Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting Insurance

Options
  • 12-06-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all,

I turn 17 in 4 weeks and i'm looking around at different types of insurance and vehicles for when I turn 17 and get my learners permit.

My dad is purchasing a new 1-1.3L car, either a Peugeot 206, Volkswagen Golf, Fiat Punto, or similar.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on what the insurance might be like if i'm a additional driver on his policy?

Thanks,

CurtisB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

You'll get quotes from 2000-5000

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭CurtisBoylan

2000-5000? I was getting these type of quotes for a 3L jeep and was told to downgrade, will the insurance rate not go down too?? How are learners meant to learn with this kind of insurance rates?? Any advice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Any advice for me?

Shop around as much as possible. Quotes vary wildly ever when using the same details on a different day, at least that is what I found.

I paid just over 1000 the first time I was insured, but I was 22 at the time and you are 17. If 1000+ is too expensive for you, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

Insurance is always going to be expensive for a learner no matter what they are driving, because the risk bracket the car is in is less of a potential liability than the limited experience of the person driving it. You need to remember that even if you are driving a car worth absolutely nothing, you can still potentially have an accident with, and total, a car worth 50k.

For anyone else interested in the same topic -

I went and phoned around the insurance companies, a few wouldn't insure under 21's and the ones that did were offering insane quotes. I came across Avivas deal, they offer 6 months free car insurance if you're got a parent with them, if you go with their driving lessons. They had very little restrictions on what vehicle it was. The cost was 200 and something euro for insurance for my parent, then 499 euro for 13 EDT lessons from them, which comes with free insurance for me under my parents policy.

I hope this clears it up for people and helps some people,

Curtis

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

For anyone else interested in the same topic -

I went and phoned around the insurance companies, a few wouldn't insure under 21's and the ones that did were offering insane quotes. I came across Avivas deal, they offer 6 months free car insurance if you're got a parent with them, if you go with their driving lessons. They had very little restrictions on what vehicle it was. The cost was 200 and something euro for insurance for my parent, then 499 euro for 13 EDT lessons from them, which comes with free insurance for me under my parents policy.

I hope this clears it up for people and helps some people,

Curtis

So effectively you're paying the guts of 800 for lessons which would normally cost around 300. It's not free at all but if it works for you.....

• Advertisement

So effectively you're paying the guts of 800 for lessons which would normally cost around 300. It's not free at all but if it works for you.....

I will be paying 499 due to the 200 is to insure my parents who would have to be insured anyway even if I didn't start driving. It's better then the 2-3K quotes I was getting from other insurance companies. I get your point but you're obviously paying a little more for the insurance too.

-Curtis

Advertisement