Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

In a funny way, I can't wait to have a little bump but I want to hide it from work until at least 12 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ah congrats yellow hen! :D I didn't show properly on my second until I was over 5 months, I was bridesmaid at a wedding when I was 20+ weeks and the only way people knew was because I told them! I was a teeny bit overweight since having my first though so that probably hid it a bit. I also think the type of clothes you wear have a lot to do with it too, I love flowy tops etc so any bit of a bump I had was nicely hidden.

Ah congrats yellow hen! :D I didn't show properly on my second until I was over 5 months, I was bridesmaid at a wedding when I was 20+ weeks and the only way people knew was because I told them! I was a teeny bit overweight since having my first though so that probably hid it a bit. I also think the type of clothes you wear have a lot to do with it too, I love flowy tops etc so any bit of a bump I had was nicely hidden.

I showed at about 16 weeks last time so I'm afraid this time I'll explode by 10 :( I LOVE being pregnant again though so I'm only dying to bust out the maternity clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

yellow hen wrote: »
    Only just pregnant on my second baby now. Did everyone pop their bump very early in their second? Just wondering how long I can hide it for!

I honestly looked noticeably pregnant by 6/7 weeks this time. I was using a hair bobbin to close my jeans by that stage and was in maternity jeans by 10 weeks! I'm bigger now (16 weeks) than I was at 25 weeks last time. I didn't show noticeably til well after 20 weeks last time. I think your core puts up decent resistance the first time but gives up straight away in subsequent pregnancies :D

Congrats by the way. I posted for a while in the TTC forum so I know your journey. Delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi all,

Received a letter today from NMH, to say I tested positive for Strep B. I am guessing it's related to a swab taken when I had a bleed last week.

I was hoping to labour at home for as long as possible but the letter makes it sound like I need to start IV anti-biotics as soon as labour starts.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'll ask next time I'm in the hospital but would appreciate some advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi all,

Received a letter today from NMH, to say I tested positive for Strep B. I am guessing it's related to a swab taken when I had a bleed last week.

I was hoping to labour at home for as long as possible but the letter makes it sound like I need to start IV anti-biotics as soon as labour starts.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'll ask next time I'm in the hospital but would appreciate some advice.

We cannot give medical advice your best bet is to wait until you are in hospital or to pop along to your GP and ask them.

January wrote: »
    We cannot give medical advice your best bet is to wait until you are in hospital or to pop along to your GP and ask them.

Sorry didn't mean to break the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Does anyone know places that have nursery decor? Very few places

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I tested positive for it with baby no 1 too. Not giving medical advice (there's not much to give tbh), other than ask loads of questions about when you should come in and also make sure it's noted prominently on your chart.I knew I had it as I tested early on for it, but it didn't get noted at the front of my chart until nearly 30 weeks when a very enthusaistic midwife found the results in the back of my chart at an appointment.An admin error.They need it to be front and centre so they know straight away when you come in in labour.
    They'll explain all to you, but the gist is that they want to get a set amount of antibiotics into you during your labour....4 hours worth of them or something like that.They pass through the placenta to the baby.It's nothing really to worry too much about, but they do like to get the baby out relatively quickly (I don't mean rushing to C-section or anything).I had it easy in that my
    waters broke first, and contractions started an
    hour later.But once my waters had gone, I knew
    I had to go in anyway, so decision was made for me.
    This is my second time round, and they're treating me again without testing anyway.Best advice I can give you is keep asking them questions, so you are amed with as much info as possible for yourself :-)

thumbsup22 wrote: »
    This is my second time round, and they're treating me again without testing anyway.Best advice I can give you is keep asking them questions, so you are amed with as much info as possible for yourself :-)

Thanks thumbsup, I ended up in a&e over the weekend and the midwife there updated my file for it. It is literally written all over the file.

She was really nice and fully explained about what it meant in terms of risk. Also that I need to come in after waters break and I will have 12 hrs to labour rather than the standard 24.
    We talked for a while about things and she was very helpful. I have thought of a few questions since that I will ask at my next appointment :)
    Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks thumbsup, I ended up in a&e over the weekend and the midwife there updated my file for it. It is literally written all over the file.

She was really nice and fully explained about what it meant in terms of risk. Also that I need to come in after waters break and I will have 12 hrs to labour rather than the standard 24.
    We talked for a while about things and she was
    very helpful. I have thought of a few questions
    since that I will ask at my next appointment :)

Thanks for the advice

No problem.A tiny bit of me appreciated the fact that I could go in a bit early and not be thrown out again!!But as I said I knew once my waters went that I had to go in and I'd be kept in, regardless of what contractions were doing!As it turned out my labour was quick...7 hours....so it's a good thing that it went in that order!This time round they expect it to be a couple of hours and it's unlikely they'll get the antibiotics in fully, so I've already been told I'll probably be in after the birth for 2-3 hours so they can monitor the baby, just to be sure.
    Much better to know you have it going on than to find out after the fact.At least it can be treated this way :-)

Girls can anyone tell me, is it free to visit the emergency room in the coombe or do you pay the standard €100 applicable to all a&e's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Girls can anyone tell me, is it free to visit the emergency room in the coombe or do you pay the standard €100 applicable to all a&e's?

