? It will smoothen the hair so different textures won't be as noticeable. It's much longer lasting than a wash out treatment.

I really like perfectil supplements for hair nails and skin- have seen a huge improvement in hair and nails (not so much in skin unfortunately)

Do you mean the 12-week straightening treatment that's been banned because of formaldahyde in its ingredients? I don't think you can get it done, and I can't find any sort of product that does anything similar :S

Hairdressers: HALP!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

You could try something like the Tresemme Keratin Smooth treatments. They're an at home version of the salon keratin treatments. I think they're supposed to keep your hair nice and soft for a few washes so that might help. The keratin treatments in salons are different to the 12 week thing. I think they wash and dry your hair and then put the keratin on and go over it with a hair straightener. I've never had it done but I've seen it on a few blogs and I think I've seen a few youtube videos on it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

ash777 wrote: »
    Do you mean the 12-week straightening treatment that's been banned because of formaldahyde in its ingredients? I don't think you can get it done, and I can't find any sort of product that does anything similar :S

Hairdressers: HALP!!!:eek:

Yes you can get formaldehyde free ones in hairdressers now and they are quite effective but wouldn't last as long as 12 week blow dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

You mentioned being sick.

Certain prescribed drugs will have an effect on new hair growth causing it to change texture. It can make it thinner with less density and go from straight to curly and vice versa.

Sometimes the changes are temporary immediately following treatment but sometimes the change will be permanent particularly if you are taking medication long term.

Hair snaps and breaks off for several reasons but it sounds like you need to treat your new hair growth like baby hair and don't subject it to strong chemicals or excessive heat.

Always use a heat protector spray before blow drying. Resist the straighteners but occasional use is ok providing you use the ones where you can reduce the temperature.
    My personal fave are by CloudNine but they're Salon quality and quite expensive. (Far superior to GHD's in my opinion)

Difficult to diagnose without seeing or feeling the hair but you might need a combination of extra moisture and protein in your shampoo products. Too much protein will cause hair breakage so don't use it all the time but alternate with a moisturising shampoo and cut it out when the condition has sufficiently improved.

Also, try to find a cut that enhances the two textures so a sleek one length Bob is out but a textured Bob will look better. Google images of textured cuts for ideas and take pictures along to your hair appointment.

You live near Cork so I'd recommend the new Wayne Lloyd salon in the city for your first cut and let them look at your hair. Don't choose the cheapest stylist as they'll be less experienced. (Generally applies to all salons)

Hope this helps. :)

Advertisement