Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty blogger things you like / don' like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 harper7

Roseyrosie wrote: »
    That would be worrying if that was what I'd been referring to; I was referring to the fact that, when I said, "she charges for these workshops", you said, rather pedantically, "it wasn't a workshop - it was a talk".

Seeing as we're all talking about this, do you not think it's fair to assume that most bloggers are receiving monetary compensation from the brands they collaborate with? Do you expect the same standards from magazines? Next time you pick up a copy of Look or Grazia, take a look at the ads and then compare them with which brands are featured in their "editorial" pages.

I may be wrong but EVERY POST you have commented on is about SoSueMe and sticking up for her ripping her viewers off by doing fake review and also being a promoter for crown brushes which are <SNIP> . So Sue Me is looking for an intern with no pay and WANTS them to have experience that when in reality a internship is to LEARN and to GET experience and PAID . I hate lies and I hate fake people and I am saddened that a blogger like sue is just shown her true self is past few weeks . <SNIP>

FYI I'm not jealous I've perfect job have money to keep me going and a loving husband . I just feel betrayed

MIGHT BE WRONG BUT ABOVE POSTER MAY BE SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

harper7 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but EVERY POST you have commented on is about SoSueMe and sticking up for her ripping her viewers off by doing fake review and also being a promoter for crown brushes which are <SNIP> . So Sue Me is looking for an intern with no pay and WANTS them to have experience that when in reality a internship is to LEARN and to GET experience and PAID . I hate lies and I hate fake people and I am saddened that a blogger like sue is just shown her true self is past few weeks . <SNIP>

FYI I'm not jealous I've perfect job have money to keep me going and a loving husband . I just feel betrayed

harper7 that is so funny about her fake LV luggage! The absolute state of it. And not just one case, but a whole set! So chavvy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

On the topic of differentiating between workshops and talks; I wouldn't mind having to pay for a workshop, something like Pippa's Fashion Factory which I didn't attend but it looked great. Guests had to pay I think €50 (open to correction) and they got a goody bag of amazing stuff, fed for the day (desserts, sandwiches, ice cream etc) as well as expert make up tips and advice as well as a live tutorial. They were also treated to a fashion show with items of clothing not even in the shops yet. It looked, from what I could tell, like an amazing day out, and I heard great things about it.

I would however, be opposed to paying an entry fee into a crowded lecture hall which I regularly frequent anyway as a student of the college, to hear someone speak about how great it is to be Ireland's leading blogger. No advice, no demos, nothing tangable in exchange for your cash, which, as a student is hard to depart with.

For me there is a huge difference. And I guess it's the player playing the game as they obviously have a market for it as the students attended afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Roseyrosie

I really like how excited you are at this prospect; I'm not Sue. My name's Rosemary Mac Cabe; I actually tried to change my Boards profile to reflect that earlier, but it wouldn't let me.

My issue is that everyone's problems seem to be very much about Sue herself, not about anything she does or doesn't do. Every single post on boards.ie about bloggers ends up coming around to Sue, how tacky you think she is, how she has a fake handbag (do you not know anyone who has a fake bag?), her "awful" extensions... and I think it's really nasty.

It's really, really offensive to me how seemingly intelligent women who are interested in fashion and beauty can not have any possible discussion around Irish blogging without it descending into a total bitch fest about this one person who NONE OF YOU KNOW, and yeah, "my friend met her and says she's really rude" totally doesn't count.

Incidentally, I HAVE met Sue, thought she was very nice; I wouldn't consider us friends and I don't read her blog because it doesn't appeal to me, but I would fully defend her right to run her business as she sees fit (and as every other beauty blogger is doing). The intern question is a total red herring, doesn't belong in this thread and isn't worth getting into IMO.

I really like how excited you are at this prospect; I'm not Sue. My name's Rosemary Mac Cabe; I actually tried to change my Boards profile to reflect that earlier, but it wouldn't let me.

My issue is that everyone's problems seem to be very much about Sue herself, not about anything she does or doesn't do. Every single post on boards.ie about bloggers ends up coming around to Sue, how tacky you think she is, how she has a fake handbag (do you not know anyone who has a fake bag?), her "awful" extensions... and I think it's really nasty.

