Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire 3690,Vista Home Basic, 1.5G

Options
  • 21-01-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

On top of the usual Vista gripes, I'm recently having problems with Windows installer freezing (I've been playing with lots of old XP software in recent weeks, which I suspect may be the problem). Being an Acer, I've no system discs (separate system partition), so I cant just reinstall "Installer".

I do have XP Pro.........................much as I'd love to install it, do I really need all the driver hassle?
    Anyone else had any similar problems? Any info or advice would be appreciated.
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You might not be able to install XP Pro (not easily anyways) if you have a SATA hard drive in the laptop. Again had a machine in with similar issues to yours, they wanted XP on it and had bought a legitimate license for it but because it was a SATA drive and the laptop manufacturers hadn't released the hard drive controllers drivers to allow an XP install there wasn't anything I could do but do a clean vista install (which picked up the hard drive straight away).
    You could try doing a "repair" of Vista via the system restore options (at least check if repair IS an option first).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Agh just ordered a laptop with vista and a sata hard drive, you mean I wont be able to put XP on it either?

Sometimes Windows XP SP2 can detect SATA drives if there using a common enough chipset on the motherboard, however newer machines using vista which has the inbuilt facility to detect sata drives mean that manufacturers aren't putting the required XP install drivers up on their websites, so it would be a case of finding out what chipset is on the laptop then trying to find the appropriate sata drivers so that when your doing an XP install you can hit that magic F6 key to load drivers from an alternate location thus allowing XP to detect the sata drive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I remember someone was having a problem trying to install xp on their laptop. When they put in the xp disk it wouldn't find their hard drive. Would this be the same thing you are describing majiktripp? If so, there was a fairly easy fix for it. All you had to do was change a setting in the bios.

Edit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54520978

Thanks for that Almighty,page now favourited! Will keep handy just in case it does resolve issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement