Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop RAM related problem,help!

• 21-01-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭

hey guys,this is the 3rd posts of mine today...what a day!:(

i got a new DDR2 512mb Kingston for my laptop Thinkpad R52.i actually buying the new RAM cause' my old RAM 'freezed' the laptop after i log in windows.this new RAM,however,working fine at first,but my laptop will freeze after awhile...:(

any advice?

thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Then the problems not the ram.....did you run memtest (memory testing software) on the old ram or just figure it was the ram and went striaght to buying a replacement? It could be a problem with the hard drive or a windows issue also, the fact it gets as far as trying to load windows would make me suspect it might not be the ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i didnt run memtest,it take ages for that,and i am off to school :(

with the new RAM,i can run windows,but even after awhile i leave it alone doing nothing,it still freeze!:0

look like a mainboaard problem for me...

seraphimvc wrote: »
    i didnt run memtest,it take ages for that,
    look like a mainboaard problem for me...

Dear god your diagnosis process leaves something to be desired. It might not be the ram, it might not be your motherboard. Its either your machine is overheating (quick blast of compressed air into the vents if its a laptop, if its a desktop turn off the machine , open it up and air dust the heat sink to remove dust build up.)
    Run a program called Drive Fitness test on the hard drive to see if it passes or fails, to eliminate this as part of the problem.
    Lastly try a system restore to a month ago and see does it rectify the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It could be so many things. Like overheating - how is the temperature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

will try the Drive Fitness today :) i downloaded a software called memtest,it said it need hours for a good diagnose,so i just gave up.

i did clean the internal and mobo,but how do you clean the cpu fan,it is on the side of the laptop?

i search google and found many people like me got the freeze after adding RAM...no solutions for that them,they changed the mainboard in the end.

• Advertisement

Memtest doesn't take that long, the tests will run indefinately until you tell them to stop so if they go a half hour or so without any error messages well then your ram is ok.
    Do let the DFT run on the hard drive, again this will take a pretty long time too depending on the size of your hard drive.

Advertisement