Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Galway need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Links234 wrote: »
    micro-apartment.jpg

Nice, but no bed... do you convert the living room or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sniipe wrote: »
    Nice, but no bed... do you convert the living room or something?

I'm assuming that's a fold out bed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Links234 wrote: »
    Yeah, and decent high rise apartment buildings, we shouldn't be afraid of building upwards, just look at the issues with Dublin and how the ever increasing urban sprawl is putting a strain on infrastructure. And also decent, livable one person apartments. There's obviously a market for this when people are renting out barely livable shoeboxes as "Studio apartments" are charging extraordinary amounts for the privilage, and the chancers get away with it too, so why not build single occupancy apartments to a high standard. Something like these:

micro-apartment.jpg

micro_apartment.jpg

And you know something else that Galway should have? A proper indoor market, like the English Market in Cork, or the Camden Stables Market in London. Somewhere like the old Connact Laundry site would've been absolutely perfect, but that apparently is gonna be a hotel. Alternatively the car park on Market St. would be an absolutely perfect part.

Galway would be a pretty interesting place if I was in charge, have a look in the indoor market and get some street food, then grab a pint in Wetherspoons and later take the monorail back to your micro apartment. :pac:

Wetherspoons!

Galway has a fine selection of locally owned pubs.

People won't come to Galway to visit a Wetherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

nuac wrote: »
    Wetherspoons!

Galway has a fine selection of locally owned pubs.

People won't come to Galway to visit a Wetherspoons

As well as a fine selection of pubs serving overpriced mass produced alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There's a couple of nice spots, but nothing that offers a proper English cask ale. Pint of Adnams for €2.50 would be amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Few suggestions:
    Refurbishment of the Salthill Prom, a proper pavement rather than poured concrete which looks drab in wet weather.better landscaping and decoration. More coffee shops and restaurants there too would also be nice.

A decent transit system. Galways probably too small to warrent a tram but It definately needs a proper segregated BRT with information displays (and enclosed shelters!)

An overhaul of the citys shopping centers, The Galway shopping center is looking very tired, There was plans to flatten a redevelop it hopefully that gets resurected now things are on the up. Dunnes and the galway retail park probably deserve similar treatment.

Infact that whole Industrial estate area by Dunnes should be moved out to Ballybrit and redeveloped into shops/apartments

The docklands also needs redevelopment though I would have it as a new CBD with a marina rather than a port as Foynes is only down the road and no point in having 2 deep water ports within an hour and a half of each other.

It would be nice for Connaught rugby to have their own pourpose built stadium concidering the great strides theyve made in recent years.

Fix Ceannt Station. Its an ackward overcrowded dump and the first impression many people get of the city.

More trees everywhere! you can never have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Few suggestions:
    Refurbishment of the Salthill Prom, a proper pavement rather than poured concrete which looks drab in wet weather.better landscaping and decoration. More coffee shops and restaurants there too would also be nice.

A decent transit system. Galways probably too small to warrent a tram but It definately needs a proper segregated BRT with information displays (and enclosed shelters!)

An overhaul of the citys shopping centers, The Galway shopping center is looking very tired, There was plans to flatten a redevelop it hopefully that gets resurected now things are on the up. Dunnes and the galway retail park probably deserve similar treatment.

Infact that whole Industrial estate area by Dunnes should be moved out to Ballybrit and redeveloped into shops/apartments

The docklands also needs redevelopment though I would have it as a new CBD with a marina rather than a port as Foynes is only down the road and no point in having 2 deep water ports within an hour and a half of each other.

It would be nice for Connaught rugby to have their own pourpose built stadium concidering the great strides theyve made in recent years.

Fix Ceannt Station. Its an ackward overcrowded dump and the first impression many people get of the city.

More trees everywhere! you can never have enough.
    Connacht don't need a purpose built stadium as having one would mean moving out of the city centre and that doesn't help with crowds etc.
    A properly segregated BRT would be great but that would be very hard to put in place and I don't see it ever happening.

Connacht don't need a purpose built stadium as having one would mean moving out of the city centre and that doesn't help with crowds etc.
    A properly segregated BRT would be great but that would be very hard to put in place and I don't see it ever happening.

I agree they shouldnt move from the city center, that would kill off alot of the casual fans. Theyve two options from what I see, buy out the sports grounds (if thats even possible)and improve the clann stand, have temporary stands at the goal ends for big games along with better facilities. The problem is the location of the club house and training pitch along with the inevitable objections from residents on college road.

option 2 a cleansheet design on a new docks sight.Right beside the train/bus station and Eyre square, plenty of space, no residents to worry about. It would also be a great location for concerts when not in use.

With the BRT I think it would be a (relatively) straightforward job. The main objective would be to get people from the west side of the city, where most people live to the east side where they work. the bus lanes are already in place from UCHG to fort lorenzo and theres plenty of space all along the N6 to Doughiska.

On the return journey/second line, Old dublin road, gmit, lough atalia rd, salthill, threadneedle rd. Old dublin road has a buslane most of its length, lough atalia rd is one way now anyway,the bridge by the spanish arch would need to be redesigned, admittedly a major job. salthill and threadneedle rd are fine once you get rid of on street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I agree they shouldnt move from the city center, that would kill off alot of the casual fans. Theyve two options from what I see, buy out the sports grounds (if thats even possible)and improve the clann stand, have temporary stands at the goal ends for big games along with better facilities. The problem is the location of the club house and training pitch along with the inevitable objections from residents on college road.

option 2 a cleansheet design on a new docks sight.Right beside the train/bus station and Eyre square, plenty of space, no residents to worry about. It would also be a great location for concerts when not in use.