I know there's no charge in Holles St (if you're public anyways) so I'd assume the Coombe is the same.

I know there's no charge in Holles St (if you're public anyways) so I'd assume the Coombe is the same.

Thanks, that's great

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

I've tested positive for strep b, I'm asking for a retest at 35 weeks, didn't have it with my first and was really run down and tired at my booking scan.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Yellow hen, I attended The Coombe this year and A & E doesn't have a charge. Depending on how many weeks you are though will depend if it's A&E or admissions (after 24 wks) but there's a sign on the door anyways! Best of luck, hope all is ok!

ChewChew wrote: »
    Yellow hen, I attended The Coombe this year and A & E doesn't have a charge. Depending on how many weeks you are though will depend if it's A&E or admissions (after 24 wks) but there's a sign on the door anyways! Best of luck, hope all is ok!

I didn't want to mention it beforehand as I know medical advice is not allowed but I had a small bleed last night accompanied by cramping. For peace of mind I went into emergency today and thank god, baby is still happily wriggling around in there. My poor emotions aren't able for this...I'm a weeping mess at the moment. Decided to take a sick day from work and just rest and sleep today.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Glad all is ok. Better safe than sorry!! I had one bleed at about 14 weeks and it was scary as hell. These little messers really know how to put the wind up us! A sick day is definitely in order!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I didn't want to mention it beforehand as I know medical advice is not allowed but I had a small bleed last night accompanied by cramping. For peace of mind I went into emergency today and thank god, baby is still happily wriggling around in there. My poor emotions aren't able for this...I'm a weeping mess at the moment. Decided to take a sick day from work and just rest and sleep today.

Glad you're ok! I had a couple of bleeds when pregnant with our little boy and it's absolutely terrifying so you have my sympathy. Glad you got seen to and everything is well. Proper order on the day off! Get yourself some chocolate and snuggle up with some frothy telly! Take care xx

Glad you all is ok Yellow Hen. It is a very stressful time and you are right to take a day to get some rest.

I have been in 9 times now with bleeding :( I find it a little bit less stressful now as at least I can feel baby kicking.

Try to get lots of rest and be kind to yourself x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

I've tested positive for strep b, I'm asking for a retest at 35 weeks, didn't have it with my first and was really run down and tired at my booking scan.

Definitely ask for a retest, especially as you were run down when I'm presuming the swab was taken. GBS is so common that it pointless to test routinely until closer to the birth. Plenty of probiotics and garlic should help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

They don't test us here in France for strep B until <30 days from the due date. If you go over time, you have to get tested again (happened to me last time).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I was positive on second baby but not first, they did test again around 38 weeks for me. That was Coombe

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Has anyone ever found maternity swimwear that isn't terrible for swimming solid workouts and decent distances? Everything I'm seeing online from UK sites is fugly as hell and has a U back which I find gives almost no boob support and that's a big problem for me. I'm 17 weeks at the moment and have a normal Speedo athletic one up a size from my usual, but probably won't get past around 25 weeks with that at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Has anyone ever found maternity swimwear that isn't terrible for swimming solid workouts and decent distances? Everything I'm seeing online from UK sites is fugly as hell and has a U back which I find gives almost no boob support and that's a big problem for me. I'm 17 weeks at the moment and have a normal Speedo athletic one up a size from my usual, but probably won't get past around 25 weeks with that at this rate.

My sister had a really nice one from Mamas and Papas. Her booobs have gotten massive (she is very close to her due date now) and it was very comfortable and she went swimming a fair bit during her pregnancy.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Thanks, will have a look. Already feeling comedy oversized here less than halfway through - up 5 cup sizes already.

Dating your pregnancy--

I'm currently 3/4 weks pregnant (according to the digital tests) and called to book in with my consultant this morning.
    My last pregnancy ended with a miscarriage sadly somewhere between the 9 week scan (strong healthy heardbeat) and 11 weeks where the little one just slipped away. As a result the consultant would like to see me at 7 weeks on this pregnancy.

After making the call and being told that she will call me on Friday with an appointment date I've been wondering about my dates. My ovulation on this cycle was a bit odd (used Clearblue OPKs and had 11 days of flashing smiley faces before getting a solid full on smiley face on day 12 which was Oct 2nd period was due on the 10th but tested positive on the 9th with 3 tests not using FMU so can't have been testing early:confused:).
    So here is my confusion - am I 3-4 weeks as per the digital test or am I 5 weeks dating from the first date of my LMP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They'll use the date of your LMP until scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Penny, I'm so happy for you. Congrats!

• Advertisement

I need to pee. Again.
    Its about the millionth time this morning.

This is how you drop the lbs in the first trimester. Lots of walking to the loo!

Advertisement