It's really, really offensive to me how seemingly intelligent women who are interested in fashion and beauty can not have any possible discussion around Irish blogging without it descending into a total bitch fest about this one person who NONE OF YOU KNOW, and yeah, "my friend met her and says she's really rude" totally doesn't count.

Incidentally, I HAVE met Sue, thought she was very nice; I wouldn't consider us friends and I don't read her blog because it doesn't appeal to me, but I would fully defend her right to run her business as she sees fit (and as every other beauty blogger is doing). The intern question is a total red herring, doesn't belong in this thread and isn't worth getting into IMO.

I think you're nit picking there Rosemary and you're not being truthful or fair. I for one never once mentioned her physical appearance or what bags she uses, I couldn't care less. My issues lie with her being <SNIP>, and I've constantly argued that point with you today but you can't seem to accept that. Anyway is obvious we are not going to agree and that's grand, but I won't be privy to your antagonistic advances anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Roseyrosie

anna080 wrote: »
    I think you're not picking there Rosemary. I for one never once mentioned her physical appearance or what bags she uses, I couldn't care less. My issues lie with her being <SNIP>, and I've constantly argued that point with you today but you can't seem to accept that. Anyway is obvious we are not going to agree and that's grand, but I won't be privy to your antagonistic advances anymore.

It's not "deceitful" and "manipulative" NOT to disclose getting compensation for something in an industry where said disclosure is not required by law and entirely unregulated. You think, ethically, that she "should" tell you - and maybe she should, but that's a moral, rather than legal, obligation.

Anyway, seeing as you've just totally defamed her, I suspect this thread will be closed down soon, which will probably be for the best.

It's not "deceitful" and "manipulative" NOT to disclose getting compensation for something in an industry where said disclosure is not required by law and entirely unregulated. You think, ethically, that she "should" tell you - and maybe she should, but that's a moral, rather than legal, obligation.

Anyway, seeing as you've just totally defamed her, I suspect this thread will be closed down soon, which will probably be for the best.

Oh so its only morally wrong! Well that's okay so!......(lol)

And how exactly have I "defamed her"; according to you everything she's doing is above board, so I don't know why my opinion would incite slander. Nothing I have said constitutes as libel, it's all true.
    Anyway, have a nice day :)

ratmouse wrote: »
    harper7 that is so funny about her <SNIP> LV luggage! The absolute state of it. And not just one case, but a whole set! So chavvy!

They are <SNIP> it is missing a number of things an also compartments are totally wrong structure and handles are missing a piece of material . I even sent a picture to my friend who I worked with and she said it <SNIP> . I requested that she do a designer handbag haul and she said that she doesn't do them because people don't like talking about luxury items then deleted my comment wtf ?? (note: this is when she had the <SNIP> hermes) she has a number of lv and has being pictured with a lv shopping bag outside bt but is very easy to buy fake ones that looks like the real deal . When I worked in Dubai the amount of people that came in with fakes they bought online etc but they are fake . Sue could <SNIP> . Only reason why I have lv is discounts and gifts and they are authentic and I don't flash them around

They are <SNIP> it is missing a number of things an also compartments are totally wrong structure and handles are missing a piece of material . I even sent a picture to my friend who I worked with and she said it <SNIP> . I requested that she do a designer handbag haul and she said that she doesn't do them because people don't like talking about luxury items then deleted my comment wtf ?? (note: this is when she had the <SNIP> hermes) she has a number of lv and has being pictured with a lv shopping bag outside bt but is very easy to buy fake ones that looks like the real deal . When I worked in Dubai the amount of people that came in with fakes they bought online etc but they are fake . Sue could <SNIP> . Only reason why I have lv is discounts and gifts and they are authentic and I don't flash them around

'people don't like talking about luxury items"?! Even though she strategically places all her "luxury" handbags/wallets/make up bags in almost every photo. Even if the photo is of her dog, you can be sure one of her "designer" items is placed in the photo! I'm not surprised that she deleted your comment though. That's what she does best! Leaving the comment there could bring too much attention and heat onto the topic of her designer bags and too many questions would be asked. So it's easier to remove your comment. How sad, eh?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I don't even know who So Sue Me is.

I feel like the "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" guy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I don't read so sue me, so I don't know just how annoying she is etc, but I have to agree that it's so tiring when every thread about bloggers goes off on a tangent about her

I don't get why some posters here dislike her so much but won't stop critiqueing about every aspect of her life?

I don't read so sue me, so I don't know just how annoying she is etc, but I have to agree that it's so tiring when every thread about bloggers goes off on a tangent about her

I don't get why some posters here dislike her so much but won't stop critiqueing about every aspect of her life?

Well this thread is about blogger things you like and don't like so its to be expected.

Well this thread is about blogger things you like and don't like so what do you expect?

I expected this, it's just such a shame that yet another thread is so heavily dominated by her again

I expected this, it's just such a shame that yet another thread is so heavily dominated by her again

Well she is Ireland's leading blogger so I guess it's to be expected that she will get the most attention.

Well she is Ireland's leading blogger so I guess it's to be expected that she will get the most attention.

A disproportionate amount from some posters here, but I suppose I'm no better given that my only contribution's have been about her.

So, I used to be such a big fan of beaut, it's such a shame that it got bought and is now barely beauty at all. I particularly don't like non-beauty opinion pieces where they screen responses that dont agree with them!

Every aspect of her life that she puts on her blog, which can be a lot seeing as she is such a me me me type of blogger. And as another poster has mentioned, this thread is about things you like and don't like with such blogs so why would the biggest blogger not be spoken about. It might be worth noting that her blog has not been referred to on this thread in terms of things people like in a blog. That in itself speaks volumes.

Every aspect of her life that she puts on her blog, which can be a lot seeing as she is such a me me me type of blogger. And as another poster has mentioned, this thread is about things you like and don't like with such blogs so why would the biggest blogger not be spoken about. It might be worth noting that her blog has not been referred to on this thread in terms of things people like in a blog. That in itself speaks volumes.

I doubt any of her fans would here anyway, given the hostility....

I doubt any of her fans would here anyway, given the hostility....

They'd be more than welcome to. I am actually very interested to hear what people actually like about the blog. It would be nice to hear another perspective actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

So, I used to be such a big fan of beaut, it's such a shame that it got bought and is now barely beauty at all. I particularly don't like non-beauty opinion pieces where they screen responses that dont agree with them!

Ditto! I used to really love the content & was so sad when they announced they were having to shut down (last year, or was it the year before?). Even though they're producing more articles now, it's not to the same standard. I do still like Laura's articles & tutorials though - I like that she posts step by step photos of it as she goes along.

I didn't actually realise they were deleting comments until recently. I noticed someone posted a comment bemoaning the lack of beauty reviews, saying that they were more like press releases than reviews, and it was deleted a few hours later. It's sad, I used to really rate their opinions & reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They'd be more than welcome to. I am actually very interested to hear what people actually like about the blog. It would be nice to hear another perspective actually.

I look at her blog, her facebook and instagram, like most people, out of curiosity. I find I'm interested in the tan and the lipsticks she wears. Not a huge fan of her style, I would be more of a classic dresser although I bought a top recently that she wear in Eygpt, the black & white striped cami from River Island but the outfit she wore that night would have been more my style (worn with white jeans and heels).

What I like in a blogger is someone I can relate to and I can't relate to Sue despite our closeness in age. I'm a couple of weeks older than Sue but I find that my life is so different to hers. Working full time, husband, son, mortgage etc etc... Since I've been approaching my 30's I have been finding it difficult to figure out what I should be wearing for my age, I want to look well but I don't want to look out of fashion or mutton dressed as lamb. I find myself with more in common with Pippa in terms of style and life stage.

• Advertisement

I like The Make up Fairy but I think she photoshops her pictures way too much. She comes across as a nice girl, slightly insecure, but nice. I just don't get why a make up artist whose job it is to promote/showcase make up and her application skills would edit her photos so much that you can't even tell what is product and what isn't. She's especially bad for doing this on Instagram where her close up pics are very much photoshopped. A lot of her young followers comment and say things like "wow flawless skin" or "any tips on getting such clear skin"; when in fact the image they're seeing is a lie.

I'm just not into the whole deception/manipulation thing at all be it with fake reviews, non disclosure of sponsorship or photoshop when you're showcasing a product on your face.

I like The Make up Fairy but I think she photoshops her pictures way too much. She comes across as a nice girl, slightly insecure, but nice. I just don't get why a make up artist whose job it is to promote/showcase make up and her application skills would edit her photos so much that you can't even tell what is product and what isn't. She's especially bad for doing this on Instagram where her close up pics are very much photoshopped. A lot of her young followers comment and say things like "wow flawless skin" or "any tips on getting such clear skin"; when in fact the image theyre seeing is a lie.

