Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell laptop keyboard issues

• 15-10-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Working on a laptop here and the keyboard keys will only work if you press down the fn key.
    Has anyone come across this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Which keys? There are pretty much always some functions that need to have the Fn key used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Try the Numlock key. On laptops, it makes the Function key work all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Hi lads,

Sorry I didn't explain it very well. What I mean is if I wanted to type any key I would have to hold in the fn key.
    So if I wanted to type "d" I would have to press fn at the same time or else it wouldn't come up.
    Weird one. Hasn't seen it before.
    Wondering if its hardware related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

If you don't use the Fn key what happens when you press d, j and k?

What model laptop do you have?

If you don't use the Fn key what happens when you press d, j and k?

Nothing. They only work if I hold in fn. Its a dell latitude d630

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

you could either plug in a usb keyboard, or,

buy a replacement UK layout keyboard:

http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/category-112/dell-d630-keyboard.html

they're easy enough to fit, just mind when you're taking off the bezel at the top that once you pry it from the edge, don't pull straight up or it will snap. just ease it gently along popping the tabs as you go. then use a small crosshead swrewdriver to remove the screws in the top of the keyboard.
    be careful aswel, use maybe your fingernail to pry open the keyboard connector (fragile!)..

you could either plug in a usb keyboard, or,

buy a replacement UK layout keyboard:

Hi, thanks I just wanted to see if it might be software related before buying any parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Is it only for letters? what about arrow keys and the F1-12 keys? Try just going into the bios and see if it's still like that. If it is then it's hardware if not then it's windows (or whatever os you have)

Advertisement