Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

all full licences - cpc?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I did all the tests about 5/6 years ago , bus truck artic etc and passed them all.
    Just something I decided to do. I have all catergories on my licence.

I never use them.

With all the new regs etc..... will I be able to renew in few yrs time when liceneces expire and I need a new licenec without further tests?

I paid a lot at the time for lessons. What is this CPC thing about?

Thks

Paddy:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

AFAIK, yes you'll be able to renew your licence and keep all those categories but unless you do the cpc you wont be able to get a job driving any of those vehicles. You'd need to complete 5 seperate modules of cpc training for C and D or do six modules to cover both categories in order to use your licence. The 5th module for cat D is supposed to be completed before Aug this year and 5th cat C by Aug next year. After that there will be a requirement to complete a days training per yeay to maintain the cpc card. The cpc training for anyone who already holds the licence consists of one day (seven hours) classroom time and is very straightforward, in fact the only legal requirement to pass each module is attendance.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

here is something i often wondered!!!what does AFAIK Mean???

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

here is something i often wondered!!!what does AFAIK Mean???

As Far As I Know

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I did all the tests about 5/6 years ago , bus truck artic etc and passed them all.
    Just something I decided to do. I have all catergories on my licence.

I never use them.

With all the new regs etc..... will I be able to renew in few yrs time when liceneces expire and I need a new licenec without further tests?

I paid a lot at the time for lessons. What is this CPC thing about?

Thks

Paddy:P

I'm in a similar boat. Passed all the tests and did 1 module of CPC. But since I'm not driving I didn't bother keeping it up. Most get around to contacting the RSA to find out what I'd need to do if I wanted to drive commercially at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

You can keep all categories on your licence simply by renewing it. No extra tests needed.
    The CPC is for commercial drivers. So if you wanted a job driving a lorry or bus you would need to complete all five modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ADIDriving wrote: »
    You can keep all categories on your licence simply by renewing it. No extra tests needed.
    The CPC is for commercial drivers. So if you wanted a job driving a lorry or bus you would need to complete all five modules.

I know I can keep the categories.

What I need to find out off the RSA is how I go about getting my CPC active again if I want to drive commercially, as I've only done 1 module 4 years ago, at some time in the, hopefully distance, future. As the CPC Site doesn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Del2005 wrote: »

I know I can keep the categories.

What I need to find out off the RSA is how I go about getting my CPC active again if I want to drive commercially, as I've only done 1 module 4 years ago, at some time in the, hopefully distance, future. As the CPC Site doesn't say.

its now illegal to employ a driver who hasnt done their cpc . Big fine for the employer or so the boss says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

To get up to date, just do the remaining modules,
    if you have a D licence you must have modules 1-4 and 6 done before you can take up a job, and if you have a C licence you must have any 4 of mods 1-5 done before you can take up a job.

Just ring up any course provider and book onto the modules that you dont have completed, they will send the attendance details to the RSA and you will get your cpc card in due course.

btb wrote: »
    To get up to date, just do the remaining modules,
    if you have a D licence you must have modules 1-4 and 6 done before you can take up a job, and if you have a C licence you must have any 4 of mods 1-5 done before you can take up a job.

Just ring up any course provider and book onto the modules that you dont have completed, they will send the attendance details to the RSA and you will get your cpc card in due course.
    -.;...…;
    What is the cpc exactly is it just a brush up on the therory end ? Is there practical driving / rules of road questions? Thks

Just googled a bit! Acquired rights mentioned I think if u have licence since 08 u have this? Wud it be worth now just doing the one day Cpc course to avoid having to do cpc driving test part?? Thks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

With acquired rights, there is no exam, just do the modules (5/6 one day classes). You are supposed to do 1 module/ year (or in your case 6 modules in 5 years as you have both C and D licence)

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Driver-Hours/Getting-your-CPC/

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Driver-Hours/Annual-training/

It is supposed to make you a better driver, makes you more aware of the regulations and its what you make of it.

Most is just common sense and you should really be doing it anyway if you are driving.

With acquired rights you will not have to do the cpc exam ( could be wrong but this is what I was told when I enquired as I like you did 1 module and as was not driving for a living left it until last year to catch up) you will just have to do all the required ammount of modules before you can work as a driver (e.g. for D licence you will have to have all 5 modules (mods 1-4 and 6) done now before you can work as a bus driver, for C licence you will have to have any 4 modules done)

From RSA website

"Course content

There are six training modules in total, each lasting seven hours, with additional reading material to cover specific areas.

Modules:
    Control of the vehicle and eco-driving techniques
    Minimising risks and managing emergencies in the transport industry
    Health and safety for the professional driver
    Role of the professional driver in the transport industry
    The professional truck driver
    The professional bus driver"

Know its a bit longwinded but hope it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

And after that you start all over again ! .
    To continue working after you have the 5/6
    You must do one every year . This is why your truck/bus licence will now need to be renewed ever 5 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Frank jones40

Any tips on how to get my truck licence this going to be my fourth attempt at it

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat. Passed all the tests and did 1 module of CPC. But since I'm not driving I didn't bother keeping it up. Most get around to contacting the RSA to find out what I'd need to do if I wanted to drive commercially at some stage.

I have one mod done....doing another tomorrow...have to have 5 done by sept or will have to start process again...its common sense info really bit of a money making racket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Any tips on how to get my truck licence this going to be my fourth attempt at it

Plenty of observation, smooth gear changing, block changing and don't be afraid to match the speed limit. My instructor told me years ago that if the sign says 60 then do 60! More people get marked for doing 50 thinking that driving slower is safer but the examiner doesn't see it that way.

When your driving past people .i.e narrow footpath, reduce your speed and when you've passed check your left mirror and increase your speed up to the limit again. Make sure you know you're ROTR and most importantly be confident in your demeanor as it gives the impression to the examiner that you know your stuff and are a confident/safe driver.

Advertisement