Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create a Vector Graphic

Options
  • 05-06-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Any Advice on software , tutorials or approach (How to do);

What I am trying to do

I want to create a Company Logo using a Vector Graphic so we can scale it to any size without lossless in resolution.

Approach

I can create the image fairly easily as a raster image , so far I have come across two options

1. Create a Raster image and use a tracing tool to map out the objects points and create a Vector Graphic
    Issues
    o I loose quality , colour , shading , sharpness, it is rendered blurred
    o If I re-scale the image it does not scale without image losing its clarity , I presume this is down to the tracing tool doing an approximation of object points
    2. To create the Image as a Vector graphic from the start
    o I am looking up how to do this but so far I have not found any good tutorials
    o I am confused how you save it as SVG file? How do you tell the software you want to use SVG toolset, to create a SVG file / Project
    o Everything I come across is Conversion tools from Raster Image to Vector graphic

Software

• Adobe illustrator is the industry standard but its too $$$ for me to get
    • Gimp
    • Inkscape
    • Microsoft Expression Design

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How complex is the image? The Illustrator (or Inkscape) pen tool would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clodola

It is mainly text (3 words) with a mountain type back ground like Coors Light (Sharp Silhouette out-ling a mountain)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How many colours? Gradients etc.?

Draw it in Inkscape and save as .eps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Have you looked into CorelDRAW?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Inkscape is Free. Can't beat the pricetag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clodola

Thanks , got a trial of illustrator ; will give it a go :)

Advertisement