I'm jusy not into the whole deception/manipulation thing at all be it with fake reviews, non disclosure of sponsorship or photoshop when you're showcasing a product on your face.

Agree she lives at home with her parents and doesn't have all the flashy ikea furniture or a size six figure but I like her but her overdrawn derma filled lips annoy me but that's her . She doesn't have all the designer gear and but gets lots of products off companies . I remember around a year ago she was selling knock off handbags for 50€ Which I thought was bit tacky . Otherwise I like her cause she normal . I watch all her videos but her makeup she does on YouTube looks nothing like her pics deffo photoshopped but I do like her .

I see another blog start up Macdoll boutique that is written by a girl that owns macdoll boutique on Grafton street which I was in , I bought an item and then seen it in illac in another shop for 40€ cheaper I felt robbed . I like the blog but ooooommmmmyyyyyggggooood the makeup is slapped on its crazy but I looove the blog not many posts tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The beauty Kemple is a blog I like

http://thebeautykemple.blogspot.ie/

She reviews products that I'd be interested in buying and gives a honest opinion. She seems like a really down to earth girl as well. The blog layout is simple and not too in your face.

The beauty Kemple is a blog I like

http://thebeautykemple.blogspot.ie/

She reviews products that I'd be interested in buying and gives a honest opinion. She seems like a really down to earth girl as well. The blog layout is simple and not too in your face.

She's my friends sister! She's a lovely girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Well if anything this thread inspired me to write a long rambling post on disclosure and bloggers for a future post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I like The Make up Fairy but I think she photoshops her pictures way too much. She comes across as a nice girl, slightly insecure, but nice. I just don't get why a make up artist whose job it is to promote/showcase make up and her application skills would edit her photos so much that you can't even tell what is product and what isn't. She's especially bad for doing this on Instagram where her close up pics are very much photoshopped. A lot of her young followers comment and say things like "wow flawless skin" or "any tips on getting such clear skin"; when in fact the image theyre seeing is a lie.

I'm jusy not into the whole deception/manipulation thing at all be it with fake reviews, non disclosure of sponsorship or photoshop when you're showcasing a product on your face.

I don't know how much she does or doesn't photoshop, but, having met her in person, she is quite flawless :)

I love Sincerely Jules. She is an amazing blogger. Her style is amazing. So chilled and original. And not a hair extension to be seen!

nakedwithoutmylippy is another one that I enjoy. The blogger is very down to earth and honest. Often puts photos of herself on instrgram completely bare faced, not "pretend" bare faced whilst still with make up on and HD brows, fake lashes on,etc. Her photos are very honest, so to speak.

I love Sincerely Jules. She is an amazing blogger. Her style is amazing. So chilled and original. And not a hair extension to be seen!

nakedwithoutmylippy is another one that I enjoy. The blogger is very down to earth and honest. Often puts photos of herself on instrgram completely bare faced, not "pretend" bare faced whilst still with make up on and HD brows, fake lashes on,etc. Her photos are very honest, so to speak.

Ugh if I could morph into any human in the entire world it would be Sincerely Jules! Her style is so amazing! She is just so effortless and natural and clean looking! She's beautiful.

Ugh if I could morph into any human in the entire world it would be Sincerely Jules! Her style is so amazing! She is just so effortless and natural and clean looking! She's beautiful.

That's the perfect way to describe her - effortless! Her photos are amazing. Just like something from an editorial shoot for a high end fashion magazine. The quality of a bloggers photos is important to me. Unless its a new blogger just starting out, I expect the photos to be of a good standard. Retro flame has pretty damn good photos also. Nothing amateurish about them. Dare I mention the top blogger again?! Her photos do not match her success, if that makes sense? They look amateur. Like I would take myself with my very basic camera,in a very unimaginative setting,if I were to start taking photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

I honestly don't read many of the big blogs anymore as I just can't trust the reviews. Certain bloggers never seems to give ANY negative reviews, they seem to love everything.

Who's going to say anything bad about a product they are being paid to review?

That being said there are lots of smaller bloggers that I do trust but it just seems to be harder nowadays to trust a lot of reviews.........or maybe I'm just getting more cynical with age!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement