Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need all the advice I can get!!! *URGENT*

• 13-06-2013 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey guys!
    I just need some worthy advice right now!

I passed my theory test and have my learners permit.
    I want to start doing driving lessons ASAP. But, I don't have a car.
    Now, I've heard that it's recommended that you practice inbetween lessons so that you progress much quicker.

So I was wondering, would it be best for me just to do my 12 lessons whilst saving for a car?
    Or should I hold off on the lessons until I can afford a car/insurance/tax??

I really don't know what would be the best thing to do so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

It is very true that you need regular practice in between lessons.

However, about a month before you have insurance on your own car, I don't think it would do any harm to have 2 or 3 of the lessons in the instructors car. I say this because at that early point you're just being shown the basics and breaking yourself in, and it's more about taking in mental structures as opposed to expecting that you would get the technical part of the driving perfect.

However, after the 3 lesson, 4th lesson at the most, you really should be getting a lot of time to yourself for practicing the technical aspects. Clutch control, observations, etc etc etc.

Once you reach a certain level I'd recommend spacing your lessons out over 2, maybe even 3 weeks, so that muscle memory and GOOD habits have time to set in.

By about the 9 lesson mark, you should be able to drive, OK technically, and this is where you refine your particular shortfalls and nail the maneuvers. For lessons 10 and 11 I think you're instructor should be very pedantic about what you are doing right and wrong, and make each lesson HARDER than the real test.

Lesson 12 can be a pretest the morning of your test, where he is still hard on you, but at the same time is far less vocal so that it's giving you confidence.

Of course you don't have to do it this way (you can have as many lessons as you want), but that's the way I did it and I passed with 0 faults after only 5 months driving.

The main points are:
    Develop good habits early.

Don't shy away from doing out of the car work - what I mean is, make a page of the steps you need to do for each kind of operation in the car, and read them once in a while.
    Get a good instructor

Make driving something you do on a regular basis - in my case I run 3 or 4 times a week, so I used to drive about 6 km away from home, go for a run, and then drive back home. This meant I got regular practice while still making driving an actual a utility to my life.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY
    Realise it's going to take time, Driving safely is ALWAYS your main goal, and you will make mistakes, we all do.

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

I never practised in between lessons.. It took me 7 months worth of lessons though, 1 a week. Hated every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

The_Nipper_One gives some decent advice however.....

"Lesson 12 can be a pretest the morning of your test......."

Is totally incorrect. You will not be given a date for your test until your 12th and final lesson has been completed and has been uploaded into the system by your ADI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

The_Nipper_One gives some decent advice however.....

"Lesson 12 can be a pretest the morning of your test......."

Is totally incorrect. You will not be given a date for your test until your 12th and final lesson has been completed and has been uploaded into the system by your ADI.

Strictly true yes, but there are ways around this.

Ways which don't hurt anyone, but still enable you to have a test booked while at the same time saving that lesson 12 for the morning of the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Ways which don't hurt anyone, but still enable you to have a test booked while at the same time saving that lesson 12 for the morning of the test.

What you are suggesting is that your instructor uploads lessons prior to them being completed. It's illegal and against our code of conduct.
    Also most pupils will need more than 12 lessons to be test ready, particularly if they've started from absolute scratch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Would it not hurt the instructor if he had his ADI certification taken away from him if he was caught doing what you are suggesting? I don't know why an ADI who cares about his livelihood, would agree to letting their pupil pull a fast one like that.

OP, do your 12 lessons, book your test and if you feel you need more professional instruction before you sit your test, book a pretest. This is specifically geared toward prepping you for your test, as supposed to focusing on a particular aspect of driving.

Advertisement