Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop for the Wife

Options
  • 20-01-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking to buy new laptop for the wife. She's studying her H Dip as mature student and also teaching beginners computers at local VEC college at night.

Some pointers :

Budget: between 600 and € 800..and I can get the VAT back by buying though a mates company

Intended use:
    Needs it for university lectures (using MS Office etc)
    Needs it for presenting her lectures to the VEC classes she is giving
    Needs internet access
    No requirement for games,programming or any heavy duty stuff like that.

Mobility: Needs to be pretty portable and robust 'cos will be moved around a fait bit.

Warranty:
    Probably standard warranty...I assume if its a Dell it will be solid enough but given it will be moved around a bit I'm open to suggestions.

Other Info
    Do not need a laptop bag 'cos have one already
    Battery life would be important
    Living in Galway and have NTL wireless broadband in the house for my own work related stuff so I assume will need decent built in modem.
    Have used Dell myself for last few years and never had a problem with it so assume will go the Dell route.
    Screen - getting on in years so would prefer decent quality screen.

Any advise much appreciated.

Flan

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How about this vostro? It has a 14" screen so it should be pretty portable. It has a 6 cell battery so that should give pretty good battery life. You can upgrade the battery to a 9 cell. This will give much better battery life but it will add to the weight and it'll stick out a bit. That laptop is €600ish excluding vat and delivery so it should be within budget.

It only has a one year warranty but you can upgrade that when it runs out fairly cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Slightly off-topic, but if she's teaching computers with a VEC surely they'd be in a position to provide her with a laptop for full-time use? My aunt is in a very similar role with a VEC and has a Toshiba tablet PC for her sole use afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flantheman

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but if she's teaching computers with a VEC surely they'd be in a position to provide her with a laptop for full-time use? My aunt is in a very similar role with a VEC and has a Toshiba tablet PC for her sole use afaik.
    She only works evening and part time so is not supplied with a laptop.

Advertisement