With the BRT I think it would be a (relatively) straightforward job. The main objective would be to get people from the west side of the city, where most people live to the east side where they work. the bus lanes are already in place from UCHG to fort lorenzo and theres plenty of space all along the N6 to Doughiska.

On the return journey/second line, Old dublin road, gmit, lough atalia rd, salthill, threadneedle rd. Old dublin road has a buslane most of its length, lough atalia rd is one way now anyway,the bridge by the spanish arch would need to be redesigned, admittedly a major job. salthill and threadneedle rd are fine once you get rid of on street parking.
    The IRFU wont buy them out and I highly doubt owners of sportsground would be interested in selling. There already is planning permission to put a second tier on the clan terrace but funding it is an issue. Problem for many walk ons is that the only tickets available generally are at either end of the pitch and if weather is any bit bad at all. They wont turn up.
    Who would fund the development of this other option?
    Lough Atalia isn't being kept one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are kidding, aren't you? There are a lot of residents in the Docks area.

• Advertisement

You are kidding, aren't you? There are a lot of residents in the Docks area.

New docks, its empty industrial land.

Funding is the issue for any development. The only hope of it happening would be as part of the world cup bid. I'd rather see it going to Connaught rugby than the gaa getting another stadium refurbished. Of course in the real world its unlikely so I won't hold my breath.

*edit* that planning permission for the clann stand second tier has lapsed BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Funding is the issue for any development. The only hope of it happening would be as part of the world cup bid. I'd rather see it going to Connaught rugby than the gaa getting another stadium refurbished. Of course in the real world its unlikely so I won't hold my breath.

*edit* that planning permission for the clann stand second tier has lapsed BTW.
    I like the idea of building around the new docks but regarding World Cup funding, I'd imagine capacity would be an issue. AFAIK the smallest ground was 15k in 2011, and the smallest in Japan in 2019 is 16k. This would surely be too much for Connacht (unless they grow at the same rate as they have over the last 6-7 years, but is that likely?) You don't want a half-empty golden elephant sitting there once the tournament is done. Could be worked around though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

To be much less up its own arse.
    To recognize its an enjoyable provincial town.
    After the races and the arts festival it flatlines so it needs:
    A Volvo Ocean Race type event every year
    An international class music venue and event
    I'm sorry. I just prefer Dublin. And London. And New York
    Galway will never have scale.
    I love it for its homeliness but maybe it just needs more of what it does well already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

lough atalia rd is one way now anyway.

No it's not, that was only a Temp situation to allow lowering of the road at bridge at docks end. Two way again now.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

No it's not, that was only a Temp situation to allow lowering of the road at bridge at docks end. Two way again now.

Maybe so but it could be changed back to allow for a brt lane. Any road can be altered to improve traffic flow.

As reguards to the stadium i personally think 15k would be a streach to fill regularly (I'll be at the dragons game next Friday doing my part ;) ) your right though a half empty stadium kills the atmosphere but people did say the same thing before thomond park got rebuilt so who knows. There was a piece in the tribune in June about connaught actively looking at the options so maybe we shouldn't be so pessimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Fleawuss wrote: »
    To be much less up its own arse.

Oh the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Few suggestions:
    Refurbishment of the Salthill Prom, a proper pavement rather than poured concrete which looks drab in wet weather.better landscaping and decoration.

Many good points! I hate the coloured concrete layer they poured on the prom, bike paths, and intersections because they aren't maintaining them. There are many places around the city where this coloured layer is in a bad state which just makes for a bumpy ride.

I've made that same point about the industrial estate tucked behind westside as it has huge potential. But it seems that they're more likely to build up the area around B&Q as any building in westside area is going to have pushback from the local residents. You can hardly blame them, despite the road widening the traffic is still crap (although statistically better).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So hardly right beside Ceannt Station then.

So hardly right beside Ceannt Station then.

It's just over the rail bridge, I would consider that beside the train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Oh the irony.

I rest my case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

This thread may be dead but I've always wondered why Galway has so few pubs/restaurants on the outskirts of town? Everything is condensed into the city centre.

Tom Sheridans in Knocknacarra, The Huntsman and The Trappers Inn are the kinds of places Im talking about, but they're the only three I can think of.

This thread may be dead but I've always wondered why Galway has so few pubs/restaurants on the outskirts of town? Everything is condensed into the city centre.

Tom Sheridans in Knocknacarra, The Huntsman and The Trappers Inn are the kinds of places Im talking about, but they're the only three I can think of.

Hotels in localities do the same job e.g Menlo Park, Clayton, Connacht etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

A big city park like the Phoenix park. What could be done with South park I wonder and further land reclamation there and harbour area. Or further out eg Moycullen road/drum area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

And that's why we love Galway. It's not like Dublin where you have to decide where to meet people and get taxis between locations during a night out. In Galway you just meet someone "in town".

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Galway needs an arthouse cinema...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Galway needs a roof 😫😫

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hotels in localities do the same job e.g Menlo Park, Clayton, Connacht etc etc

I disagree, we wouldn't be caught dead in the Clybaun Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tom Sheridans was also mentioned.

So because you dont go to one that means nobody else does? Makes sense i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Clybaun has seen an improvement since change of ownership in my opinion...

Advertisement